1. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Researching Phenom 300

Phenom 300 vs. CJ4

Hello - We are looking into a Phenom 300 vs. CJ4 of CJ3+. Any inputs or feedback from those who have experienced both planes would be very appreciated.
    1. Pilot training / slots availability
    2. reliability and maintainability
    3. Flying performance and ease of operations
    4. High frequency ops
    5. Cabin and avionics
    6. OEM support

Anything else you can add will be appreciated.
    (Username Protected)
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I extensively looked at both aircraft when looking to upgrade from a Phenom 100. I am 6'3 and my Dad is a little taller in his late 70s. The cabin was extremely important to me for his comfort in the back and there was no contest when it came to the Phenom oval cabin vs. the CJ series. The CJ series the seats can move into the aisle like the P300, however, by doing so no one will be able to walk down the center aisle. In the CJ where the seat is naturally I would have to tilt my head towards the center otherwise I was cramped. Front office - I just didn't like the yoke between my legs, other than that visibility was great in the CJ and comfort was fine in both.

The other main area I looked at was Collins vs. Garmin. I have been flying G1000 since 2003 so its a platform I know very well and don't have to think with. I played around a lot with Collins and can understand its logic and think its fine. Part of my ad(Username Protected)e to anyone would be what platform do you have knowledge of the most, I think that's an important item (if its a professional crew, then it probably doesn't matter).

Performance wise I think you'll find them somewhat similar overall, the CJ4 has a less efficient design and it burns a little more fuel, but nothing notable.

Knock on wood, I have not had to cancel any trips in my 6 years of Phenom ownership. I know initial training slots are very very hard to come by in the Phenom's. Recurrent is easier I believe. I think CJ series they have so many options that it isn't difficult. Almost all insurance carriers require sim initial training at this point. Sometimes they work out a deal to do initial in plane, but recurrent in sim shortly after. I don't have a ton of insight on the others.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 32 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    In a pure numbers game, the Phenom 300 definitely betters the CJ4, but small but noticeable margins. The CJ3, however, is left in the dust. It's a good little jet, but not if you need to haul a lot of people. You'll be battling CG, ZFW issues and planning for fuel stops where none of that would be a problem with the Phenom.

I'm regularly flying 8 full size guys around for events and golf trips and have plenty of performance. Never an issue.

Training slot wise, it's tough everywhere. I've heard new Phenom owners get some priority slots since Embraer manages the training at CAE, but your mileage may vary. Recurrent are generally easier to get, but I recommend scheduling those well in advance. At a certain point, insurance companies are going to have to break down and accept sims training from FSI or Loft (they told me they're interested in doing a Phenom sim).

The Phenom maintenance is extremely simple. 12 months or 800 hours. So top off your oil, watch your tire pressure/wear and keep an eye on your brake pins. You really don't have to do much at all between annuals. Gear is overhauled at 10yrs. Every 3rd year is a "bigger" annual.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Researching Phenom 300
    Thank you for your inputs gentlemen