1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 104 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Auto Pilot Pulsating During Approach

Hey All,

During the past several flights I've noticed a pulsation in the yoke during final approach (slow speed) and while on Auto Pilot. The pulsation ceases when I turn off the AP so I know its originating from one of the AP servos; most likely the pitch. The pulsing doesn't result in any noticable movement of the airplane. I can feel small (<1mm) movement at ~1-2 hz in the yoke. There is no pulsating during cruise.

I spoke with Embraer tech rep and they have no knowledge of said condition.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks.
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 27 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Has this just recently started happening, or is it possible you didn’t notice it previously? Nearly every aircraft I’ve flown with digital autopilots does what you’re describing to some extent, including Garmin systems all the way up to transport category airplanes. It’s only really noticeable if you put your hand on the yoke or stick with the autopilot engaged.

From what I remember, when the autopilot is in approach mode the tolerances are tightened up compared to cruise. This will cause quicker responses in the controls. Unless what you’re seeing is indeed something new or is getting worse, not just something you’ve recently noticed that may have always happened, I personally wouldn’t be too worried. For what it’s worth, I did autopilot testing and calibration with Garmin and other manufacturers for a number of years.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    My aircraft will do this in a more pronounced way when descending close to the barber pole at higher g(Username Protected) weights. This was related to TAC tuning and the control loop timing between the AP and the TAC at higher airspeeds.
  4. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 104 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    This is a new phenomenon. The yoke of course always moves incrementally especially during approach but the pulsing is new. Been going on for perhaps the last 5 flights. I have been a bit heavier than normal given we've had 4+ folks in the back for most of the past few flights. I have a flight on Sunday solo so I'll see if it continues when light.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 9 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Mine did that a couple days ago while lightly loaded. Just haven’t noticed before might be related to weather conditions?
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 15 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Merry Christmas (Username Protected). Give Chris Grinnell a call. He owns Aerostar aviation in Dallas. Most knowledgeable for everything Phenom. *(469) 917-9077?. [email protected]. Not sure if you remember me or not. I flew with you several times in the beginning. Take care. Hope you have a blessed Christmas