1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

GEN 1 OFF BUS on start

Posting my first AOG journey in my Phenom history (6 years).

Came to the aircraft after a ten day sit in S Florida, with everything appearing normal. Start Eng 2 as normal and no issues. Start Eng 1 normal as well until the Gen 1 off bus message came on. Going to the QRH and everyone probably remembers to cycle the switch, no change. Decided to shut the engine down and do a restart without change. Complete shutdown and still the indication comes on. One key thing here is that the starter function clearly works as I can start the engine, it just never switches to generator mode.

A quick call to Marcus, who was really kind with trying to help through the issue. Both thought it was some sort of sensor that wasn’t identifying that the engine was providing power to make the switch to generator. He gave me Chris Grinnell number who answered immediately. Chris was also very kind with his time and indicated that similar conclusion I had and said to try to get that engine up to around 80% n2 to see if it would get the system to see that it needs to get the gen running. No go there either.

Got Naples Jet Center helping now, wife and kids on a flight home. Me on a flight to my next place for this week.

Contact Center was very quick to respond however indicated the starter/gen is on back order. I’ll keep updating this thread as I go.

They indicated the likely culprits were:
    Starter/GEN
    GCU
    GLC

And offered the following:

In order to help you with the troubleshooting, we would suggest you do the swapping of starter generators and check if the issue migrates to the opposite side.

You may also want to do the swapping of GLCs and GCUs to check if the issue migrates with the faulty unit.
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Forgot to update. The Generatoe shipped Monday and was there Tuesday. A swap of the units and the ops check was good.

Back in service
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    And one more update.

When I got to the plane everything seemed normal until battery start and the GEN 1 OFF Bus was back.

I did notice volts was good for start but low for my batteries at 24.2. Engine also seemed to have a slightly warmer start.

I decided to connect to a GPU and started via that assist and then switched off GPU and the generator came online. When I asked maintenance for a summary of their work they stated they tested the engine 4 times all battery start.

I just got back to aircraft after flying home and I was successful on 3 starts without an issue. So I just chalk it up to the successive battery starts depleting the batteries?