1. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Researching Phenom 300

N555NR PH300 Accident KPVU

Unfortunately the pilot did not survive :(

https://kutv.com/news/local/plane-crashes-provo-airport-allegiant-flight-delayed-dead-injured-information

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...900Z/KPVU/KCNO
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    This is awful. I just landed in KSLC two hours ago, MVFR. Pictures show a severe crash, I can't wrap my head around that level of destruction on takeoff unless they got airborne.

Name:  08600241-57D4-45E7-A99E-E7BE00E1E984.jpeg
Views: 3242
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  1a2690cff95449c014a19675111e91f741ca9f99.jpeg
Views: 3240
Size:  71.0 KB

https://www.facebook.com/fox13newsut...55460642882064

Summary of the airport's director interview:

- 11:35 local accident
    - Provo based/hangared aircraft
    - Crashed immediately after take-off (it sounds like they got airborne), 1500 ft down the runway about 10 ft off the ground.
    - 4 souls on board
    - 1 fatal
    - 1 critical injuries
    - 2 with minor injuries
    - Airport closed
    - He was the first on scene
    - "Incredibly" that two people were able to walk away from crash
  3. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Name:  adsb track n55nr.jpeg
Views: 3154
Size:  317.3 KB

Provo is at 4,497 ft. If the 4,625 ft from the ADS-B Exchange is right that is ~128ft AGL.

Reminds me about this Challenger crash years ago. But this crew was based at Provo so they should be very familiar with winter ops.
    https://aviation-safety.net/database...?id=20041128-0

From Beechtalk: "Folks on the ground at the airport reported the aircraft rotated and one wing immediately dropped and impacted the ground. Wing separated quickly and fuse cartwheeled and rolled some distance. Local businessman. Owner flown. Provo based. Terrible weather. "
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Researching Phenom 300
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Provo is at 4,497 ft. If the 4,625 ft from the ADS-B Exchange is right that is ~128ft AGL.

From Beechtalk: "Folks on the ground at the airport reported the aircraft rotated and one wing immediately dropped and impacted the ground. Wing separated quickly and fuse cartwheeled and rolled some distance. Local businessman. Owner flown. Provo based. Terrible weather. "
    ADSBExchange now shows an updated maximum altitude of 4507 - if now correct they only made it 10 ft AGL which correlates to the observations.

As (Username Protected) mentioned, it sounds familiar to the Montrose crash of the Challenger 601. The visibility was 3 SM (not the 35 Meters in the SPECI) If not snow then perhaps disorientation after departure.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 20 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    I lost one of my very best friends today. Normally, I would have been in the right seat, as the Aircraft Manager/Chief Pilot N555NR, except for a family commitment yesterday. I will be meeting with the NTSB this morning. I will not be speculating on this Forum in respect to Nathan and his grieving Family. However, I am willing to discuss and listen to those who wish to reach out to me.

In deep sadness, (Username Protected), 801-243-8687
  6. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected) - my condolences for your loss. I have lost a few acquaintances over the years to accidents but never a close friend. I fully concur with your decision not to speculate due to your proximity to the parties.

Whether this accident turns out to be icing related or not, a reminder to all crew members that NASA has an excellent Ground Icing course.

https://aircrafticing.grc.nasa.gov/2_1_0_0.html
  7. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 42 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I think based on the photos I've seen of the accident, the 35M(eter) visibility might be a typo, it looks like visibility was much better than that and I don't think I've ever seen visibility measured that low, or in metric for that matter. I'm guessing, but it would seem more likely it was supposed to be the standard 3SM that ATIS usually puts out (RVR, 3SM, 6SM, >10SM...etc).

In any case, this one is just awful all around, condolences to all those directly affected.

(Username Protected)-
  8. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Corrected METAR

KPVU 022000Z VRB06KT 3SM -SN BR OVC010 M01/M02 A2978 RMK AO2 P0000 $
  9. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Prayers for all involved - terrible to hear about this.
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 19 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    So sorry for your loss, (Username Protected).
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Embraer Employee
    I am deeply saddened by this occurrence. My condolences to family and friends.
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 25 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    (Username Protected) did put out the METAR above, but I'm including the two proximal observations, bracketing the time. Yes, depending on the type font your reading, the 'S' can be read as a '5' but the visibility was reported 3SM (3 statute miles).

KPVU 021844Z VRB06KT 3SM -SN BR OVC008 M01/M01 A2979 RMK AO2 UPB03E11SNE03B11 CIG 007V012 P0000 $
    KPVU 021817Z VRB06KT 3SM -SN BR OVC008 M01/M01 A2979 RMK AO2 UPB03E11SNE03B11 CIG 006V011 P0000 $

Heartbreaking for all of us.

(Username Protected)
    https://www.(Username Protected)aviation.com
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Researching Phenom 300
    It is very sad to see another landing/takeoff accident in turbine aircraft, especially when people are injured or killed. We have had three in the last two week in the West alone, thankfully the other two had no injuries.

I've lost friends in aircraft accidents, and investigated a few, and I can remember too many of them. I witnessed a fatal accident in November involving an SR20 and rushed to the pilot to give him aid, who passed away an hour afterwards, most likely the result of a pitch trim issue. The plane hit hard, then slid 200 feet in pieces. That one brought back memories from a previous career as a Police Officer and Detective.

My condolences to (Username Protected) and the friends and family of the pilot. Recent new reports have identified him as Nathan Ricks and accompanied by his wife and two friends.

We all make mistakes, including myself, and fly complex machines that can also fail. After 13K hours, I try to assess the risk of each new flight and not become complacent - which is easy to do.

I hope the survivors fully recover quickly, and we learn from the investigation how to avoid another accident such as this one, where pilot or aircraft induced. This winter is shaping up to be more challenging this year, at least in the West. Be careful out there!
  14. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    These tragedies are felt by the whole flying community. My thoughts are with the families and everyone they touched.
  15. Username Protected

Thanked 20 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor

Thank You All

Gentleman, a Sincere thanks for your professional and respectful comments. Other aviation websites, not so. I met twice with the NTSB today. They, too, were very professional and respectful Myself, a graduate of the USAF Aircraft Accident Investigation and Safety School (1977) and later in Safety with the Airline Pilots Association (ALPA), 1979-2004, and Safety Co Chairman of my airline's Pacific Operations, I have been asking myself many questions. Did I fail something as a Mentor, Instructor, and Friend? Hopefully, none of you will experience my current journey. As it has been said...But for the Grace of God go I. Please continue to only speculate among yourselves, not on this Forum. Let the NTSB determine the Probable Cause.

Thank You All Again, (Username Protected)
  16. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 56 times
    Aircraft Broker
    (Username Protected),
    I appreciate your position & respect the way this forum has reserved judgment. I lost a mentee when I was 21. I also graduated from USAF Safety School but in 2000. I feel for you and everyone involved. Tragic.
  17. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    NTSB Preliminary is out.

On January 2, 2023, about 1135 mountain standard time, an Embraer EMB-505, N555NR, was substantially damaged when it was involved in an accident at the Provo Municipal Airport, Provo, Utah. The pilot sustained fatal injuries, two passengers sustained serious injuries, and one passenger sustained minor injuries. The airplane was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight.

A witness who was removing snow from the ramp area reported that the accident airplane was hangered near his location, and that the airplane remained hangered until 1055, and that a fuel truck had been waiting. The witness stated that he watched the airplane be refueled and estimated that the pilot started the engines around 1110 or 1115, around the same time light snow began to fall.

The fueler stated the accident airplane was parked in the hanger when he arrived to fuel the aircraft. About 5 minutes later, the pilot pulled the accident airplane out onto the ramp and the fueler repositioned his truck to refuel the airplane with 350 gallons of Jet-A. The fueler stated while he was refueling the airplane, the pilot mentioned that they were trying to get out before the weather. The fueler added that while he refueled the airplane, he did a “once over” and remembered observing unfrozen water droplets on the wings.

After refueling the accident airplane, the fueler returned to the FBO. Upon exiting the fuel truck, he observed the accident airplane taxi past his location. As he walked toward the FBO, he heard the airplane, and turned around to watch it. The fueler stated that the airplane was starting its takeoff roll on runway 13, and appeared to “pull up steep,” roll to the left, and the left wing impacted the ground. The refueler stated that at the time of the accident, the precipitation was snow and a misty rain, “between” light and medium intensity, along with a light breeze out of the north.

Additional witnesses located at the airport observed the accident airplane takeoff, ascend to about 20 to 30 ft above ground level, and then both wings wobbled “back and forth.” The airplane banked right, and then “hard left” as the left wing struck the ground.

Name:  photo.jpeg
Views: 1565
Size:  450.7 KB

Investigators arrived onsite about 23 hours after the accident, and about 4 to 6 inches of fresh snow had fallen, masking impact marks, ground scars, and debris. Examination of the accident site revealed that the airplane impacted the runway surface about 2,626 ft from the approach end of runway 13 and about 20 ft left of the runway centerline. The scrape mark extended about 91 ft and was parallel to the runway centerline.

A second scrape mark was observed about 2,903 ft from the approach end of runway 13, and arced left to the left edge of the runway surface about 3,126 ft from the approach end of the runway. A swath of displaced snow and dirt extended from the runway’s left edge about 100 ft to a large impact crater. The crater contained portions of airframe debris and various airframe components. Wreckage debris extended from the crater about 597 ft to the fuselage. The wings were separated from the airframe and were located about 106 ft beyond the fuselage. Both engines were separated and located adjacent to the fuselage.

The wreckage was recovered to a secure location for further examination.
    Attachments Attachments
  18. Username Protected

Thanked 25 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    ..interesting comparison of calculated takeoff performance vs. first impact of 2,626' from the end of the runway. Of course I don't know luggage, fuel, or people weights, or how much runway "was behind them" when they added T/O power. (I intentionally am not typing what I see as the T/O runway distance required -- to 35', mind you -- because I don't want to read too much into it, but thought I'd share my observation.) Also don't know the position of the icing switches, but the additive is only about 100' at most...

Still sucks to lose friends and fellow aviators.
  19. Username Protected

Thanked 20 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Thanks for posting (Username Protected). And, (Username Protected), Nathan texted me his W & B (myPhenom), the night before and all CGs were down the middle. NTSB has it. TO Weight, if I recall was approximately 16,400# and VSpeeds were 100/102/113/130. I may be off by a knot, but that is pretty close. I deleted his text recently as I just needed not to be reminded each time I looked at my messages.

Gentleman, Thanks for all the support, (Username Protected)
  20. Username Protected

Thanked 25 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Thank you (Username Protected); this is heartbreaking for you I'm sure. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.