1. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 51 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

VCS Failure (red x) intermittent

Has anyone experienced their VCS not coming on when it's supposed to, and indicating a red x over the while logo on ECS synoptic? I noticed it once a few months ago, but on a recent flight could not get it to come on during ground ops (GPU), nor on generators after engine start, but it came on after several minutes in the climb. It did not come on when it was supposed to during descent (so the cabin temperature warmed up to SAT).
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Yes, we currently have a similar intermittent issue. VCS comes on after start on the ground for about 1 minute then turns off for the remainder of the flight. Intermittently flags failed with red X (normally top of climb or on descent). Never really blows any cold air like it should.
    Looking at the CMC, the 'VCS Low Pressure' fault is coming up so will have to re-gas the VCS which unfortunately isn't as straight forward as it sounds

I'd suggest looking at the logs and seeing if any similar faults pop up
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I had a similar issue for a while, then it flat out stopped working entirely (red X from power on).
    Troubleshooting turned up a bad pressure sensor on the high side, plus a control panel failure. Replaced the control panel and pressure sensor and all was well.
    You might have actual low pressure (need more gas) or some kind of intermittent sensor failure.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 32 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Mine was from low pressure. The system was low on a 9 year old airframe, so no surprise. The fill up solved the problem for about a week before it went low again, indicating we had a leak. The leak ended up being in the compressor that needed a replacement. Not a fun problem in May in Florida. The cockpit will stay above 90 degrees well past FL300 and it is very uncomfortable for the pax. I had a few miserable flights out of Florida while waiting a few weeks on parts (thanks Embraer). By the time you're in the mid-high 30s and getting to cruise, the temps would finally start coming down.
  5. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I've had this happen multiple times and the root cause was different each time. Not having air conditioning on the ramp at Phoenix in the summer is no fun.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 18 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    I feel your pain, (Username Protected)!
    We had a lot of problems with the original JetSuite -100s. (No “Red X” but the VCS valve would refuse to open, rendering the A/C worthless.)
    We’ve had the same issue with the 100 l’ve been flying exclusively for the past 7 years.
    When you really need air conditioning, it refuses to work.
    Last time, the Techs reduced the coolant quantity saying the very hot OAT increases the pressure, preventing the opening of the VCF!
    Two days ago, in PSP I had the same problem again.
    Inside the aircraft was 53C!
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 15 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Has anyone had a YELLOW "X" over the VCS before? We are having that issue right now. The first step of the associated FIM task (pulling and resetting 4 breakers and then OFF then AUTO with the ECS switch) works and the VCS goes back to Green, but will eventually shut off and the Yellow X re-appears. Was supposed to have it troubleshot at Embraer FLL on Thursday, but 25 inches of rain and flooding at FLL scuttled that. (We hope everyone in Ft Lauderdale is OK!) Will have a mechanic continue running the FIM tasks this coming week, but curious if anyone else has seen this.
  8. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I think I got the yellow X on at least one of my VCS failure events. My understanding is that the color of the X doesn't tell you much. Gotta troubleshoot.