1. Username Protected

Thanked 13 times
    Researching Phenom 300

Post Icing in Texas? Negative temps in Montana?

Hey All!

I hope all is well with your flying adventures! The last few weeks in Montana have been very cold! Mostly in the negative temps which is fairly normal for Montana. Usually the last couple weeks of January and first couple weeks of February are always touching the negatives! Where I grew up, around this time it is always, without fail -40 degrees for a whole week, and we would still go to school and still go outside and play (I jokingly say I was raised in a snow cave).

What doesn't seem normal is all the freezing temperatures in Texas right now! First off I hope that any Texas based pilots on here are doing ok in the cold temperatures, and I wanted to hear from everyone how they are navigating these cold weather patterns while flying!
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 26 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected) - thanks for your concern. You might be hearing doom and gloom from the news organizations - but in reality the temperatures in Texas for the last few days are very close to our average temperatures for this time of year. Related to flying - we have had some significant freezing rain and sleet which has adversely affected the commercial airlines (primarily DFW area and Austin) - as they do not have enough ground de-ice equipment to de-ice their full flight schedule. Therefore when these heavy ice events occur the commercial airlines have to cancel flights. Others - part 91s like me just choose to postpone.