1. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

NTSB: Final Report N16DF Runway Excursion Hawthorne, CA

Not a lot of detail in this Final Report, compared to the early runway excursion investigations. Identical setup to many others events: Wet runway, no perceived deceleration, application of Emergency Brakes...

Analysis

The pilot reported that, prior to landing, she obtained weather conditions at the airport, which included calm wind and light rain. After calculating the landing performance, she determined that the destination airport was adequate, and continued the approach to landing. Upon touchdown, she realized that the runway was wetter than anticipated, and applied maximum braking efforts, which included the application of the emergency brake system. Despite the use of maximum braking, the airplane “failed to decelerate at the normal rate.” The pilot initiated a right turn to decelerate, however, the airplane exited the departure end of the runway and impacted approach lighting and the airport perimeter fence, which resulted in substantial damage to the left wing. The pilot reported that there were no preaccident mechanical malfunctions or failures with the airplane that would have precluded normal operation.

The automated weather observation station located on the airport reported that, about 9 minutes before the accident, the wind was from 090° at 3 knots, 7 statute miles visibility and light rain.

Probable Cause and Findings

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:

A runway overrun due to the pilot’s failure to stop the airplane as a result of diminished braking action due to a water contaminated runway surface.
    Attachments Attachments
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    That's a wealth of information LOL

I would be curious to know if the application of the parking brake and locking of the tires would have significantly increase the distance of the Landing, which I suspect it would.

What about Reverted Rubber Hydroplaning? Any indication of said?

Anti-Skid is specifically designed to prevent locking of the tires, which is exactly what happens if you apply the parking brake
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    I think the bottom line is what was briefed by Tom Norton at the owner’s meeting at Newport: if you’re landing on a wet ungrooved runway, you can’t expect the wet numbers in the book. Rather your expected landing distance is the contaminated standing water distance, which I believe is about twice the unfactored dry distance. That number exceeded the LDA at HHR. (Username Protected)’ webinar on the topic can be found on YouTube
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    The other thing to consider is what to plan for when landing on short runways. What do you do if you touch down and get a brake fail CAS? I’ve gotten two in Phenoms, thankfully neither at touchdown (but one of them came on when I put the gear down). Or you are surprised by the runway condition, as in this case, and don’t feel any deceleration? I’ve easily rejected the landing in the sim, but you have to be ready for it and have made the decision before it happens what you’re going to do. Or an anti-skid fail at touchdown? Each of these require thinking through and self-briefing especially if you are SP: hard on normal breaks, rejected landing, or emer brake? We should be thinking about these every time we go into a short runway.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    That's a wealth of information LOL

I would be curious to know if the application of the parking brake and locking of the tires would have significantly increase the distance of the Landing, which I suspect it would.

What about Reverted Rubber Hydroplaning? Any indication of said?

Anti-Skid is specifically designed to prevent locking of the tires, which is exactly what happens if you apply the parking brake

Im just reading the Embraer/CAE Pilot Training Manual and it says:

If no braking action is felt, hydroplaning is probably occurring. Do not apply Emergency/Parking Brake, as it will remove anti-skid protection. Maintain runway centerline and keep braking until airplane is decelerated.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Yes, that's right. Never use emer brakes if normal brakes are available. That's why the anti-skid fail procedure is normal brakes but the brake fail is emer brakes.