1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 104 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Airport Recommendation -San Francisco Area

I have to be in SFO area next week and I'm looking at OAK, HWD, SJC and LVK as potential airports for 3 nights. As an east-coaster, I am unfamiliar with the SFO airports and I typically fly into Concord or Napa when we visit the wine region.

Based on fuel price OAK is the best bet but HWD is a close 2nd. JSC and LVK would need to be very convenient to justify the high fuel price. All of these airports are a +/- 10 min drive from my hotel.

Looking for feedback from the CA area Phenom brethren. What airport is easy in/out per ATC, noise ordinance/fines, ramp safety, other considerations.

Thanks!
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I have been flying to meetings in downtown San Francisco for years. I found that OAK (Kaiser Air) was the best option. Easy to land on 28R (normally) and the Kaiser FBO is right there on the right. Got an Uber into the city (about a 30 minute ride). Coming back to OAK is easy too, although, traffic gets bad during rush hour. Departing runway for jets is 30 so it is a bit of a taxi from Kaiser.

Other consideration is that Kaiser is CAA and has the cheapest Jet A in the area. Weather is much better than SFO (less fog) and traffic is pretty light, except when passing over HWD (just south of OAK) where you get a lot of GA flights. And the Kaiser staff works to earn your business.
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 104 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Thank you! We'll plan on using Oakland.
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 51 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    EDIT: I fly a Phenom 100, your P300 parking prices might be higher :( !
    I operate out of Hayward, most of the time, for cheaper ramp parking that more than offsets any fuel difference with OAK. CAA pricing at Meridian Hayward is free for the first 7 nights, then 135 per night (last time I checked, probably worth a call to verify). Kaiser Air (CAA at Oakland) is free the first night, then either 85 or 100 per night. Landing fee is $66 at OAK, none at Hayward. Depending on how far you're coming from, these price differences may not be much on the total trip cost, but choosing Hayward has saved us $100's in parking fees and they're really nice people. At Hayward there's an RNAV with LPV guidance/minimums into the 5200' 28L. Oakland's 28L is 6000' and of course they have a 10,000' 30 if you were coming in very heavy and needed big wet runway performance numbers...unlikely this time of year. Constant Aviation (Embraer Service Center) operates a mobile truck out of SFO, and Oakland (Kaiser) and Hayward (AFC Works) both have on site maintenance that can handle most tasks.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Bay Area airports

I fly into the Bay Area frequently and it all depends where you are going. Traffic can be a nightmare, so if HWD is closer than OAK or visa-versa, use the airport nearest where you are going. OAK and HWD are both good alternatives if you're going to be in the east bay. Avoid SFO like the plague!
  6. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 27 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) (Username Protected) View Post
    EDIT: I fly a Phenom 100, your P300 parking prices might be higher :( !
    I operate out of Hayward, most of the time, for cheaper ramp parking that more than offsets any fuel difference with OAK. CAA pricing at Meridian Hayward is free for the first 7 nights, then 135 per night (last time I checked, probably worth a call to verify). Kaiser Air (CAA at Oakland) is free the first night, then either 85 or 100 per night. Landing fee is $66 at OAK, none at Hayward. Depending on how far you're coming from, these price differences may not be much on the total trip cost, but choosing Hayward has saved us $100's in parking fees and they're really nice people. At Hayward there's an RNAV with LPV guidance/minimums into the 5200' 28L. Oakland's 28L is 6000' and of course they have a 10,000' 30 if you were coming in very heavy and needed big wet runway performance numbers...unlikely this time of year. Constant Aviation (Embraer Service Center) operates a mobile truck out of SFO, and Oakland (Kaiser) and Hayward (AFC Works) both have on site maintenance that can handle most tasks.
    I am inclined to agree with (Username Protected)
    For years, I used Kaiser air at KOAK, but recently discovered Meridian at Hayward (KHWD).
    Not only were they much cheaper, with respect to overnight parking, they eloped with getting rental car. First time users get a hat/t-shirt too…ask for Jenny.
    The only potential disadvantage of KHWD is getting out of there if the weather around Oakland and SFO is bad…then you may have to wait on the ground for a while. So, watch out for that potential gotcha…
  7. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Good comments in this thread. I agree on picking based on where you're actually going in the Bay Area. I have used SJC, OAK, and HWD a number of times. I mostly use HWD now but that's because our investors' office is in Menlo Park, not downtown San Francisco. If I was actually going to downtown San Francisco, I'd probably use OAK.

Meridien at HWD is definitely the best value. IFR Departures from HWD do conflict with OAK landing traffic, so sometimes the wait for release can take time, but this is offset by the fact that OAK jet departures require a ridiculously long taxi to runway 30 for noise abatement. (Maybe that's only during certain hours of the day?)
  8. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 51 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected) - Oakland used 30 for all jet departures 24/7 for noise abatement.
    I generally comply 99% of the time (it's non-regulatory of course) but was cleared 28L departure the one time, I requested it. Ground had said 'jets requested to use 30' but I confirmed I wanted 28L and was given taxi instructions without any further issue. I received a letter in the mail from the Port of Oakland asking me to please comply. I'm sure some people do it more frequently.
    Side note: A fully loaded King Air 350 had departed ahead of me and probably made a lot more noise than me (solo occupant + light fuel load = short takeoff run and quick climb to initial altitude), but I didn't think it was wise to get into technicalities.

Agreed that weather (when Oakland is not on visual approaches) causes hold for release times at HWD, but over the course of a few dozen, my average wait time is probably 5 minutes, with only one going beyond 10 minutes (it was a solid 25 for some reason that day). On VFR days there are often still delays of a few minutes, it's probably only 25% of the time that I get cleared for takeoff on initial tower contact.
  9. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 104 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks for the recommendations. I am going into HWD, will let you all know how that works out.
  10. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I'll be there Thursday, departing Friday if you happen to catch me.
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    (Username Protected).

We found OAK to be the best choice for us on the west coast. Ease of use, in/out of the airspace no problem. Fuel cost.

Safe Travels.

Matt (Username Protected)
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I recently had meetings in Palo Alto and flew into HWD. Meridian is CAA there, and did a great job. Much easier to drive across to Silicon Valley than I would have anticipated (~25-minute Uber ride).
  13. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 104 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    PIREP - Hayward Meridian FBO was great, very friendly staff, car plane side, fuel truck quick as can be. Getting into KHWD Hayward was easy enough, cleared us for the RNAV 28L 50 miles out. Getting out took a bit longer. It was a VFR day and the pattern was jammed with bug smashers. It took us about 15 minutes to finally get off the ground.