1. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Phenom 100E Hydraulic failures

Phenom 100 owners. We have a 2015 Phenom 100E that we cannot put back into service and are now considering a part out. We have owned this aircraft since factory new and, unfortunately, the Hydraulic System has never met its Technical Description nor functioned as promised by Embraer.

The aircraft has incurred 38 hydraulic system failures and yet Embraer maintains that the aircraft is safe and airworthy. Due to safety concerns, we took it upon ourselves to remove the aircraft from service and park it at Embraer’s facility in Melbourne, FL October 2020. The aircraft remained in their care for 6 months until it was returned to service April 2021. We flew it from Melbourne to one of our facility's and found that the accumulator pressure and fluid levels were low after performing 1 flight. After 7 years of false promises and providing Embraer with countless opportunities to permanently install a safe and reliable hydraulic components, we believe its best to get this aircraft out of service.

Embraer has been given every opportunity to accept responsibility and resolve the issue. Embraer could have taken the aircraft back or engineered a new, reliable, and safe Hydraulic System. Instead, Embraer allowed the aircraft to sit at their facility for yet another “Service Bulletin” implementation that promised to fix the known fleetwide systematic hydraulic issue. After 6 months of the aircraft sitting in Melbourne, Embraer still did not have the compete fix, but returned the aircraft back to service anyway and charged us approx. $30,000 for “storage” fees.

The hydraulic issues with the Phenom 100E’s is not isolated to our aircraft as we have spoken with several handfuls of Phenom 100E owners that have experienced the same issues. The new “Service Bulletin” has been installed on our aircraft, however, the hydraulic issues remain. We are looking at ways to permanently remove this aircraft from service and parting it out is one of our proposed plans. If anyone has any needs for Phenom 100 parts/components or knows of any companies that would interested in purchasing parts please let me know.

Best Regards,

(Username Protected)
    NICHOLAS AIR
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Maintenance Provider

Re. “Phenom 100 hydraulic failures”

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. Could you please elaborate on the type of hydraulic failures you were having. I know it might be point less at t his point but perhaps it can help other owners or operators keep an eye out on any potential hydraulic related issues. Also wondering if you had come up with list of the Phenom 100parts still available. Thanks great post.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Primary issue is the Hydraulic power pack fails in flight. What happens is Embraer replaces the failed pump with another know faulty pump. We were able to track the S/N's and found that when a pump failed it would placed back into circulation without the root cause fixed.

Second most common is the accumulator not maintaining pressure.

There's nothing to really watch for other than to always keep a long dry runway close by. Again this is only on the E models. We so not have this issue on our straight P100's

If you have a Phenom 100E and a pump that hasn't failed I would hold onto it. When the OVH is due demand they overhaul your good pump.
  4. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 104 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Unfortunately, Embraer has a serious parts problem that is not being addressed, at least not publicly. This is not a new problem or a COVID problem. I am in the middle of a P300 landing gear debacle that has once again exposed the weak underbelly of their parts program and fleet support. My P100 had numerous PRSOV failures. A few years ago I went AOG on three consecutive flights all due to PRSOV BLEED FAIL failures. Each time the replacement valve was a "no trouble found" broken part put back on the shelf. I refused to accept another PRSOV unless it was factory new and the problem went away. I had the same issue twice with the GCUs.

Now with my new-to-me P300 they have shipped "bad" Brazilian factory new parts nine times; 9 times! The parts are inspected and rejected by WestStar. Makes you wonder what they are putting on the factory new aircraft. I've been asked to keep quiet on this issue and I've done so for the most part but at this point the truth needs to be known by the fleet. The Phenoms are great airplanes but the shine is getting tarnished.

I hope these parts issues are addressed front and center in Nashville. I know I will bring it up.