1. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 509 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

ASRS: Phenom 300 Wake Vortex Encounter (2022-12)

Phenom 300 Wake Vortex Encounter

Cleared for the visual for [Runway] 26L following visual contact with a B787. We slowed down, 8 miles in trail, over Intersection PRINO at 8000 ft. MSL. We planned on going one dot above the glideslope. The aircraft hit the wake turbulence, tossing the aircraft into a 65-degree uncommanded left roll before counter inputs from my flying partner righted the ship. No altitude was lost and all control inputs felt normal after the encounter. We decided to continue the approach, flying above the glideslope, and no further wake was encountered. We promptly notified Tower of the incident and attempted to verbally contact Maintenance about my desire for a thorough mechanical inspection of the effects of the turbulence on the aircraft. I ended up having to write the aircraft up without speaking to Maintenance due to the extended hold time. Not sure if the EMB 505 is more susceptible to wake but maybe a study should be done about its susceptibility and perhaps an increased separation for this type of aircraft.

Reporter stated the roll was quite abrupt.

Synopsis

EMB-505 Captain reported encountering wake turbulence on approach to LAS in trail of a B787.