Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Starlink Aviation announced

Starlink just announced their aviation offering. "Aviation Money" and pretty large antenna. Let's see if they can shrink this to Phenom size and cut the monthly service by 10x for us lowly light jet guys... Mostly larger cabin aircraft for now.

$12,500/mo-$25,000/mo, hardware $150k, installation??

From the FAQ:

Starlink can deliver up to 350 Mbps to each plane, enabling all passengers to access streaming-capable internet at the same time. With latency as low as 20 ms, passengers can engage in activities previously not functional in flight, including video calls, online gaming, virtual private networks and other high data rate activities.

Reservations require an initial $5,000 credit card payment. In the coming months, the Starlink team (Username Protected) reach out to you to discuss next steps and service options prior to finalizing your hardware order. Deliveries start in mid-2023.

No long-term contracts and all plans include unlimited data. Your hardware is under warranty for as long as you subscribe to the service.

Supplemental type certificate (STCs) are in development for the following aircraft: ERJ-135, ERJ-145, G650, G550, Falcon 2000, G450, Challenger 300, Challenger 350, Global Express, Global 5000, Global 6000, and Global 7500. The Starlink engineering team (Username Protected) update this list as development begins on additional aircraft.

Starlink Aviation (Username Protected) have global coverage. Since the satellites are moving in low-earth orbit, there are always satellites overhead or nearby to provide a strong signal at high latitudes and in polar regions - unlike with geo-stationary satellites.

Service (Username Protected) be available in-flight over land and water and on the ground during taxi, takeoff, and landing. As long as the equipment is powered on and the Starlink has an unobstructed view of the sky, connection is possible.

https://www.starlink.com/aviation

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 22.02.00.png
Views: 2735
Size:  274.1 KB

Name:  Module5_Aviation_Desktop.jpg
Views: 2792
Size:  332.9 KB
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Booo - I really wanted this to make in-roads right away for us. I still cannot commit to any data package due to cost and my use.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 40 times
    Praetor/Legacy Owner & Pilot
    Agree with (Username Protected). I was very disappointed when I saw the monthly price. You just can't justify this amount for owner/pilot use.

Interesting that they are quoting worldwide coverage. Ground coverage is not global. It seems like each government is setting the rules separately for ground coverage because those governments own the frequency spectrum in their country.

For example, in Indonesia they are not allowing end users to purchase terminals. Starlink is only authorized for backhaul use by phone/internet carriers. It never amazes me how governments consistently sabotage their own growth. Interestingly, the starlink coverage map says, "coming in 2023" for Indonesia.

Does anyone know what the frequency rules are for aviation? It seems there is no altitude limit on a country's airspace. But, then, how does Starlink claim global coverage for aviation?
  4. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    The Phenom 300 was just added to the STC development list!

https://support.starlink.com/topic?c...26&category=57

Name:  starlink.png
Views: 2593
Size:  147.7 KB
  5. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    FlexJet announced today that they are installing Starlink ac(Username Protected) their fleet, including on the Phenom 300.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...ml?f=22&fvtc=7

The Federal Aviation Administration has certified Starlink’s technology for use in Flexjet’s Gulfstream G650s. Once work to install the antennas on the Gulfstream fleet is completed, work would begin to certify and install the technology Flexjet’s super-mid (Praetor 600 and Challenger 350/3500), mid (Embraer Praetor 500) and light jet (Phenom 300) fleets.
    Hopefully Nextant (Username Protected) sell the STC, just like they do for the L5 Avance.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 40 times
    EDIT - the following information is now old. See post below for an update.

A bit of background on this. Apparently Starlink is not working with the aircraft vendors to get STCs in place. Apparently Gulfstream released a letter stating that the starlink modification would void the warranty of certain parts of the aircraft in response to this press release you just posted.

Also, Starlink is not engaging with or talking to aircraft manufacturers at this point in time about any STCs. Embraer is super frustrated about this.

At the same time you see Starlink announcing aircraft that they are offering support for. Indeed Gulfstream, Challenger, and even King Air was on that list. (No Embraer products). Is Starlink going rogue and trying to do the STCs themselves?

Also, also, have you seen the size of the starlink mobile antenna? It is MASSIVE. I'm not sure how that goes on the top of a Phenom 300 without adding a lot of weight (structural reinforcement for the hole) and drag.

Perhaps GoGo inflight and Oneweb (Username Protected) have a Phenom 300 / Praetor LEO solution before Starlink is available in the Phenom. Apparently that would require a very limited change to the current GoGo solution. But, it's not a developed product yet.

I am supposed to get a Praetor in March with Viasat installed. Except, oops, I'm not going to have coverage because their global converate plans hit a brick wall when Viasat 3 Americas launched but failed to deploy. Starlink is non responsive and the only sure but for global coverage is swift Broadband which is so slow it's useless.

IMHO, Starlink is not going to be available on Phenom or Praetor for at least 2 more years.

Anyone have a contact at Starlink?

First world problems.
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 40 times
    Interesting timing on all this just saw a post from PorStar Aviation where I get my annual done.

https://www.prostaraviation.com/the-...link-aviation/
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Other Services Provider
    Hey (Username Protected) - Starlink is working directly with the OEMs. I can put you directly in touch with their team. I'll DM you offline. Other interested parties please message me directly with your email address and I (Username Protected) have the team reach out.
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 40 times
    All -

Fantastic news. Starlink is now very (Username Protected)ing to work with Embraer to get an STC for Starlink in Embraer products. This is a complete 180 degree change.

Also, Starlink is going to offer pricing plans that would be more appropriate for owner/pilots.

Please reach out to (Username Protected) (previous post) if you are interested!

-(Username Protected)
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 19 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Tell us more (Username Protected)!
  11. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 42 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    That would be fantastic. My ground mount creates a ton of drag on top of the 100 - would be great to have something more integrated.

(Username Protected)-
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    I've been using starlink over my glare shield, on a Phenom 100 and it worked very well, even with a 2nd gen antenna, until mr Musk set a 100mph moving speed limit.

So the hardware is not a problem at all, but the 25k/month is ...
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 40 times
    (Username Protected) - you need to tell us more about this. Any pictures of it on the glare shield? What dish did you use? Can you elaborate more on "worked very well"?

I asked my StarLink contact about this and he was a bit surprised it worked. So, more information would be great and we may be able to get the 100 mph speed limit removed.

-(Username Protected)

Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    I've been using starlink over my glare shield, on a Phenom 100 and it worked very well, even with a 2nd gen antenna, until mr Musk set a 100mph moving speed limit.

So the hardware is not a problem at all, but the 25k/month is ...
  14. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    AIN today reported the Pro Star Aviation, the Embraer Service Center at KMHT is now an Starlink-authorized dealer. They also claim that the Phenom 300 STC should be done by the 4th quarter.

Pro Star Aviation inked an agreement with SpaceX to become a Starlink-authorized dealer for business aviation and (Username Protected) offer these satcom installations at its Manchester-Boston Regional Airport (KMHT) MRO facility ... Engineering work for the STCs was done by Nextant Aerospace, which is developing approvals for more business jet models, including the Embraer Phenom 300 (fourth quarter).
    https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...install-center
  15. Username Protected

Thanked 40 times
    Another update - Starlink has updated pricing.

Business 20GB is $2,000 per month. $100 per additional GB.
    Business unlimited is $10,000 per month.
  16. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 42 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Well, at least it's trending in Starlink's typical pricing direction. It's also still listed only under their business offerings, so I'm hoping that we see something on the Personal side that's more like $10/GB (maritime is like $2/GB).
  17. Username Protected

Thanked 40 times
    I've been told that Starlink (Username Protected) keep pricing well below competitors. The $100 per GB for global data is less than half the competition.

I've also been told that the faster the receiver is moving the more resources need to be allocated - in an exponential fashion. This why the 100 mph limit on regular mobile dishes.
  18. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) (Username Protected) View Post
    (Username Protected) - you need to tell us more about this. Any pictures of it on the glare shield? What dish did you use? Can you elaborate more on "worked very well"?

I asked my StarLink contact about this and he was a bit surprised it worked. So, more information would be great and we may be able to get the 100 mph speed limit removed.

-(Username Protected)
    Hey (Username Protected) I’ve just removed the antenna backplate and motors, and then leave it on copilots panel. Worked very well around 80mbit/s flying in Brazil. We did 2 simultaneous facetime calls, whatsapp, emails etc and it worked.
    The starlink plan was the priority data because of the speed. It used to work during the climb. Stoped at cruise phase (telling me on the app thats mooving too fast), but the curious part is, if I change the flight level for example from 360 to 340 it works again for a few minutes and set the moving speed limit again
  19. Username Protected

Thanked 40 times
    Alright, everyone. More news.

(Username Protected) is signing up for the $2k per month aviation package. He is going to confirm if the "glareshield mode" works with the proper subscription and report back. My higher up contact at starlink says this should fix (Username Protected)s issues.

I don't have an aircraft until July but it appears you could now just order a standard dish (not standard actuated) put it on the glareshield, get an aviation plan, and you are good to go. No modifications to the dish needed. I have enquired as to where requests for an aviation plan should go since there isn't really anything on the website. I'll post when I hear back.

Also, I spoke more with ProStar. They are not developing any STCs. They are a Starlink distributor and are going to execute Nextant STCs that are being created by Nextant for FlexJet. Embraer is just starting work with Starlink and people outside of the company are guessing 2+ years and only for new aircraft. Embraer hasn't given me any dates. ProStar's opinion is that STCs for existing aircraft (Username Protected) likely not be from Embraer but 3rd party providers. For a Praetor they are guessing it (Username Protected) be $350K for an install. Unclear if the Phenom 300 (Username Protected) even have room for the big flat dish they are recommending.

Any rumors that an STC is coming shortly for the Phenom 300 is just that right now, a rumor. (Unless anyone confirms otherwise from Netant/FlexJet). Praetor STC I have heard is expected in June.

Starlink absolutely doesn't want to condone glareshield mode for safety reasons. (Username Protected) says the copilot can fly the plane with the antenna in place. I'm sure it's not recommended to crash land with it lose on the dash.

Here are some pictures (Username Protected) sent me of his modified standard actuated dish:

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2024-02-22 at 10.32.09 PM (1).jpeg
Views: 967
Size:  236.2 KB

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2024-02-22 at 10.35.40 PM.jpeg
Views: 959
Size:  125.2 KB

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2024-02-22 at 10.32.10 PM.jpeg
Views: 964
Size:  44.3 KB
  20. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    https://www.starlink.com/roam

Would the roam be the right model to order if you were looking for the glare shield + aviation subscription plan?

https://www.starlink.com/specifications?spec=4

dimensions: 43.4 x 298.6 x 120.4 mm (1.7 in x 11.76 in x 4.74 in)
  21. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Interestingly the mobile priority plan doesn't mention a speed restriction... wonder if that means that's the solution?

Name:  Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 9.54.54?AM.png
Views: 954
Size:  827.9 KB
  22. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Interestingly the mobile priority plan doesn't mention a speed restriction... wonder if that means that's the solution?

Name:  Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 9.54.54?AM.png
Views: 954
Size:  827.9 KB
    Used to work, but it is supposed to cap at 100mph, it lets you go a little faster than it, I was able to use during climb phase until FL200. Not anymore, maybe it was a lack of satellite numbers / positioning system.
  23. Username Protected

Thanked 40 times
    You don't want the actuated. That won't fit in the plane. You would just strip all the motors off of it like (Username Protected) did.

The flat high performance is close to the size of a boogie board, you won't get it in the cockpit.

So, I believe standard is the way to go. But, caveat emptor, you are going to be experimenting here.

For anyone wanting to get the aviation package - PM me. I have a contact at Starlink but I don't want to put their email address on the web.
  24. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Does the heated windshield interfere with the signal?
  25. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Does the heated windshield interfere with the signal?
    Nothing at all
  26. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Is the 100 and 300 windshield heat the same design or similar design?
  27. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Is the 100 and 300 windshield heat the same design or similar design?
    Same system. Should work on both
  28. Username Protected

Thanked 40 times
    Whomever does this test it would be interesting to measure signal strength on the ground outside vs on the ground ontop of the glareshield.

One other tidbit. The other reason starlink isn't promoting glareshield (aside from liability concerns) is that the experience won't be *perfect*. Meaning, you may get dropouts and slower data. E.g. if the plane goes into a 45 degree bank the glareshield antenna likely can't deal with that. I'm personally not concerned that my internet connection may drop out while practicing steep turns. There is also a concern that in oceanic areas where satellites are asleep in power saving mode you'll have dropouts.

-(Username Protected)
  29. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    Hey (Username Protected) - Starlink is working directly with the OEMs. I can put you directly in touch with their team. I'll DM you offline. Other interested parties please message me directly with your email address and I (Username Protected) have the team reach out.

Hey (Username Protected) thx for the posts here! I sent you a DM, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

(Username Protected)
  30. Username Protected

Thanked 40 times
    Initial feedback form (Username Protected) is that glareshield mode with an aviation account works!

However, issues with alignment. He is going to do another flight or so and update us.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast