1. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times

After market Engine Plugs beware!

FYI to anyone that uses the engine plugs rather than engine covers.
    We no longer will be using the plugs on our 300 as they were about to destroy our engine inlet rings. Basically, while they are Installed after a flight, moisture from either rain overnight or condensation accumulated on the plugs while sitting in non heated baggage compartment during travel builds up and settles between the engine heat inlet and the plug and consequently is eroding the inlets. Yes they are easier to install however there’s a price for this. Thought everyone should know. This goes for 300 and 100.
  2. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Interesting, first I've heard of it but I guess any time you have something super cooled placed somewhere warm it's going to condense. I guess leaving them outside the plane (when it's warm) to come up to temp should help?

(Username Protected)-
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Interesting, first I've heard of it but I guess any time you have something super cooled placed somewhere warm it's going to condense. I guess leaving them outside the plane (when it's warm) to come up to temp should help?

(Username Protected)-
    There are two scenarios at hand here. The second scenario would be if leaving the aircraft on ramp outside in any non dry scenario. If not a dry environment you’re going to have this issue as well. Even morning dew will build up on the lowest point.
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 34 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Based on something I was shown on another Phenom that was at the FLL service center, it seems like you could develop a corrosion issue in the exhaust area from plugs as well. The aircraft was a very early SN# and the aft section of both nacelles were being replaced due to corrosion in the first 2-3 inches from the tailpipe exit. I mentioned that ours had a (Username Protected)ilar look, but not to the deterioration level these were at. I was asked if we used exhaust plug covers regularly. Makes sense that it could trap moisture where the metal and the plug contact. We have Bruce's covers, so at least the inlet side isn't a plug.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Based on something I was shown on another Phenom that was at the FLL service center, it seems like you could develop a corrosion issue in the exhaust area from plugs as well. The aircraft was a very early SN# and the aft section of both nacelles were being replaced due to corrosion in the first 2-3 inches from the tailpipe exit. I mentioned that ours had a (Username Protected)ilar look, but not to the deterioration level these were at. I was asked if we used exhaust plug covers regularly. Makes sense that it could trap moisture where the metal and the plug contact. We have Bruce's covers, so at least the inlet side isn't a plug.
    Correct. Exhaust comes also susceptible. Expensive fix for sure if needed.
  6. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I use Bruce engine plugs on my plane and I am too seeing some wear along the bottom of the engine inlet. The plane also came with flimsier plugs from Embraer, wonder if they have the same issue.

Name:  IMG_3250.jpeg
Views: 2017
Size:  2.01 MB
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I too have had such water pooling in the inlets and get can't evaporate when using the plugs on a gulfstream. Would using the bikini type covers negate this?
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    I too have had such water pooling in the inlets and get can't evaporate when using the plugs on a gulfstream. Would using the bikini type covers negate this?
    Yes I’ve gone back to using the factory bikini type and no more issues. Harder to put on of course but better piece of mind.
  9. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 34 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    No issues in the inlets using the bikini style inlet covers and I've never found water in the inlet after a hard rain when it's sitting outside. We are noticing the wear/possible corrosion in the exhaust area from the plugs. I'm considering switching to the all-weather 3-strap set they make to do away with the plugs altogether.