1. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Researching Phenom 100

Beech Duke to 100

Folks

I'm on my second Duke with about 800 hours on type. I have previously owned two Ba(Username Protected)s with about 800 hours. I'm about 2,000 hours total time with an ATP but I just fly for fun not a professional pilot

Started a new business a couple years ago and need to fly faster and a little longer. Mainly just my wife and kids... Usually three sometimes five.

I don't really have to be sold on a 100 I looked at them extensively when I was thinking about creating air taxi company some years ago I'm just wondering how difficult the transition would be.... I realize I would need CAE initial training and I've read a lot of the threads

Just looking for opinions on the difficulty from transitioning to a from a pressurized piston twin to a jet

It feels like a big step but I've seen a couple guys going from a Cirrus to a jet so flying a Duke is like hand-to-hand combat in comparison lol

Thoughts?
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Several of us here have transitioned from an SR22. It honestly is easier to fly than the Cirrus.. If you are in a Duke your workload will go down considerably as I believe the systems are much easier to manage.

I do think the Duke is one of the prettiest planes. The lines are incredible. Saw this Turbine Duke at our home field a few months ago.

Name:  89965878-2FFB-4289-B82D-76148C1928FB.jpeg
Views: 1434
Size:  693.7 KB
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 51 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Several owner-pilots I've met had similar aviation experience to you when transitioning, if not less. I had less total time but some PC12 time (and one right seat flight in a BE60!). I thought CAE was very useful, but it was also necessary to fly with mentor pilots. I felt comfortable after about 60 hours, which took about 4 months. As (Username Protected) said, the systems integration lowers the workload significantly relative to those other planes, and there are lot of features to maximize your situational awareness once you get familiar with they systems. I feel safer in a Phenom 100 solo than either a Pilatus or Duke. The Phenom was also my Garmin transition. I rented a G1000 DA42 for a few hours, and should have spent more time with a G1000 simulator to get used to the system. It was the crux of the transition for to me, needing to be very proficient in avionics and au(Username Protected)ation management, particularly around the end of an arrival or beginning of an approach where ATC might reroute you (including shortcuts) with little notice while asking you to maintain speeds 230-270kts in busy airspace, but that's easy once you really know your FMS and autopilot. You also have to think about weight and range limitations, but that's manageable and less of an issue if you avoid hot, high, or full range/seats flights.

Getting used interacting with Embraer takes some time too - learning how to manage any engine or airframe programs if you're on them and pay invoices, understanding the inspection requirements, how to consume updated Service Bulletins, Flight Operations Letters, etc. Lots of clunky SAP, Salesforce, etc implementations can occasionally aggravate the process, but it's manageable or can be delegated to professional managers.
  4. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I transitioned from a Piper Meridian with only minimum MEL time (I got my MEL two weeks before initial in the 100). At that time I had around 850 hours TT. What helped immensely is that I had a lot of G1000 time (probably started flying it around 100 hours TT). The transition was easy and as mentioned the workload went down due to the integrated systems and mostly FADEC!

Fast forward to today and I fly a 300 about 70% single pilot ops for my business and personal usage. I just passed 1000 hours TT in Phenoms all together.
  5. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Started a new business a couple years ago and need to fly faster and a little longer.
    You sound like the kind of person who kicks ass at anything you do. You'll be fine. Get the jet.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    You sound like the kind of person who kicks ass at anything you do. You'll be fine. Get the jet.
    '

HAHAHAHA... thanks to all for the input... I was sure it would be fine but jsut watned to get the opinion of "guys who do"... always valuable
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    You don't need CAE training. As a matter of fact, CAE for your first initial jet type rating is not the way to go. There are several insurance companies that allow in aircraft training and I would encourage you to go that route. Norton Aviation can help you with this.
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 20 times
    Insurance Provider
    Even if he wanted to do CAE initial - good luck getting scheduled for about 4-5 months out. The capacity at CAE has actually forced some underwriting carriers to accept in-aircraft training whom otherwise required simulator training with no exceptions. But as noted - yes you can do in-aircraft type rating and Norton or Shepherd Aero (Travis Holland) are the two biggest in that initial/recurrent training space for the P100.