1. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

Partial Phenom 100 Type Rating/Recurrent Recommendations

Hello All;

I am looking for some advice. I have recently been typed in a Phenom 100 paid for by the charter company I work with. Halfway through the type rating they threw a crazy contract at me to sign to go to recurrent training at CAE. I have approximately 3000 hours but I’m stuck in limbo because from what I understand I need to go to recurrent for most insurance. I am considering paying for recurrent training myself but 15k is a lot of money for me right now. I’m looking to build time in right seat of the plane just to build more time! If anyone has any recommendations, would be very open to suggestions!

Thanks all, safe flying
    (Username Protected)
    917-753-1604
  2. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 51 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Did you do the initial type rating in the airplane? If so, you'll likely need a simulator event (recurrent) in the prior 12 months for most insurers, and CAE is the only simulator provider right now. I think the general advice is to avoid paying for a type rating yourself, unless you're trying to do exclusively contract work by the day, in which case you need to be simulator current on your own. If you are planning to fly full or even part time for someone part 91, they will typically budget the recurrent training cost for their pilots, but may want you to stay for all or most of the year (or be paid back if you leave early). If you're flying 135, then you will need to train under the certificate holder anyways, so even if you did pay for your own recurrent, you'd just be sent back again if you get hired on a charter certificate.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 20 times
    Insurance Provider
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Hello All;

I am looking for some advice. I have recently been typed in a Phenom 100 paid for by the charter company I work with. Halfway through the type rating they threw a crazy contract at me to sign to go to recurrent training at CAE. I have approximately 3000 hours but I’m stuck in limbo because from what I understand I need to go to recurrent for most insurance. I am considering paying for recurrent training myself but 15k is a lot of money for me right now. I’m looking to build time in right seat of the plane just to build more time! If anyone has any recommendations, would be very open to suggestions!

Thanks all, safe flying
    (Username Protected)
    917-753-1604
    (Username Protected)-
    Almost all insurance policies you will run into will require that you are 12 months training current (initial or recurrent) for the EMB500 - that doesn't necessarily mean however it has to be CAE within the last 12 months. Some policies may allow you to have in-aircraft recurrent within the last 12 months with a provider they approve (like Shepherd Aero, Norton Aviation or other). So it will depend on the policy you are seeking to be approved on as no two insurance policies/insurers are exactly alike. Certainly if you have done CAE for the 100 in the last 12 months you are going to be approved by ALL Insurers under almost any policy type. The bot(Username Protected) line is insurance is not one size fits all so your results may vary depending on who's policy you are seeking to be approved on.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 25 times
    Insurance Provider
    If it's a Part 135 operation, pilots have to complete training every 6 months in make and model per FAA requirements (typically with an FAA DPE and then sim once a year). The insurance companies only require training every 12 months. It depends on what insurance company the charter company is with, but most of these policies will require 12 month simulator training because they would prefer the V1 cuts and emergencies be practiced in the sim vs in-aircraft.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    If it's a Part 135 operation, pilots have to complete training every 6 months in make and model per FAA requirements.
    Talk about overkill LOL
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    I hate to say it, but just having completed the single pilot type in the 300 I was worked... It was as hard as getting my single pilot b350 type. I can see why the sim every year and I hate the 'dial a death' sim rides. The six month check is more of an instrument and SOP/GOM/Instrument check ride and usually gentlemanly. That is to keep you in the books IMO.