1. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 25 times
    Researching Phenom 100

Phenom 100 wing deice boots

Hi Folks!
    Does anyone know any reference for cycling the boots periodically?
    As a novice, I failed to find any reference to it in the manuals.
    My question arises from the concern that flying in Southern California, icing has not been a problem or if I have encountered it, it’s been rare, through a descent passing through a couple of layers of precipitation.
    That being the case, how does one know that if the system has not been used, let’s say for a year, that it will work when it is absolutely necessary?
    I guess, the same could be said for engine anti ice system?
    Or, does the system do a self test? If so,I missed that systems class.
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 23 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    There is a section in the SOP that lists the ground test procedure. It’s under “Before Takeoff (Icing Conditions)” on page 78 of Rev. 11. The procedure is fairly complex, so follow the procedure very closely.

Alternatively, you could just check them next time you’re flying. You could run the engine de-ice at the same time. I would recommend waiting until SAT is less than +5°C out of an abundance of caution. When I was flying Q400s for an airline we were required to check them in-flight every day, but that is probably overkill for a personal aircraft.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Other Services Provider
    Hello (Username Protected), I work for a company that manufactures deicers and we have an application for the Phenom 100. It is a good practice to cycle the boots on a regular basis, at least monthly. The system has a constant vacuum that holds the boot down against the leading edge whenever the motors are running. There is moisture in ambient air that is being drawn through the system. There is an electronic valve that changes vacuum to pressure which inflates and deflates the boots when they are cycling. The moisture can build up in the valve and over time can cause it to be sticky or even corrosion. Cycling the boots helps to keep the system "exercised". Be sure and check your operations manual for any specifics that Embraer calls out for your system. Hope this helps.
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 25 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Hello (Username Protected), I work for a company that manufactures deicers and we have an application for the Phenom 100. It is a good practice to cycle the boots on a regular basis, at least monthly. The system has a constant vacuum that holds the boot down against the leading edge whenever the motors are running. There is moisture in ambient air that is being drawn through the system. There is an electronic valve that changes vacuum to pressure which inflates and deflates the boots when they are cycling. The moisture can build up in the valve and over time can cause it to be sticky or even corrosion. Cycling the boots helps to keep the system "exercised". Be sure and check your operations manual for any specifics that Embraer calls out for your system. Hope this helps.
    Hi (Username Protected)
    what is your application for the boots?
    is it a coating?
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    Im not an owner of a 100 (yet) but have owned 2 Dukes and still fly one of them

I assume (this may be in error) that they are likely standard de-ice boots. If yes, just go to Aircraft Spruce and order "Real Shine" boot prep and sealant (2 separate products)

Im sure there are others out there as well but its pretty easy to apply or have your local shop do it. Theyll look new once complete.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    This feedback here is 100% spot on the best practice for the boots. Cycle them regularly!
  7. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 51 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    In addition to cycling to prevent stickiness or corrosion, I was told it's a good idea to clear that moisture out before it possibly condenses onto something and freezes at altitude which could cause issues if you needed to activate it. One note on the ground test: I often get 'D-I WINGSTAB FAIL' if doing it at idle, so I do if I'm taxing with thust above idle (up a slope for instance) or somewhere on the ramp if it's safe to bring the thrust levers above idle.

If I've ever forgotten to do the ground test (not that I have), I'll still do it in the air on the climb and run the boots for a cycle and engine anti-ice for a minute. That way I know the moisture is gone and won't freeze, and that also gives the system a chance to show me any FAIL cas messages if something isn't working.

(Username Protected), I've actually had to use the boots approximately one time in 2.5 years of flying the phenom in California . Engine A-I of course gets used much more frequently, maybe a few times a month.
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 28 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Here is the guide (downloaded from Phenom Pilots) for care and maintenance of the Goodrich Silverboot that is on the Phenom 100: Silverboot Guide

I only use the ICEX ii and it gives a decent shine for a month or two in addition to the functional benefit of ice adhesion inhibitor. In the download above, refer to page 32 of the PDF (Page 22 of the document) Section F.
  9. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 42 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    We cycle the boots every taxi to the runway and get the Wingstab Fail error. We just ignore it like the Brake Fail message we get on engine start with BCU-8. I worry we are going to start ignoring all yellow CAS messages.....

(Username Protected)-
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 23 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    We cycle the boots every taxi to the runway and get the Wingstab Fail error. We just ignore it like the Brake Fail message we get on engine start with BCU-8. I worry we are going to start ignoring all yellow CAS messages.....

(Username Protected)-
    (Username Protected),
    Are you completing the full before takeoff check for flight into icing conditions to check the boots? If not, then I’m not sure only cycling the boots at low power is really verifying their full function. FYI, it is possible to get a Duct 1/2 Overtemp CAS if the boots run more than one cycle on the ground with N2 high enough to cycle them properly.
    Name:  IMG_1797.jpeg
Views: 962
Size:  403.0 KB
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 15 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I'll second (Username Protected)'s post. We have had in-flight D-I WINGSTAB FAIL messages in-flight at altitude previously, and after various troubleshooting and consultation with maintenance and Embraer personnel, we've determined that it is best to run D-I WINGSTAB on the ground before departure (even at idle) to clear out any potential moisture in the system. Since we've been doing this procedure, we have not had any deicer issues in-flight.