1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Phenom 300 G1000 NXI NavData Subscriptions

I was going to post this in the Phenom 100 NavData and MX Subscriptions thread but decided to start a new one for the P300.

My Jeppesen NXI subscription is due in December so I started looking at the cost of Jeppesen vs. Garmin; very confusing for sure. The 1st thing to note is the Phenom 100 is considered a "TIER 1" aircraft and the Phenom 300 a "TIER 2" aircraft. The difference, only MONEY!. The Jeppesen NXI Americas bundle is ~$2100 for the P100 and ~$6800 for the P300. The Garmin Bundle is ~$5400 and the OnePak is ~$4600 for the P300 (not sure what the difference is between the Bundle and OnePak either). There are way too many options to list for the P100.

For those of you who understand this complicated mess, I have a couple questions:
    What is the difference between the Jeppesen bundle and the Garmin bundle? Why would I pay an extra $1400 for Jeppesen? I next to never use FliteCharts/ChartView on the NXI so that isn’t a consideration. I only use the US IFR chart overlay with Foreflight. As for approach plates, I really don’t have a preference (should I?). From what little I’ve been able to gather the Jeppesen data includes small private airports whereas Garmin uses government data that excludes small private airports that do not have instrument approaches; I’m flying a jet so who cares.

What provider do you all use?
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    You can go into your Jeppesen account and modify the tail number to identify as Phenom 100. Unlike on Garmin.com there is no validation process as far as I am aware... (I know some operators that do this).

I do have my plane listed as a P300 BUT found the following pricing glitch.

As you noted, G1000 NXi PilotPak - Four Installs Americas-IFR costs $6,770.00 (everything including terminal charts)

However:

G1000 NXi PilotPak without charts Worldwide-w/o Charts $1,359.00 -or-
    G1000 NXi PilotPak without charts Americas-w/o Charts $968.00

Includes everything except Terminal Charts charts and Sectional charts (nice but not required on NXi).

So I bought the Worldwide Pilot Pack ($1359) which includes all Nav Data worldwide (great for my Euro trip), then added IFR/VFR Sectional Charts ($558.48) and Full USA Jepp plates ($1,572.48) as Individual selections.

Total cost $3489.96 for Worldwide navdata and US terminal charts (which also works in ForeFlight).
  3. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    What is the difference between the Jeppesen bundle and the Garmin bundle? Why would I pay an extra $1400 for Jeppesen? I next to never use FliteCharts/ChartView on the NXI so that isn’t a consideration. I only use the US IFR chart overlay with Foreflight.
    If you don't care about approach plates on the MFD, the cheapest possible package is:

You can then use the government plates at no additional cost within ForeFlight, or buy Jeppesen plates directly from ForeFlight for $199 yr (vs $1572 if you want them both on MFD and ForeFlight). You also already have the sectional VFR/IFR charts in ForeFlight (the MAP page on the MFD is fully functional regardless).

The equivalent bundle from Garmin is
    Americas Standard + FliteCharts OnePak at $4595, which is not cost-effective compared to my customized bundle outlined in the previous post.
  4. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    If you don't care about approach plates on the MFD, the cheapest possible package is:

You can then use the government plates at no additional cost within ForeFlight, or buy Jeppesen plates directly from ForeFlight for $199 yr (vs $1572 if you want them both on MFD and ForeFlight). You also already have the sectional VFR/IFR charts in ForeFlight (the MAP page on the MFD is fully functional regardless).

The equivalent bundle from Garmin is
    Americas Standard + FliteCharts OnePak at $4595, which is not cost-effective compared to my customized bundle outlined in the previous post.
    I can't seem to see this as an option. Garmin only showing me the paks that are $3k+

Seems as if I go to Jepp's website I can find the bundles you mentioned where Garmin is not offering me that option.
  5. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Correct the "G1000 NXi PilotPak without charts Americas-w/o Charts" is available from Jeppesen only. No issues with moving to Jeppesen, other than that you have to use JDM to download the data (I think it can sync with Garmin Pilot for Database Concierge but have not tried that).
  6. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    You all may have noticed that Jeppesen has an issue and the Jeppesen database update application (JDM) is temporarily down and Garmin Pilot is unable to process the Jeppesen data. According to Garmin support, the Jeppesen issue started about 9 days ago.

I asked the Garmin tech rep what he sees as the primary differences between the Garmin and Jepp packages. He stated for the Americas it is basically FliteChart vs ChartView (in other words nothing). However, if you require worldwide coverage the Garmin package adds the Jeppesen data for all regions outside of the Americas coverage.

I think I'll switch over to the Garmin package when my Jepp subscription expires in December.
  7. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Correct the "G1000 NXi PilotPak without charts Americas-w/o Charts" is available from Jeppesen only. No issues with moving to Jeppesen, other than that you have to use JDM to download the data (I think it can sync with Garmin Pilot for Database Concierge but have not tried that).
    It can. So long as everything is setup correctly between the two. I had a few issues with that and had to get on the phone with both parties. I seem to recall it had more to do with me trying to switch to NXi databases mid subscription.

My packages expire December 1 and I may just go the basic package. I use foreflight for charts and almost all the other pilots that sometimes fly with me they also have access on FF. I have never used the VFR/IFR charts on NXi so not sure why I am spending all of that money for it.
  8. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I think I'll switch over to the Garmin package when my Jepp subscription expires in December.
    Garmin's package is great but at $4595 it is almost $1500 more than the bundle from Jepp I outlined above. Or $3600 more if you go plate less on the MFD.
  9. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    FWIW, I'm doing a variant on (Username Protected)'s strategy...
    I'm buying:
    • Jepp - PilotPak Americas w/o charts ($968)
    • Foreflight - Jepp charts on ForeFlight ($389) [only because I prefer the Jepp plates to FAA]
    • Garmin - FlightCharts North America ($700) [gives you FAA/Nav Canada charts on the NXI -- this is really just a backup for me in case my iPad dies... for the price I should probably just buy a second iPad, but it feels good to have a completely different system]

This gives me essentially the complete package that Garmin charges $5300 for, plus Jepp charts on the iPad.
    The only downside is that you need to use two DB apps to load the update SD card (Jepp + Garmin), but when Flightstream DB Concierge feels like working it will load from both subscriptions with one go.
  10. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    You guys rock! Now if Jepp can just get out of ransomware hock!
  11. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    If you carry an iPhone, why not consider that your backup instead of the additional subscription or the concept of another iPad?
  12. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    If you carry an iPhone, why not consider that your backup instead of the additional subscription or the concept of another iPad?
    Android guy here
  13. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks again (Username Protected). I went with the WW w/o Charts as well. During my flight home yesterday, I played around with the NXI charts and reinforced my previous position that I don't need them. (PS. Denver to Charleston in 2:45 minutes!)

Curious why you purchase the Jepp Plates. I haven't found a significant advantage/improvement between the government plates and the Jepp plates. Am I missing something?
  14. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks again (Username Protected). I went with the WW w/o Charts as well. During my flight home yesterday, I played around with the NXI charts and reinforced my previous position that I don't need them. (PS. Denver to Charleston in 2:45 minutes!)

Curious why you purchase the Jepp Plates. I haven't found a significant advantage/improvement between the government plates and the Jepp plates. Am I missing something?
    Personal preference, but I find the Jepp plates far easier to read, with more information, and far better laid out than the FAA plates - especially on arrivals and departures.
    For example, compare the plates for the DUNN5 arrival I flew last night - the Jepp plate is 1 page, is nicely color coded, and has everything laid out in a logical fashion. The FAA plate is split over 3 pages (I combined to 1 image) with information spread out everywhere.
    The Jepp plates also include what I call "bonus" information, like color coded terrain, airport elevations, other area airports (not on the arrival),

Name:  d5jepp.png
Views: 1690
Size:  496.7 KB

Name:  d5faa.png
Views: 1692
Size:  529.5 KB
  15. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    To add to what (Username Protected) said, I also like that the domestic and international plates are in the same format with Jepp. For international I buy the Jepp plates through ForeFlight (iPad only).
  16. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks for showing that example. It reminded me why I want to return to Jepp plates.
  17. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    On a related note, I submitted a feature request to ForeFlight for downloading Jepp databases like Garmin Pilot. The reply was 'not going to happen'.

Speaking of Garmin Pilot, I have been unable to get Garmin Pilot to recognize my new Jepp subscription; frustrating.
  18. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    On a related note, I submitted a feature request to ForeFlight for downloading Jepp databases like Garmin Pilot. The reply was 'not going to happen'.

Speaking of Garmin Pilot, I have been unable to get Garmin Pilot to recognize my new Jepp subscription; frustrating.
    It will be a round and round with both parties. I had that issue years back and I probably talked to both parties 3 or 4 times and both blamed each other. I don't recall who actually fixed the issue.
  19. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    It will be a round and round with both parties. I had that issue years back and I probably talked to both parties 3 or 4 times and both blamed each other. I don't recall who actually fixed the issue.
    Pretty sure that Garmin ultimately fixed mine... didn't seem like the first time they had heard of the problem either. Enjoy the long hold times.