1. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 50 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

Lesson learned - let nobody touch your Phenom (and other aircrafts) on off airports

Have now a big mess with my Phenom is stranded on Iceland. Spend three days in Iceland on the way to Europe and as the airports opens at 7am thought good idea to refill the aircraft yesterday already not being at the airport present. It looks so the fuel guy pushed a hole with his nozzle in the boots not saying anything. This morning we departed in icing conditions and got a CAS message for the boots. We turned back as Edingburgh had moderate icing in the forecast. After landing we saw the hole on the ground in a nozzle shape. Local maintenance (hangar 3) did a great job to patch same day. We departed again and issue was the patch sticked well but as there are two layers (silver and black) of the boots with the hole on the silver layer patch was blown away at the first boot cycle. Some pics enclosed (after first flight, patch, and second flight).

Lesson learnt, watch what fuel guys are doing!

Now trying to get someone from Europe or US in. Guess a full boot replacement needed.

(Username Protected)
    Attachments Attachments      
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 27 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Glad you made it back safely. I had a similar issue on Phenom 100 a year ago. The boot material was very dry, chalky looking, and brittle. They were waiting for an opportune to fail and the patch illustrated the poor condition of the surrounding material. We ended up replacing the boots with new ones, and I suspect you will have to do the same. Take a good look at the tail boots as well. They rarely get checked.
    Attachments Attachments  
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 50 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected),
    That looks like not loved boots :-)

At my old Phenom we performed a boot replacement, to many patches after 9 years, believe most came from stones but only in the silver layer what is not such a big issue.

It’s a great advice from you with good treatment.

This boots on this aircraft are a good year old, If someone push a gas nozzle through the best treatment and love does not help.

Yes, the entire boot will be replaced, Aircraft still in Island repair with mobile team coming next week.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 27 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Quote Original Post View Post
    (Username Protected),
    That looks like not loved boots :-)

This boots on this aircraft are a good year old, If someone push a gas nozzle through the best treatment and love does not help.
    Agreed. The boots in the photo were about 12 years old and had unknown care for 10 of those. I personally think treating them annually, especially if the aircraft spends a decent amount of time outdoors, is insufficient. The gray boots seem to get dry and chalky much faster than the traditional black boots. The ones on the tail are hard to see without equipment which makes them even easier to ignore on preflights.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 35 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    I caught a fuel guy in Iceland (Keflavik) mis-fueling my King Air (there is a certain order the 6 tanks must be filled). And, he was dragging the fuel nozzle across the top of the wing, gouging the heck out of it.

Even monitored, some places just don't care (or know how to). One trip through Iceland, they decided to fuel us even though we said to wait until morning, then pulled the King Air in to the heated hangar for the night. So it went from -20C weather to a very warm hangar and pissed out a lot of fuel. Then they charged us for more fuel in the morning so we could complete our crossing.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 14 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Non-Pilot
    Sorry to hear that (Username Protected). Never trust those linefolks!
  7. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 50 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    The story continued. It is very difficult to get Hazard (glue) material to Iceland by air, almost only by ship. The company for the remote service and Embrear could not figure out how to bring it over. As I work in a company with a lot of international logistic it took our team 2 days to figure it out. So we have a flight now by air by tomorrow and hopefully Monday/Tuesday I can pick up the aircraft.
    Plan B was to fly the aircraft with a boot patch to Paris (Embrear Service center) in good weather conditions (no known icing). Reference: MEL 30-13-00 WING DE-ICING SYSTEM

Had some bad luck as there was no good weather in the last days, the only open slot is tomorrow but the French ATC go on strike tomorrow - I’m not kidding.

Keep you posted.

(Username Protected)