1. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Researching Phenom 100

Winglets for Phenom 100 ?

Has there been any discussion about winglets to improve the performance of the Phenom 100 ?
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 11 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Not by Embraer.
  3. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Back at the 2017 convention, Tamarack (https://www.tamarackaero.com) was passing out information on their Active Winglet solution for the Phenom 100. Embraer said during on the Q&A session that year that they looked at the Tamarack solution but didn't find enough improvement to support the project. I have not heard anything since.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    Thank you for the information. Interesting reply from Embraer. (Username Protected).
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 29 times
    Other Services Provider
    Wow! It sure does change the looks of this CJ. During my time at Embraer the EMB-145XR was an EMB-145LR with winglets bolted on. The winglets changed low speed characteristics so much that strakes were added. The Legacy600/650 derivative also has strakes. The Phenom300 doesn't need strakes because the horizontal stabilizer is optimized for a wing with winglets. To enhance (Username Protected)' statement, the cost would likely be more than adding winglets and the active system. Engineering work to the tail may be required to achieve a small range improvement. How many kits need to be sold to achieve ROI?
    I hope this helps.
    Name:  012621 Tamarack Fly-Off_2233.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  776.3 KB
  6. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 56 times
    Aircraft Broker
    Hi (Username Protected) - I worked with Tamarack directly on this project for the P100s. Please contact me if you want further details. (Username Protected) 470 791-8984
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    I will. I'm just trying to get my head around the requirement (supposedly) to beef up the tail. What specifically needs to be reinforced ? The horizontal stab ? The elevator ? The vertical stab ? The rudder ? I'm obviously not a structural engineer, but I am curious as to why winglets have not been offered. As far as I know, Tamarack has them for the Citation M2 without any tail mods. (Username Protected).
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 29 times
    Other Services Provider
    Hi (Username Protected),

Winglets effectively increase the span of the wing, creating more lift. This requires the horizontal stabilizer to be larger for more leverage. Strakes cup the air under the tail, they give the horizontal stabilizer more leverage to push the nose down in a stall.

Here's an extreme. It started as a Super King Air Model 200 with a large, high lift wing for good runway performance and a standard "T" tail to match that wing. When they stretched the cabin to fit 19 seats, the Model 1900 tail needed more leverage. Vertical stabilons and horizontal stabilons were added to give the "T" tail more surface area. The next change, Model 1900D, added winglets, giving this big wing more lift. With the winglets, strakes were added for more tail stability.

All aircraft react differently. As I understand it, the Phenom100 will need larger tail feathers if winglets are added. (Username Protected) can explain the liability aspect.
    I hope this helps.
    Name:  Beech1900D_2.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  17.9 KB
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    Makes sense to me now. I always thought the 1900 had a "band-aide" approach to the tail. I guess it was the most economical way to get the "tail power" to counteract the increased wing lift. Thanks, (Username Protected).
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot

I’d be interested too

Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Hi (Username Protected) - I worked with Tamarack directly on this project for the P100s. Please contact me if you want further details. (Username Protected) 470 791-8984
    is this still a thing?
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 18 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    When Embraer first offered the "Speed Break" retrofit for the -100, we did an extensive study at JetSuite and discovered the performance improvement was very minimal compared to the cost!
    Although, we could have saved a couple of haul losses as the result of runway excursions?
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    The best way to try to get this project jump started would be a JV between a group of owners and Tamarack or an engineering firm.

The type as a whole would benefit from some performance STCs such as the F1-E engine and winglets.

I was just hanging out with the Tamarack crew in Sandpoint earlier this month (08/2022). Sadly, I don't believe this is a project that Tamarack would tackle without the involvement of a large number of owners.