1. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

European Trip 2022 (and AOG in Iceland)

Just returned from a month-(Username Protected) European trip with my P300. Mostly a non-event but two things share.

First - an overseas AOG experience:

My left starter generator was nearing 800 hours and I have it scheduled to be replaced later this month. In early July I asked if I could swap it before the European trip, but was told no parts in stock (several planes were ahead of me waiting on their S/G). Oh well I will risk it, what are the chances they are not engineered to last at least 1000 hr

We got to Iceland and spent three days vacationing before continuing to Sweden. Got the plane loaded, received oceanic clearance, right engine started. Left engine start - nothing. Hm. Maybe the GCU is acting up, power the plane down and unplug the batteries for a few minutes. Still nothing. Got a pretty good feeling the left SG is out.

Unloaded the plane and family into FBO and started making alternate travel plans, no chance this would be fixed overnight. Luckily good international connections out of Keflavik so we found a flight to Oslo (close enough for our final destination) for the next day. Hotel booked. Wife relative happy that we have a plan.

Name:  IMG_5958.jpeg
Views: 1442
Size:  2.67 MB

Downloaded the CMC data (didn't show anything) and Contact Center quickly responded with some pilot troubleshooting. Power the aircraft up in Electric Emergency Mode, then wait until systems are available and push out Emer button, then try to start - no success. They reached out to Atlas Service Center out of Germany and about an hour later they had confirmed a tech could be on-site the following day for troubleshooting.

I am only on EEC Standard, so as a new customer of Atlas they asked me to pre-pay the troubleshooting invoice (flat rate €4800 including travel etc). The tech was on-site the next day and confirmed the brushes "are completely done".

Name:  20220720_190155_resized.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  641.2 KB

The tech then left to work on another plane in Italy. SJK Parts were able to source a S/G in France and two days later in arrived Reykjavik. Much faster than I expected due to shortages. Because Iceland is outside of the EU trading zone I had to pay almost €5000 in import duties (based on the full value of the SG, even though EEC covers) but that is what it is. Glad I didn't need to import a new engine!

Another €4800 for a mechanic to come back and swap generators, and a few days later I flew back to Iceland to pickup the plane so we could continue our planned trips. So in summary pricey but Embraer and their partners got me back in the air relativity quickly considering the location.

2) CPDLC is awesome.

My G1000 NXi plane has the European ATN2 based CPDLC option and it worked great. Did several flights within Sweden using Data Link. When ATC sends a message you get an aural alert and "ATC Message" flashes on the PFD, and you have to acknowledge the instruction within a set time. Much cleaner than using voice for common tasks. To do this legally I got LOA A056 for Data Link Communications last year (pain in the ass) and registered the plane on the EU Whitelist.

I am hopeful that Garmin will eventually release a FAA CPDLC feature for NXi (similar to the latest G3000 release).

Name:  IMG_6535.jpeg
Views: 1462
Size:  3.91 MB

Name:  IMG_0165.jpeg
Views: 1490
Size:  3.82 MB
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Wow that is some hefty AOG pain. You should fight the import duty, I think you have a good chance of recovering those funds.

I battled Embraer parts to get my two SGs replaced as both were at 800 hours. It took a couple months, but I finally got them replaced. Given your AOG pain I'm glad I did.

I'd like to know more about the CPDLC option on your NXI and the trip.
  3. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Sure. This was my fifth and sixth crossing, I used AirJourney for handling coordination and they were excellent support.

Name:  euro2022-1.jpeg
Views: 1376
Size:  288.3 KB

About 10,000 nm roundtrip. No leg was (Username Protected)er than 3:40 hrs.

Name:  euro2022-IMG_5713.jpeg
Views: 1341
Size:  1.23 MB

CYYR (Goose Bay). CanPass took forever to answer, 40 minutes or so. Was fueled and ready to depart by the time I spoke with them. On our return trip the customs officers met us by the plane so no need to call.

Name:  euro2022-IMG_5747.jpeg
Views: 1430
Size:  2.65 MB

It was ISA hot. Saw it as high as ISA+15 at FL430. Initially filed for FL450 but that didn't work, ran out of speed. So did both crossings at FL430. Excellent VHF comms.

Name:  euro2022-IMG_5749.jpeg
Views: 1321
Size:  741.3 KB

The Atlantic was obscured by clouds almost the whole time but saw a small section of Greenland.

Name:  euro2022-IMG_5765.jpeg
Views: 1327
Size:  358.2 KB

Final approach into BIRK.

Name:  euro2022-IMG_5920.jpeg
Views: 1353
Size:  1.59 MB

Epic waterfalls in Iceland.

Name:  euro2022-IMG_6179.jpeg
Views: 1349
Size:  1.01 MB

At FL130 on the arrival into my old hometown of Gothenburg (ESGG).

European IFR operations are mostly the same but has some differences. When requesting your clearance you are typically only given an initial flight level (or a SID if available) and transponder code. On the departures without a SID, I never got any departure instructions (runway heading etc) so I just followed the Jeppesen Omnidirectional departure for each airport (turn on course above X altitude).

Name:  euro2022-IMG_6232.jpeg
Views: 1354
Size:  1.43 MB

Except for at BIRK, no FBO's at the airports I visited in Europe. You just park on the ramp on dedicated parking spots as instructed but ATC, they are all "drive-thru" locations so you can taxi away without needing tow. There was typically a Marshall on-site at arrival to help you park but not on departure. I always asked to get fuel on arrival, to avoid complications on departure day.

Name:  euro2022-IMG_6409.jpeg
Views: 1349
Size:  573.1 KB

At ESSD where on my grandmother's side we can trace 11 direct generations. Over twenty relatives greeted us at the airport!

Name:  euro2022-IMG_6530.jpeg
Views: 1339
Size:  967.4 KB

Departing ESSD heading to Kiruna, some 150nm north of the Arctic Circle.

Name:  euro2022-IMG_6843.jpeg
Views: 1436
Size:  2.90 MB

During the summer the fueler guy was also the fire-and-rescue guy, so I had to wait for the SAS plane to depart until he could fuel me so he could be standby next the fire truck.

Name:  euro2022-IMG_6668.jpeg
Views: 1410
Size:  2.52 MB

Stayed at the ICEHOTEL. Cold. They have a year-round version in a huge chilled building, then every winter they build an add-on doubling space in size that melts every spring. Also Sweden's version of Glacier National Park (Abisko Nation Park) is located here, and one of the world's largest iron mines (the tour conveniently didn't mention how much iron they sold to the Third Reich).

Name:  euro2022-IMG_6854.jpeg
Views: 1370
Size:  2.28 MB

Track-up mode yields some odd looking maps.

Name:  euro2022-IMG_7042.jpeg
Views: 1420
Size:  4.15 MB

Proper welcome back to Florida. Did Gothenburg Sweden to St Pete Florida in just under 14:30 total travel time (12.3 FH). It is a small world!
  4. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    When I bought my plane it was based in Europe, so the previous owner had already complied with EU-CPDLC mandate at a pretty hefty expense via SB505-23-0005 FULL INSTALLATION OF THE CPDLC (CONTROLLER-TO-PILOTDATA LINK COMMUNICATION) and SB505-31-0019 CVDR REPLACEMENT.

I believe it was about 350 man hours + equipment (VHF 3 radio, VHF 3 antenna, new CVR), so not inexpensive. Of course later EU made a bunch of exceptions so it is not a required retrofit of planes in our class!

I also had to apply for LOA A056 Data Link Communications to use the system internationally (not required for domestic use of the FAA CPDLC system). AviationManuals helped me with the application, but I had to create my own "Phenom 300 CPDLC training program" since I couldn't find any such programs.

Name:  IMG_6992.jpeg
Views: 1455
Size:  3.07 MB

The Eurocontrol CPDLC guide states that all flight plan modifications needs to be verbally confirmed in addition to via texting, negating most of the radio chatter reduction, but the controllers I interacted with told me that a text "Wilco" response was sufficient.

Name:  IMG_6148.jpeg
Views: 1461
Size:  2.92 MB

When making requests to ATC, you don't have free input you can only use pre-defined text.

Overall pretty neat. I am hopeful that if Garmin brings the FAA CPDLC to NXi, it will only be a software load since the hardware technology is identical (VDL Mode 2).
    Attachments Attachments
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 26 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected)
    Thanks for the info on the S/G issue. I had a similar 800 (+/-) hour inflight hard S/G failure in 2021 - although I was in the USA. A check of the other side 800 (+/-) hour S/G at that time showed that it also needed an overhaul. At that time, the Embraer P300 maintenance manuals recommended 1200 hours between S/G overhauls. I received information from my Embraer FSR at that time that P300 S/Gs were typically needing overhaul at around 800 hours. I have not looked to see if the maintenance manuals have changed since my S/G failure. I also have not seen any communication from Embraer that advises operators of the S/G failure issue and their recommendations to operators on how to avoid inflight or AOG hard failures.
  6. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    I have not looked to see if the maintenance manuals have changed since my S/G failure. I also have not seen any communication from Embraer that advises operators of the S/G failure issue and their recommendations to operators on how to avoid inflight or AOG hard failures.
    The AMM Revision 14 in July 2020 revised the Restoration (Overhaul) of Starter Generator from 1200 FH to 800 FH, which is great (except mine failed at 795 hrs lol). But that also caused a "run" on generators which I think we are still seeing the supply chain issues with. So in 2021 you should have been on the new AMM, make sure that CAMP or whoever you use auto-applies the program changes.
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 26 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Darn - wrong year - my S/G failure occurred in June 2020.
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 33 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I landed in Gothenburg last year. One of the most beautiful approaches I have seen. The scenery is gorgeous. Nice trip (Username Protected). I only got stranded away from home once in over 10.5 yrs of P300 ownership, and it was a Starter Generator!
    the route you took via Iceland will be FANS1A required by next year. See (Username Protected)’s post on this. I wished Embraer had plans to equip the Phenom with it!
  9. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    The route I took is already inside the Datalink Mandate (FANS and ADS-B), but at FL430 I was above it. The key criteria is that you get to FL430 before entering oceanic airspace, which can be a challenge at ISA+15...

A safer route is further north, SAVRY 61N050W 63N040W 63N030W EPENI ELDIS which is inside the ADS-B data link exemption airspace and it only adds 100 nm.

Coming home from BIRK, clearance couldn't guarantee me FL430 since I wasn't data link equipped. So I re-filed the above route (in reverse), and when I reached FL430 about 50 miles before 63N030WI asked for a an amended clearance above the DLM.

Yeah it is annoying to have all the hardware (Iridium integrated to the avionics) but not the software.
  10. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 123 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    FYI,

The SAVRY routing option will only be good through the end of the year. After that Gander oceanic is planning to require datalink in their currently exempt airspace. Flying at FL430 will still be an option, but as (Username Protected) pointed out performance can make it hard.

Big caution- pilots have been violated for filing/ accepting FL450 and then realizing in-flight they cannot finish the climb. I NEVER file for 450 over the NA in a P300/ CJ3/ CJ4 etc...Even 430 can be tough- I had ISA+19 in June coming back from BIRK, warmest I've seen yet.

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 1294
Size:  99.3 KB
  11. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Good to know (Username Protected). Crazy they are making it so challenging to cross without ADS-C considering they now have full ADS-B coverage through the Aireon system. I guess another 100 nm further north will be required if you can’t make FL430.

Any guidance with how to ask for a clearance above the DLM when ATC refuses?
  12. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 123 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    (Username Protected)-

Not really, unfortunately. It helps to know your ETA for the entry point and when ("50 miles before XXX") you can be level at FL430. I find west out of BIRK/ BIKF seem to be the most "last minute" for clearance above DLM/ NAT HLA.

I agree it's getting harder and harder to cross in a light jet.
  13. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I found the OpsGroup blog entry on the reduced ADS-B exemption area starting 2023. Ironically it is BECAUSE the space based ADS-B system enables them to remove ground stations. I am not clear why they feel ADS-C position reports are superior to ADS-B data stream though.

Name:  4181FF5A-BBB7-4EA8-902D-7B1C5AE51C3E.jpeg
Views: 1293
Size:  595.8 KBName:  850DD77E-D2D7-4149-9901-6CCCCC7799AE.jpeg
Views: 1280
Size:  680.6 KB

https://www.navcanada.ca/en/aiceng202215.pdf
  14. Username Protected

Thanked 33 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    And the other caveat is that getting "wrong direction" clearance over NAT is very rare. (Username Protected) was lucky getting FL 430 eastbound. Not common. I agree doing a crossing in a light jet is becoming almost impossible. particular in the wintertime, as conditions in these northern airports are harsh.
  15. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I ran the numbers on the "new" DLM exempt airspace and it is not horrible for the P300. 1565 nm vs 1442 nm (via SAVRY) vs 1339 nm (direct) so adds about 10% (Username Protected)er than direct but at least FL410 is available eastbound. Far away from the NAT tracks too. Never having to talk to Gander Radio again is a win!

Name:  IMG_0195.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  754.3 KB

One pleasant surprise is that Greenland is investing significantly in their airport infrastructure. Nuuk, Illulissat, and Qaqortoq's new airports (opening 2024-25) will have (Username Protected) runways with ILS, making crossings easier for P100 and better diversion options for P300.

https://kair.gl/en/
    https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/w...-open-in-2024/
  16. Username Protected

Thanked 13 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Non-Pilot
    (Username Protected) -- this is good intel! Thanks
  17. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Lee

(Username Protected),

Did anyone in those EU nations where you landed your aircraft ask for or require proof of liability insurance coverage for your aircraft? Thanks, (Username Protected)
  18. Username Protected

Thanked 16 times
    Other
    Great report on the trip, (Username Protected). You know I love trip reports like this...

I had my first AOG event in Europe (Innsbruck, Austria) this summer as well in my PC12. I guess it was not technically AOG because we got it fixed before our next flight and thus it did not change our schedule, but the plane was not airworthy until it was fixed. It was the engine fire detection system...they call it a "fire loop" in the PT6.

I called my regular SC back in North America (actually Levaero Aviation in Canada) and they got all over it immediately. They did all the calling and arranging of the service and part delivery. They arranged for the part to be delivered from the Pilatus factory (just a few hundred miles from Innsbruck) and got a recommendation from the factory for a good AOG service center in the area. Turned out to be Urbe Aero in Wiener Neustadt, Austria.

As in your case, Urbe Aero wanted a 100% deposit pre-paid (11,000 euro) before dispatching their technician. My SC back home wired them the funds on my behalf and they will bill me later. Urbe Aero sent the mechanic in a chartered plane (must have been a small one as it was not crazy expensive) to Innsbruck and he had the repair and all the paperwork done in a few hours.

Overall, an expensive but fairly painless process for me. It was my first experience with a true AOG (i.e., something that could not be deferred via MEL) in 14 years of ownership so I was pleased with the result, particularly that my regular SC took full charge of the situation.
  19. Username Protected

Thanked 16 times
    Other
    You should fight the import duty, I think you have a good chance of recovering those funds.
    I agree. I had a strobe delivered in Bermuda once and had to pay the import fee upfront, but filled out some paperwork (which was a pain) to get a refund under the theory that the item was immediately exported (not used in Bermuda).
  20. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) (Username Protected) View Post
    Did anyone in those EU nations where you landed your aircraft ask for or require proof of liability insurance coverage for your aircraft? Thanks, (Username Protected)
    No one asked for any paperwork on my trip. Only the US border officer asked for the airworthiness and registration on return. I guess they could have if I was ramp checked.
  21. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I found the OpsGroup blog entry on the reduced ADS-B exemption area starting 2033. Ironically it is BECAUSE the space based ADS-B system enables them to remove ground stations.
    FYI I chatted with the author of that OpsGroup article. He clarified that the reason the black outlined area is reverting to Datalink Mandate is because of the removal of VHF sites within that region (VHF was a requirement for the exemption). The southern VHF station (127.9) covering the south Blue Spruce routes remain in place, but that area was DLM to begin with.
  22. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 123 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    I ran the numbers on the "new" DLM exempt airspace and it is not horrible for the P300. 1565 nm vs 1442 nm (via SAVRY) vs 1339 nm (direct) so adds about 10% (Username Protected)er than direct but at least FL410 is available eastbound. Far away from the NAT tracks too. Never having to talk to Gander Radio again is a win!
    (Username Protected)-

Once the routing needs to start over EMBOK, other airports as jumping off points start to make sense, over CYYR. I've used CYVP and CYFB on crossings, both work great with good infrastructure. NB- CYVP is not an AOE, so a stop in CYOW/ etc depending on where coming from could be required.

Name:  NA.JPG
Views: 985
Size:  52.0 KB
  23. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Thanks (Username Protected) - did you get the D195 LOA for your European trip? Am hearing this may now be a requirement, depending on where you go.

Also, have run into some churn on the A056 - from my understanding, this is only required if you intend to use data link (ATN B1 or FANS 1/A-CPDLC) while in Europe. If not, filing with DAT/CPDLCX in line 18 will avoid any flight level restrictions above 28k. Do you know (or can anyone confirm) if this is accurate?

Thanks again.
  24. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Yes I got the D195 since the FAA has hinted we all have to convert from D095 eventually and I wanted to beat the rush.

Correct on datacomm. I mostly wanted to play with it but definitely not necessary for ops, the Phenom is exempt.
  25. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 123 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    (Username Protected)-

A couple small clarifications as international LOAs are extremely confusing and 100% clear guidance is not (in my experience) to be found, with many sources contradicting each other...

-D195 v D095: I have been following this situation since it first came on the radar, and I've yet to hear a single case in which a proper (emphasis on proper) D095 (MMEL Used as an MEL) has been rejected in Europe. The problems that have arisen with operators using D095 comes when they either are not in possession of, or are unable to demonstrate familiarity with and use of, the O+M procedures.

D095 LOAs are explicit that "The operator must develop Operations and Maintenance (O and M) procedures that correspond
    with those listed in the MMEL" (quoting from mine). For example, if you want to MEL the Pressurization Auto mode in a P100, the MMEL says:

May be inoperative provided:
    a) Airplane is operated by a crew of two,
    b) Outflow Valve indication on MFD operates normally,
    c) Manual Control is used and verified operative before each flight,
    d) Auto control channel cabin pressurization indications on EIS are verified operative before each flight,
    e) Cabin Pressure indications are operative, and
    f) Airplane is operated at or below FL 250.

Where findings (you did something wrong) have been issued on SAFA checks is when an inspector says, "OK show me how if you have Auto Pressurization deferred, you will perform A-F" Crews then hem and haw, or clearly are making something up.

Embraer's MEL guidance document makes the process simple, for example just to comply with (d) above:

"Test of Auto Channel cabin pressurization indication on EIS:
    ? Energize the airplane.
    ? Pull out the CPCS Manual Channel circuit breaker (B3) on left
    circuit breaker panel.
    ? Make sure that all cabin parameters (altitude, rate, Delta-P) still
    show values and no dashes are displayed.
    ? Push the CPCS Manual Channel circuit breaker (B3) back in."

Not every manufacture I've seen creates such an easy to use and comprehensive document, so it is then incumbent on the operator to do so for every MMEL item with an (O) or (M). The operators that haven't done so are the ones getting in trouble, from every first hand account I've read.

-Not sure what year P300 you're look for, but you are only exempt from the ATN mandate if you operate a plane with a certificate of airworthiness issued before 02/05/2020. If you buy a new/ newer plane that 02/05/2020 you are not exempt, and filing CPDLCX would not be appropriate.