1. Username Protected

Thanked 20 times
    Praetor/Legacy Owner & Pilot

CBP asking for pilot's license?

This is probably a better question for a bigger general purpose pilot forum, but I don't really participate elsewhere.

Daniel and I flew CYYZ to KSJC today in our Praetor, the two of us up front and no pax. Did all the eAPIS and PTL stuff.

CBP was there when we arrived on ramp at Atlantic, and were very chill. But for the first time in my experience, the agent checking our passports also asked ot see our "pilot's licenses". He checked our names on them matched our passports and the APIS, but never turned the cards over to see if we had type ratings.

We do quite a bit of international flying, and have never experienced this before. What about other folks?
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 33 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Hi (Username Protected), I have had this happen to me occasionally. It is not common, but it has happened/ Even at the same location (San Juan), they have asked for it once and did not ask when I came through there a second time. how is your Praetor treating you?
  3. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I even had to show my Medical, Aircraft Registration and Airworthiness Cert once in South Florida.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 11 times
    Phenom Pilot
    All depends on the agent and what he or she feels like doing on any given day. I had one ask for it somewhere and my response was “it’s in my wallet on the plane, I’ll be right back”. He just waved me off and said something about having it on me but didn’t make me go fetch it.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    All depends on the agent and what he or she feels like doing on any given day. I had one ask for it somewhere and my response was “it’s in my wallet on the plane, I’ll be right back”. He just waved me off and said something about having it on me but didn’t make me go fetch it.
    I get asked for this at TPA every now and then. Depends on the agent
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 41 times
    Praetor/Legacy Owner & Pilot
    The only time I've been asked for my pilot's license, other than insurance or a checkride, has been by USA cus(Username Protected)s in Bedford, MA. That's with flying to quite a few international destinations over the last year.
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    This is probably a better question for a bigger general purpose pilot forum, but I don't really participate elsewhere.

Daniel and I flew CYYZ to KSJC today in our Praetor, the two of us up front and no pax. Did all the eAPIS and PTL stuff.

CBP was there when we arrived on ramp at Atlantic, and were very chill. But for the first time in my experience, the agent checking our passports also asked ot see our "pilot's licenses". He checked our names on them matched our passports and the APIS, but never turned the cards over to see if we had type ratings.

We do quite a bit of international flying, and have never experienced this before. What about other folks?
    I have had this happen a lot even when making a typical run from the Diamond factory to the first cus(Username Protected)s stop in the USA. I just expect it and pull my med cert and pilots license and hand over with passport while filling out the blue form.
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Seems to be completely port and officer dependent. BGR yesterday just took my picture but Atlanta cus(Username Protected)s that met us at PDK one time asked for my medical and certificate and then flipped it over and asked which type rating allowed me to fly the Phenom we just got out of. I agree it feels odd to be asked but they do have every right to.
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    In Niagara Falls, we always get asked for “whos the captain”, and then the PIC is asked for his license and medical along with passport. We always just stuff the license and medical in both pilots passports and stack them in the order of how we’ll deplane.