1. Username Protected

Thanked 26 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Ramp Check

I was ramp checked today at Denver area airport KCFO by the DEA. I have been occasionally ramp checked by the FAA - but this was the first time in the USA that I have been ramp checked by another agency. It started off as a typical ramp check (show pilot license, ID, etc) but then the questions evolved into more of a drug check than a FAA credentials check. There was a phone call to the area leader of this “program” that tried to tell me that this was a normal process. Putting this out there so others will be aware that there may be some un-announced federal program aimed at private aircraft.

Or maybe instead I just look like a “drug runner”

If anyone else has experienced this I would be interested in knowing.
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom Pilot
    Just curious if they asked to go on board or look in baggage? I can see them asking for documents but I would have a huge issue with them entering anywhere without probable cause to do so...
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 104 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    You look pretty suspicious (Username Protected)!
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 26 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected):
    The questions from the two DEA agents quickly evolved from the typical FAA ramp check questions related to Pilot and Aircraft records and credentials. Questions like who owns this aircraft, what is your business here, where are you going, etc. When this line of questioning got going I asked if this was a FAA ramp check or a drug investigation which prompted a phone call to the "program" leader. This guy on the phone told me that there was some new special "program" that allowed all of this - to which I asked if it was a FAA ramp check or drug intervention program. After that, there was a discussion between the agents at my airplane and the person on the phone which ended the "ramp check". They never boarded my airplane, but it looked like it was headed that way until the phone call.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom Pilot
    Good call on questioning this, it seems a little strange…
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 29 times
    Other Services Provider
    So glad they didn't they didn't have the authority to start taking things a part and searching. What a mess that would be.
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

Jay

Always ask to see their FAA 110A badge. The government is supposed to be working for the people, not the other way around. The way new bureaucracies get out of control is when they are not challenged for legitimacy. It Sounds like they were trying to fake their way in as FAA and then switch to their real agenda. If the FAA is on a legitimate mission, they will be polite and to the point with their questions. The current administration in high office has zero respect for the law and the constitution and is creating all kinds of new bureaucratic nightmares for the people to deal with. Challenge them when it doesn’t look right. Call their boss, get follow up phone numbers. Call your attorney on the spot. Verify what kind of inspection it is and who authorized it.
  8. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I saw this report yesterday and thought it may have an impact on future ramp checks...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-hum...rder-officials
  9. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 123 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Reminder that FAR 61.3 (l) says:

Inspection of certificate. Each person who holds an airman certificate, temporary document in accordance with paragraph (a)(1)(v) or (vi) of this section, medical certificate, documents establishing alternative medical qualification under part 68 of this chapter, authorization, or license required by this part must present it and their photo identification as described in paragraph (a)(2) of this section for inspection upon a request from:
    (1) The Administrator;
    (2) An authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board;
    (3) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer; or
    (4) An authorized representative of the Transportation Security Administration.

I have heard (via aviation magazines) of pilots receiving FAA sanctions for refusing to show the documents to law enforcement.

Of course that's completely different from a full aircraft inspection, just wanted to remind everyone of the FAR as it's not always well-known.
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Researching Phenom 300
    My hanger mate flies a PA-46 and was also ramp checked at KCFO on the 28th by two DEA agents. His encounter was very similar. It started the same and then turned to appear more like a drug inspection. They asked where he was traveling to and he told them he was just filling the plane with fuel and going back to his hanger. They backed off when he stated he wasn't flying that day. When I told him about (Username Protected)' check he said he remembered seeing a Phenom take off while he was at the airport. It was probably the same two agents.
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Hi (Username Protected): Channeling your inner "Barry Seal" no doubt!

I had a very similar experience last year in Santa Fe (KSAF). I landed, taxied up to Santa Fe Jet Center and was approached by 4 men, 2 from the FAA and 2 from DEA. The described purpose was that they were doing some training for the 2 newer DEA guys as to how a ramp check works. Exchanged paper work and let them look through the aircraft. They couldn't have been nicer and were grateful that they could conduct some training on an actual aircraft.

Fly safe!
    (Username Protected)
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Maybe I'm just the skeptic and literally don't trust our gov't as far as I can throw them but I wouldn't allow any agency other than FAA to inspect my aircraft without cause, or for a border crossing. Either provide a warrant, a subpoena, or go away. Period.
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Yeah showing docs is one thing. Looking at aircraft is another, and I wouldn't tolerate it.
  14. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    I agree with (Username Protected) on this…best policy with any law enforcement officer is to cooperate and not give a hard time. When you push back, that’s when you can easily take a benign situation and turn it into a real bad one really quick. The FAR’s are quite clear. Same thing when they pull you over in your car. Just cooperate.