1. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

2009 Phenom 100 In Flight Entertainment

Hi folks!

Hope everyone has been keeping well and flying safe! I had a quick question i wanted to ask about the Phenom 100 IFE.

The head unit provided in 2009 might be without bluetooth -

Can i swap this out for any double din automotive head unit? - Any issues with voltage, amount of power it consumes etc?

The speakers and sub(Username Protected)fer -

The speakers are relatively small and tinny. Once again, if i am able to find speakers of the same mounting but better in power and quality, am i able to swap these speakers? Using more powerful speakers on the same cables can potentially be a hazard when the wires heat up etc.

Would it be safe to do so?

Lastly there is also an amplifier. Am i able to replace this myself?

Long story short i wonder if its safe to upgrade the IFE systems just with a straight swap of the components.

Alto Aviation seems to offer a solution but ive heard its relatively weak and not worth the cost.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts on the matter. Happy to share to share the route i take (if any) and document the progress here too!

Much thanks!
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Following this...
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Anyone? Thanks
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 51 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Following as well. Ours has no speakers. Curious if it was an option to have none installed, or if a previous owner removed them (maybe I’ll take the time to review the logs…). Regardless, I’d be interested in new speakers.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Maintenance Provider
    Alto makes a great sound system for the Phenom. We have performed many installs and the customers seem happy. Yes they are expensive, but quality.

If you wanted to change out the head unit, you might be able to get away with a field approval with an alternate head unit.

I will look into it and will let everyone know, but if I was to ball park the head unit replacement cost. I would estimate 5k-7k per aircraft.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Hi (Username Protected),

Can i ask you a few questions regarding the Alto system and others.

1. What is the cost of the Alto System?
    2. How long does an install take assuming aircraft is equipped with IFE already. And if no IFE, how long?
    3. Does Alto keep ready stock for a quick order and deploy?

4. Is the wiring loom for the head unit similar to any automotive type? Hence if i were to swap it out myself one weekend, if i knew how to. Would it be advisable to do so?

5. Any other thoughts you can share will be most appreciated.

Thanks!
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 32 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Alto makes a great sound system for the Phenom. We have performed many installs and the customers seem happy. Yes they are expensive, but quality.
    The Sony head unit in my 2012 reverts back to stupid after a power loss. So when it fires back up, I have to switch the input back to XM, then scroll through to Tom Petty Radio, then go back through settings and adjust the EQ so it doesn't sound like the speaker is sitting in bowl of a stainless steel highway rest stop toilet. It's bad enough I have to go through all that before my pax show up, but I can't obviously handle any of that after engine start.

So, question about the upgrade unit: Can it pickup where it left off after a quick power loss? (Right after engine start for example)

The system Embraer put together is basically useless. Especially with ours not even having the VIP seat radio controller.
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Hi (Username Protected),

I think this whole "full reset after power loss" system occurs through the entire model range with Embraer sort of leaving it that way.

What i mean by that is -

I had a P100E SN357 with the 5th side seat. So my head unit was a Ken(Username Protected)d (i think) in the lavatory cabinet. This aircraft was 2014 and the headunit was pretty modern but once again, back to 0 in terms of settings and functions like a factory reset once the aircraft goes off.

I have now gotten a 2009 P100 with the Sony headunit, not unlike yours.

I think 2009 - 2014 Embraer didnt make any changes to this effect, with the headunit being able to store settings (or maintain power) such that the settings remain? I wonder if the EV's now have this sorted.

In any event, in my younger days, i used to swap out the head units in my car by myself. It was a pretty simple process and sometimes the wiring looms line up especially if you remain in the same brand.

My question is :-

If i was to do it by myself (or someone with abit of experience), pull out the head unit and put another one in. No change in wiring loom or nothing at all. Strict plug and play.

Is any approvals required? <-- for head unit

Now for speakers - I understand incorrectly sized/rated speakers relative to the cable thickness makes the cable warm/hot even and can be (Username Protected)gerous. Can we replace these speakers ourselves? Or have owners gone about doing so?

Same question applies to sub(Username Protected)fer behind VIP seat and the amplifier too.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts!

Thanks
  9. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Is any approvals required? <-- for head unit
    Since it is not user removable without any tools, I would say at least a 337 is required.
  10. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), I'd also be interested in learning about the Alto system install or some kind of 337-based replacement for the awful Sony system we have now.