1. Username Protected

Thanked 41 times
    Praetor/Legacy Owner & Pilot

Ramp parking

Does anyone have any practical experience about outside parking for your aircraft? I have always hangared my aircraft but I'm looking at a few airports that don't have hangar space available.

I understand that in cold climates a hangar is required unless you want to spend lots of money and time de-icing the aircraft.

However, what about a mild climate that is sunny all the time but doesn't go much above 32 C and much below 5 C?

What about a climate that is regularly 45 decrees C and very sunny?

I know temperature accelerates aging. If you let the AC temperature get high inside will that significantly diminish the lifetime of the electronics and the interior?

I look at smaller aircraft parked out in the sun for years and they don't look happy. Do larger aircraft have better paint?

I'm looking for someone to tell me. "I parked my aircraft in the sun for 3 three years and it routinely hit 42 degrees C. Just throw a cover over the cockpit and it will be fine." Or, "Hell no, what are you thinking. I did that and my aircraft needed new shades, new cockpit interior, and new paint job every year."

Thanks in advance.
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    I'm looking for someone to tell me. "I parked my aircraft in the sun for 3 three years and it routinely hit 42 degrees C. Just throw a cover over the cockpit and it will be fine." Or, "Hell no, what are you thinking. I did that and my aircraft needed new shades, new cockpit interior, and new paint job every year."
    As far as I know NetJets never hangar their Phenom 300 fleet. Not sure how often they get repainted but I have not seen a faded looking NetJets plane.
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 56 times
    Aircraft Broker
    Having transacted over 100 Phenoms I can tell if they've been outside most of their lives. Now that lead is gone from paint they don't hold up as well. If you're stuck outside it's not the end of the world. Use your engine/pitot covers religiouslu and I highly suggest an annual permaguard - either way I suggest permaguard every couple of years. It makes a difference when you go to sell.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 41 times
    (Username Protected) - very useful info. I have never heard of permaguard. Do you know if this gets delivered on new Embraer aircraft?

I'm looking at $800 per night hangar costs vs $161 on the ramp. That's $292k vs $59k per year and goes a long way towards repainting the aircraft. However, it wouldn't make sense to save that money every year and significantly depreciate the aircraft in the process. Permaguard looks like it could take care of one of my significant concerns - the paint.
  5. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 56 times
    Aircraft Broker
    It does not get delivered new - there are several distributors around the US. Chris Grinnell has a vendor in Dallas - should be under $6k.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Maintenance Provider
    Hi (Username Protected),
    If you are interested in a paint coating system, we can quote and coordinate that during your next maintenance visit. We have an approved vendor that has multiple options to choose from for coatings. Just let us know if you are interested and we'll get it out to you asap.
  7. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 56 times
    Aircraft Broker
    (Username Protected) - thanks for sharing - do you have a list of the options that you can post? Love to see what's out there. I have no skin in the game just want to make the best recommendations for my clients. Thanks
  8. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 123 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) (Username Protected) View Post
    Hi (Username Protected),
    If you are interested in a paint coating system, we can quote and coordinate that during your next maintenance visit. We have an approved vendor that has multiple options to choose from for coatings. Just let us know if you are interested and we'll get it out to you asap.
    Since it looks like it's (Username Protected)'s first post, and he's way too modest of a guy to promote himself, let me unabashedly sing his praises!

(Username Protected) is the General Manager at Pro Star Aviation in MHT (Manchester, NH), previously he ran the (sadly no longer in existence) BDL service center for Embraer.

I've known (Username Protected) since 2010, if memory serves, and he is the most stand-up guy I think I've ever dealt with in aviation. It's always been a true pleasure to work with him on the care and feeding of various Phenoms over the years. Anyone even remotely near NH should consider Pro Star just based on the strength of their management alone.
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Maintenance Provider
    Hello (Username Protected),
    Our vendor is approved to install Permagard (https://www.permagard.com), and Toughguard (https://toughguard.com). They also have a teflon product and conventional wax as well.
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Maintenance Provider
    (Username Protected),

I truly appreciate the kind words and plug for Pro Star!
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 33 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Having worked with (Username Protected) in the past in his previous life at Embraer BDl, I echo (Username Protected) comments.
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 28 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    My 2010 Phenom still has good paint from always being hangared. Some light oxidation on the top surfaces.

Is it worth putting Permaguard on aircraft paint this old?
  13. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 56 times
    Aircraft Broker
    If you can still get a good gloss from polishing I would look into the Permaguard. If polishing won't restore the gloss, the Permaguard will still slow the oxidation. However, a new paint job may make a great late Father's Day gift.
  14. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 123 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Yesterday I was taxiing in at home field, in a 2010 P-100 with original paint. Plane had Permaguard done about 4 years ago.

Controller asked us if we just had the plane re-painted as he and another controller were noticing how good it looked. So, could be worth it if underlining paint is still good.
  15. Username Protected

Thanked 35 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    My Phenom spent the first half of its life outside in central/south America I believe. My paint is almost 11 years old and the oxidation is noticeable, and next year (hopefully) I'm doing a repaint. The last 3 years it really only gets hangared when we're home (about 2-4 days a week). Ceramic coating annually helps, as does having an experience detailer manage that. You don't want someone over polishing and cutting in to your finish.

Dubai, you're dealing with a way more extreme environment and I think you'll be fine short term. Hopefully you can find a hangar or shaded parking to help with the finish within a year or two. More importantly a hangar to keep dust out of all the external bays.
  16. Username Protected

Thanked 41 times
    Thanks everyone for all of the replies. I'm likely going to work out a strategy where the plane is in an AC hangar when it's very hot and shaded parking other times.

Sounds like a UV protective coating will be a relatively cheap investment to protect the aircraft when in the sun.

-(Username Protected)
  17. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Moisture

It seems most pilots are blessed with sunny weather most of the times, hence the focus on the sun damaging the paint.
    I am from Europe, Switzerland, to be more exact, and we have a lot of rain in the summer and snow and ice in the winter.
    I bought my Phenom 100 from an owner who was not fortunate enough to find hangar space at Zurich airport, so the airplane had to live outside for 2 years. This caused several problems due to moisture, the most annoying having been that some moisture managed to be trapped in the angle-of-attack vanes turning mechanism, so that during the climb when the temperatures dropped below zero, the trapped moisture froze and blocked the movement of the AoA vanes - which caused a yellow CAS message that the stick pusher mechanism is out of order. Then you needed to push the stick pusher deactivation button to acknowledge the error message and avoid an inadverted/false activation of the stick pusher.
    That was just one of several issues with moisture having been trapped in the airplane.
    Since the airplane lived in a hangar, none of this issues ever appeared again.
  18. Username Protected

Thanked 27 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    This caused several problems due to moisture, the most annoying having been that some moisture managed to be trapped in the angle-of-attack vanes turning mechanism, so that during the climb when the temperatures dropped below zero, the trapped moisture froze and blocked the movement of the AoA vanes - which caused a yellow CAS message that the stick pusher mechanism is out of order. Then you needed to push the stick pusher deactivation button to acknowledge the error message and avoid an inadverted/false activation of the stick pusher.
    Are you checking the AOA drains are clear? The vane heaters should prevent ice from forming even if there is moisture. Airlines almost always leave airplanes outside in the weather and never have problems. It sounds like you might have something else going on to cause this.