1. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

Transitioning from a Mustang to a Phenom 100

Taking delivery of N241DE next week and will be getting my type rating at Norton Aviation.

I've been flying a Mustang off and on since 2014, sold it last summer due to CV19 shutdowns. If anyone has any tips, tricks or training materials they'd like to share I'd appreciate it.

I initially was going to move into a Premier 1, but the Phenom just seems like a better fit for us. Plus I'm used to Garmin so hoping this will be an easy transition. Planning to do the NXi upgrade later this spring - I had it in the Mustang and it's fantastic.
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 65 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected),
    Congratulations. You're going to enjoy the plane. I made the same transition and having the experience on the Garmin G1000, you'll find the transition very straightforward, though each OEM uses some different features of the 1000. The biggest issue you'll find, as widely discussed on this site, is the differences in landing qualities. The Mustang goes straight down the runway, the brakes work fantastic with excellent feedback, approach speeds are a bit lower, and you have spoilers top and bottom of wing. Your Phenom, like ours, doesn't have the spoilers and those that do appear to not be very effective. One advantage of Norton is you'll have a lot of seat time and landings. Getting the technique down, staying on the numbers and making sure you always have enough runway plus some, is critical. This is not as forgiving of an aircraft as the Mustang. Norton should send you their materials prior to training.
    Enjoy, you'll find a lot of help on this site with questions that come up.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 14 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected),
    Norton is top notch. I trained with them in my aircraft. Phenom blows away Mustang and most other Citations for that matter, IMO. I am typed in both and love my Phenom. Fly it on the numbers, get the power off at 50 feet, and don’t float and the landings are piece of cake. Don’t fiddle with the brakes, just do a smooth half deep application and hold, and the aircraft will slow nicely on rollout. Have fun!
    (Username Protected)
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks for the tips and recommendations. One thing that the Mustang had going for it is the ability to add an extra 20 gal of fuel just before takeoff, putting it over the 385 gal max fuel capacity. At cruise altitude, that equated to another 15 minutes of flight or another 75-90 nm of range. Anything like that available on the P100? Trying to figure out real-world range - I'm guessing it's between 1000-1100nm no wind, with 600 lbs remaining on a VFR landing day.
  5. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Thanks for the tips and recommendations. One thing that the Mustang had going for it is the ability to add an extra 20 gal of fuel just before takeoff, putting it over the 385 gal max fuel capacity. At cruise altitude, that equated to another 15 minutes of flight or another 75-90 nm of range. Anything like that available on the P100? Trying to figure out real-world range - I'm guessing it's between 1000-1100nm no wind, with 600 lbs remaining on a VFR landing day.
    No secrets like that. I remember talking to someone who was a DPE about this topic on the Mustang (I am not typed in it), and he looked at me with a puzzled look and inquired why people were admitting to breaking a limitation on purpose? I shrugged and decided I should keep my mouth shut.

Plan for the 100 to be at or just slightly shorter than your Mustang.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Well I just heard that from a guy, who heard it from a guy.
  7. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 65 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), unfortunately not. You’ll be lucky to get more than 2750# in the wings. We flight plan for 2730#. Many others on the site find the same.
  8. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected) - congrats! I saw on CJP that you are taking delivery soon. The type rating with Norton should be a breeze considering all your Mustang experience. Did they send you all the manuals yet?
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Yes, but learning by reading a POH or AFM is really tough. It's such dry reading, and much better for answering questions than for presenting information in a format that you can absorb it.
  10. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 39 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Congratulations on your new Phenom! You’re going to love it. The NXi is an excellent upgrade as well. It breaths new life into the already robust G1000. Please let me know if I can help in any way with your transition. I am fu time contract/mentor pilot on both Phenoms. 8179038152 [email protected]
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 35 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected),

Good to meet you Saturday at SRQ. Good luck - you are going to enjoy the plane!

If I can help in any way, feel free to reach out to me.
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Researching Phenom 300
    (Username Protected),
    How was your experience with Norton, training-checkride?
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), it was a complete bust. I was matched with an instructor that just did not work for me at all. Without going into detail, I cut my losses on day 2 of flying - helped along by a GCU failure - and paid the seller to fly my wife and I home in the plane. I briefed Tom Norton on the experience and he is going to make it right, but it was a huge waste of time and money for me.
  14. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Sorry to hear that (Username Protected)! I have only heard the best about Tom himself especially, can't speak about the instructors.
  15. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Sorry to hear that. For what it's worth, I loved my Norton instructor.
  16. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I've heard only good things about Norton Aviation too.
  17. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 39 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    I’m sorry to hear that (Username Protected). Please let me know if I can help in any way. I am a full time contract/mentor pilot on both the 100 and 300. Maybe a little time in the plane and a new instructor or even CAE will help. I want you to love your Phenom like everyone else does. I’ll help in any way I can. 8179038152 [email protected]
  18. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I have only had great experiences with Norton since my first type rating in 2010. I did my Eclipse, Phenom 100 and Phenom 300 initials with them. I currently have to go to CAE for 300 recurrent because the insurance company demands it, but would love to do more with Norton.

Great that Norton is going to make things right, they have always treated me very fairly too.
  19. Username Protected

Thanked 35 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I’ve used Norton and his team since 2013. I’ve done Edlipse recurrents, Commercial checkride, ATP checkride, Phenom 100 initial and several Phenom recurrents. I have only the highest respect for Norton Aviation.

My experiences have been extremely rewarding - learning a lot every time. I can’t think of a reason that I wouldn’t recommend them. Glad to hear they’re making it right for you.
  20. Username Protected

Thanked 11 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    I am really surprised and sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with Norton Aviation. I have been a customer of Norton Aviation since I bought my Eclipse in 2014. I did my initial Type in the Eclipse, multiple recurrent training programs, my Commercial and ATP licenses, and my initial Type two months ago in the Phenom 100.

I have also trained at Flight Safety and CAE multiple times for other aircraft and love the flexibility that Norton provides in comparison. I have used multiple instructors and they have all been great and very professional.

I hope that you find a training experience that is a better fit for you because you will love the Phenom!

(Username Protected)
    N685AS