1. Username Protected

Thanked 24 times
    Other Services Provider

Mexico Changing Entry Procedure for Private Aircraft

This is a “heads up” and is preliminary but some persons have begun to communicate it. We had hoped to have more answers to the tough questions than we presently have but wanted to get this out there. We do know that the following is being communicated to those airports in Mexico with an AFAC office.

Mexico's AFAC is planning to change the entry process for foreign aircraft.

Historically Mexico’s Civil Aviation law said that PERMITS were NOT required of foreign aircraft but rather an AUTHORIZATION. Nonetheless, for many years the authorization was called a Single Entry and Multiple Entry Permit. This year (2023) they changed the Civil Aviation Law and its Regulation, and the concept of a Multiple Entry Authorization was eliminated.

It appears that Mexico’s AFAC is eliminating the reference to a Single Entry Permit and a Multiple Entry Permit and replacing it with a "Single Entry Authorization" (Autorización de Internación Única) which will be valid for 180 days. There are ambiguous references which could be interpreted that the authorization could be used like the previous Multiple Entry Permit for a period of 180 days but that is not yet clearly specified. For now, assume this new authorization is like the old Single Entry Permit which is valid for 180 days or when the aircraft leaves the country, whichever comes first. There are also plans to replace the old procedures for the arrival processing of foreign registered aircraft into Mexico. In the meantime, they plan to continue to use the old procedure until the new procedure comes out in the first half of 2024.

The biggest issue we see is that the NEW Single Entry Authorization must be requested 2 DAYS BEFORE the aircraft arrives in Mexico. There is no explanation of what will happen when an aircraft arrives in Mexico that did not request their authorization 2 days in advance nor is there any mention of how this prior approval process is going to work to request an authorization in advance. Obviously the 2 day prior permission required is going to pose challenges to aviation tourism.

Given the time of year, we are hoping that the AFAC will postpone this implementation or offer a grace period until the procedure is better defined, explained and communicated. There is a lot of concern being raised in Mexico regarding this new procedure so there is still hope that a postponement may take place. However, if you are planning a flight to Mexico after December 31, 2023, you should investigate what the final requirements are before departure. We hope to have more in the coming days.

2. Username Protected

Thanked 24 times
    Other Services Provider
    As of right now, the "un-official" procedure (unofficial because nothing has been published in an AIC or NOTAM) is as follows:
    - If you are presently in Mexico under the old Multiple-Entry Permit, get out before 23:59 LT on December 31. Do not take ANY chances, get your plane out
    - If you are in Mexico and entered with a Single-Entry Permit, which is valid for 180 days or until the aircraft leaves the country, you should be OK
    - Starting January 01, 2024 there will be a Single-Entry Authorization (SEA) which should work like the old Multiple-Entry Permit but only for 180 days
    - The minimum 2 day notice requirement seems to have slid to a minimum 2 day recommendation (more on why this could be a big issue in a moment).
    - Before the SEA can be issued, each comandanica at a Mexican International Airport must obtain the authorization Number from AFAC Headquarters in Mexico City after submitting all of the required information to headquarters. We have been told that they plan to have the central email address at AFAC headquarters staffed weekends and holidays.

Where I anticipate two potential issue are:
    1) Today, each Comandancia generates their own authorization number. Under the new procedure each comandancia must obtain it from the central AFAC headquarters. I do not know if anyone in headquarters has calculated how many aircraft arrive in Mexico per year needing an authorization, divide that number by 365 days and considered how a single email address will be staffed to receive the request, process the information and issue the permit number. What is worse is that those arrivals are not evenly spread throughout the year but rather are highly seasonal. For example, these coming months are the peak travel period, and the volume will be at its peak. Therefore, I would urge everyone planning to fly to Mexico to contact the AFAC at the airport that they plan to use and submit their request ahead of time wherever possible.

2) The Authorization is NOT VALID without the authorization number from the central AFAC headquarters and I foresee that authorizations are not going to be instantaneous like before and those aircraft that planned to continue on to another airport or airstrip in Mexico could wind up stuck at the airport of entry waiting on their authorization.

Right now, behind the scenes, there is a lot of internal scrambling going on within the comandancias trying to get clarifications as well as amongst the FBO's, Handlers and airport operators. For example, is there going to be a specific format that we need to fill out for the authorization request. If an airplane that entered the country is ready to depart but their authorization has not been approved can they depart or are they grounded there. Is it confirmed that we can enter and leave the country during the 180 day period like we used to with a Multiple-Entry Permit. Where will pilots get the email addresses for the airport they plan to fly into, etc. etc.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Researching Phenom 300
    Seems like they don't want GA pilots in Mexico.
    Been there multiple times in the PC12.
    With all the electronic flight tracking (ADSB) why this crap is even required is beyond my scope of comprehension. Idiots following idiots. Yup, please tell em I said so .

You fellas in CA just stop visiting for two months.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Researching Phenom 300
    I've been helping Baja Bush Pilots on these new procedures (and new eAPIS rules), which came out just at the end of December - 12/27 when I received the Mexican announcement. Over last weekend, the Mexican AFAC amended the procedures a bit. Instead of not issuing any multi-entry permits, they have decided (at least in the interim) to allow multi-entries for up to 180 days on the new permit - AIU (Autorización de Internación Única). Although it is termed a single-use (one entry and one departure), you can request multiple operations. This is for Part 91 only.

I fly to Mexico 30x/year and obviously I have an interest in not paying, and spending the time, for a permit each trip.

You do have to send the information to the AOE in Mexico 2 days prior to arrival if you want to avoid delays. Mexico City has been very responsive recently and it has taken 10-30 minutes to get their approval. I'm heading down to La Paz tomorrow for the day, then will do another flight Friday just to check the process at different airports. I'm optimistic that the dust will settle, and perhaps Mexico will also decide to make the process easier.

Many of the airport Comandancia staff I've talked with since I learned of the impending changes in September, were not informed.

We have a lot of information on BBP and (Username Protected) and his team at CST are helpful as well. I've found that Fltplan.com is a bit behind on some of the new rules on APIS and I had to inform them of a few recently.

5. Username Protected

Thanked 24 times
    Other Services Provider
    We have had our customers flying to Mexican Airports Of Entry (AOE) all throughout the country these last 4 days which allows us a broad view of what is going on. Not surprisingly, we are seeing a wide range of interpretations and applications of the new procedure across the AFAC offices across Mexican airports.

One new “document” being requested for the Entry Authorization (AIU) is a Layout Of Passenger Accommodations (LOPA). What we recommend is that you should look in the Weight and Balance section of your POH/AFM and scan the page that shows the physical layout of your aircraft as actually configured. Many aircraft models can have multiple cabin configurations so be sure to scan the layout that matches your current aircraft configuration. To satisfy this requirement, AFAC at some airports are taking pictures of the cabin interior, some require a LOPA, and others are just not asking for anything.

Behind the scenes there is a lot of confusion and frustration within the airport AFAC offices as well as the airport and FBO operators. Here are some scenarios playing out across the country to be aware of:

• Time to get an authorization number from AFAC headquarters to finalize the AIU is varying between 5 minutes to 2 days at the same AFAC offices. There is no clear set of circumstances to define why there is this wide variation in time.
    • Some AFAC offices cannot obtain the necessary payment form to make payment for the AIU which restricts the processing of the AIU. Due to this, at least one airport has yet to issue a single AIU.
    • If an aircraft lands at an AOE and the pilot wishes to continue to another airport in Mexico and has yet to obtain an authorized AIU, they may, or may not, be allowed to go. If allowed to proceed, they will likely be required to return to the original AOE. This has been at the discretion of each AFAC office and not surprisingly, there is no consistency. If you are planning a multi-airport trip within Mexico, plan ahead.
    • If an aircraft is just landing to drop off passengers, you may be allowed to leave but your authorization may not be ready. In this case, “someone” will need to send you the original AIU when it is available. If you return to the USA, do not receive the original AIU, and subsequently fly to another Mexican AOE, the AFAC office at that airport may require that the original AIU that you never received be canceled and that a new AIU be requested, and you start all over again and pay the fee again.
    • Some AFAC offices are taking the position that if you return with different crew and/or different passengers, then an entirely new AIU must be obtained.
    • Each time an AIU is requested, pilots will have to pay the approximately $128 USD fee plus whatever processing fees the airport may add on to it.

We must remember that the leadership and staffing of the AFAC at the central and airport levels have been replaced with Mexican military. The new AFAC employees coming on board are unfamiliar with civil aviation and don’t want to make a mistake. Those AFAC employees that remain from the “old guard” are afraid for their jobs. This new procedure does not have clear guidelines to follow. Not a good combination.

We will continue to monitor and hope that over time the procedures will become more standardized. Standardized to what, we will have to wait and see.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Researching Phenom 300
    I just did a flight to La Paz MMLP today to explore the new process and drop off some friends in their CJ3. I landed, did all the processing for them, my son (and co-captain) and myself, as well as all the aircraft paperwork, fueled, and a new permit in 45 minutes. I made sure I followed the new procedures, and it was a smooth process. The folks at MMLP were professional, efficient and very tolerant when I wasn't sure of all the new steps. It was so fast we had lunch before flying home so we wouldn't have to change the LRA back home in San Diego

My experience has varied at airports across Mexico, but perhaps I've been fortunate and rarely have I had issues.

The airports are adjusting to the new procedures themselves, and no one is sure what the final process may be. I'm very optimistic that it will work out and no more than a minor inconvenience. The Comandante today already had my approval when I landed.

There are some questions regarding crew listed on the permit and being used by other pilots on the same aircraft. Previously the permit usually listed the pilots, however the one I received today did not have any limitations ---- although the Inspector mentioned it may -requiring a new permit with other pilots. Some of the planes I fly are only flown by me, so it isn't an issue - however on the others it may cause an issue for someone else

My son and I are flying down to another airport in Mexico tomorrow to check out their procedures and determine any difference Then maybe another one next week with another plane.
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Researching Phenom 300
    (Username Protected), why are the processes so frigging complicated?

CBP has some new nuances that make zero sense too.

I think that there is not enough discussion amongst those that process us and what actually happens in different parts of the world.

Returning to the US in sailboat is via the Roam App, simply because the boaters have explained very clearly that checking into a commercial port is fraught with all types of problems that become logistically almost impossible.

The amount of extra JetA burned to stop at an AOE is not insignificant and an airplane carries a whole lot less.

Those of us vetted (which is practically every pilot) who's also been run through Palantir's service by our Gubermint anyways are not the problem.

Unless we explain how onerous this is for both Customs and for the travelers then more and more bs gets lumped onto the process eventually leading to less and less international travel (on a percentage of pilot population basis).

Guys like (Username Protected) P who do this on a regular basis are okay with spending 3 hours to figure out the process and make sure that their airplanes don't get impounded because of a technicality and those here in the US are just giving up on that because of the additional insurance requirements and headache that is that part of the world. I'm definitely in contact with the US side, but not the Mexican side.

Let my BajaBush pilot membership lapse because Mexico is no longer on my private fly list. Flashpass is also way easier for Bahamas/Caribbean, which while still a pain, won't impound my airplane or add an additional 3k per trip for insurance. It all adds up after a while and you get to the cost vs reward ratio being really bent outta shape.

This is coming from a guy that loves GA.
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 24 times
    Other Services Provider
    Hello (Username Protected), I wish I could give you a good, logical reason as to why Mexico's new procedures are warranted. But I can't.

Over the years I have made many trips to Mexico City to meet with Mexico's Civil Aviation Authority and spent many, many hours in meetings. Up until 2018 I can say that we were able to address a number of issues and avoid them from being implemented or finding ways to reduce the complexity and cost for GA. I won't get into the details here but am happy to answer offline as to what those were. However, when the party that is presently in power came onto the scene, the whole panorama has changed. It is a whole new ball game down here in Mexico. There have been many decisions made which are equally as difficult to comprehend but they are what they are. I understand your sentiments and frustration.

As a company we see this reflected in our operations whereby we see a shift in the destinations that our Premium Services customers request our help with for trips to destinations other than Mexico. The biggest losers are the Mexican people that depend on tourism to sustain their families. It is a real shame all the way around.
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Researching Phenom 300
    My son Tigre and I did another flight to Mexico today, this time in our T206 to get a permit for that plane. While at first it seems a lot of work, with a few planning steps it actually operates smoothly. This time we flew down to San Felipe MMSF, where the staff have always worked hard to make our lives easy. We cleared immigration, obtained the new permit, filed our outbound flight plan, paid the small landing fee --- all in about 20 minutes. Yesterday in La Paz is was just a bit longer, but they were busier and the process is fairly new.

In some ways the process may be smoother than before. You submit the information at least 2 days prior to arrival (your first trip) to the airport. They submit it to Mexico City and obtain a Folio number. The airport Comandancia creates the document and you pick it up upon arrival and pay the fee. While it would be nice to be effective longer, 180 days is reasonable for most people.

I don't purchase additional insurance for Mexico, and just use my main policies. Even if you do want to purchase Mexican liability insurance it is only $250-350/year. A lost less expensive then flying to Europe!

(Username Protected) (CST) and Jack McCormick (BBP) have worked diligently to make some inroads in Mexico and the processes. While I don't like extra work flying, I still love flying and spending time in Mexico!
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 24 times
    Other Services Provider
    The implementation of the new Mexico Entry procedure continues to unfold. Despite no official document or guidelines to substantiate it, the AFAC officials at certain airports in Mexico are adding additional requirements for the issuance of a Single-Entry Authorization know now as an AIU. In addition to the information originally requested, some airports are requesting the following additional documents:

- Picture of exterior of aircraft
    - Picture of interior of aircraft
    - Manifest of the passengers that will be aboard the aircraft when it arrives in Mexico

For those planning a trip to Mexico, it would be a good idea to gather those documents and information in advance so that you are prepared if you are requested to provide them. Stay tuned as this topic unfolds
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    For part 91 operations into Mexico, have any of you recently had issues with operation without 91 LOA's ( MEL/RVSM etc.), single pilot in the Phenom 100/300, age limitation?
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 24 times
    Other Services Provider
    We were told by the FAA that the RVSM LOA was one of the top infractions on US registered aircraft by foreign civil aviation agencies. So far, we are not aware of any violations in Mexico but then again, we review these topics with our customers before their trip begins to make sure they are covered.

Does anyone else have any experience?
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 24 times
    Other Services Provider
    Immigration authorities at the Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo International Airport (MMZH) have added a new twist to the Mexican Entry Authorization process. They have taken the position that since the new entry authorization is called Autorización de Internación Unica (Single Entry Authorization) then it is only valid for a single entry. This is despite the fact that the intent is for it to function as a 6 month multiple entry authorization and it is a civil aviation matter and not an immigration matter. Nonetheless, they have used this as an excuse to charge an extraordinary fee to private aircraft based on an article (Article 14A) in the Mexican tax code. Ironically, the last sentence of that article states “In the case of private aircraft that are used for the private transportation of passengers without profit, the fee for extraordinary immigration services referred to in this section will not be paid.” In other words, the law specifically says that the fee they are going to charge does not apply to non-commercial general aviation flights.

We investigated the cost/benefit of then requesting a new entry authorization but were told that we could not do that because a valid entry authorization already exists and civil aviation will not issue a new one.

You might wonder why Immigration would weigh in on a civil aviation matter and why, if they have concluded that the permit is only valid for a single flight (despite its well-known intent), they would still receive the flight for an additional fee which is specifically prohibited by law? Well, we had that same question and when we queried, we received all the above in writing. You just can’t make this stuff up.