1. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 25 times
    Researching Phenom 100

Engine programs

For those that have gone through a Phenom 100 OR 300 HSI or OH, how was your experience with ESP?
    is it fairly straight forward if you have fully paid program or does Pratt try to squeeze you for what they can?
    How about anyone with experience on JSSI? I have heard anecdotally that JSSI is not as good a program as the ESP, even comparing apples to apples. That is, with both fully paid, JSSI coverage is not as good?
    Any experience appreciated if you can share please!
  2. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 48 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), These programs sound great but I’m not sure I’ll continue after the engine overhaul in good 600h.
    I can only talk about JSSI: Program is 150h Minimum per year, in other words if you are below 150h you pay for 150h. In my case last year the aircraft was for two months in maintenance (10 year landing gear) and I was 30h under, similar in 2020 due to COVID. Got a 25% discount on the not flown hours. Cost for JSSI is zero, cost for me was $10,000 minimum fee in 2021 for nothing.

JSSI told me at overhaul I have to pay about 50,000 per engine by myself.

The most shocking for me was that JSSI is not keeping the money on a account, no Full Reserve (asked them how much they keep, no answer). They spend the fresh money for engines under overhaul now. In other words, JSSI need money from new cus(Username Protected)ers, if they can’t find new one is an issue….

Think about: You spend 3600x200=720K+50K from above + interest cost. Don’t know what a actual engine overhaul cost but don’t believe north than 500K. In other words 320K+ overpay and a risk one of the providers not exist anymore, money is gone than.

Hard to say what the engine insurance as a part of the program is worth.

At overhaul I’m thinking about to put the money on a bank account and than when I sell the aircraft I can discount the aircraft and the buyer can do buy in in any program if needed.

(Username Protected)
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    For those that have gone through a Phenom 100 OR 300 HSI or OH, how was your experience with ESP?
    is it fairly straight forward if you have fully paid program or does Pratt try to squeeze you for what they can?
    How about anyone with experience on JSSI? I have heard anecdotally that JSSI is not as good a program as the ESP, even comparing apples to apples. That is, with both fully paid, JSSI coverage is not as good?
    Any experience appreciated if you can share please!
    I am on ESP and just went through hot on my 300. Elliott handled everything and Dallas Airmotive did the work. I literally had to do nothing different and Elliott handled it all.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    On ESP Gold and have had two fuel switches replaced with no questions asked and no costs. Haven't been through Hots / OH yet on the aircraft personally (prior owner had and said no issues at all with P&W and they provided rental engines during OH to keep flying).

One thing to keep in mind is most banks will require current, fully paid programs for any type of financing as long as there is a lien on the aircraft.

The only perspective I can offer on JSSI is I have heard they are difficult to deal with and have yet to hear anyone say positive feedback about them. I believe there is a thread on here somewhere comparing the two.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 25 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Interesting. I went with JSSI based on advice of a fleet operator; only operational experience was a seal went out on the left. Replacement required splitting the engine. Although not required, JSSI did both engines (it was a SB).
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 11 times
    Phenom Pilot
    We have JSSI, inherited from previous owner. Did hots in November and all I paid for was travel for the crew and they flat rated that. Had them come to me. They got here on time and finished early. Cleaned up their mess and were a pleasure to have.

They said they finished early because they could work as late or as early as they wanted here in my hangar. Very nice guys.
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 29 times
    Other Services Provider
    Hi guys,
    The toughest part of what I do is to tell someone hunting for that special unicorn is, "this Phenom100EV or Phenom300 with a divan is due for a double engine overhaul in about a year and a half (xxx number of hours) and not enrolled in an engine support program." Enrollment in support programs weighs heavily on evaluating an aircraft in the eyes of many. If recently out of a heavy inspection, gear overhaul, or engine overhaul, support programs factor less.

We (hopefully) just completed an exhaustive search for a very patient client. We evaluated several enrolled/not enrolled in airframe/engine support programs and what scheduled maintenance costs would look like in the next few years after acquisition, in addition to the condition of the aircraft itself. On-condition engines make this even more complicated.

In my experience, engine programs not only to accrue for HSI & O/H, but enhance aircraft resale value $0.95 to $1.05 for each $1 accrued. Don't take my word for it, contact someone who performs aircraft valuation, like Asset Insight. I made the mistake of calling it an investment and was quickly corrected - it does not earn interest.

Even if you hate support programs, enroll in an engine program or self insure (escrow) the same as you would into a Gold level program, at minimum, to avoid the bite when the predictable cost of engine mx occurs. And make sure your aircraft insurance contains gap coverage - in the event of bird ingestion.

Name:  IMG_1166web.jpg
Views: 1616
Size:  83.1 KB
  8. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 48 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Some news from JSSI, again as 2021…. They charge 9% more for every hour due to ‚I hope you’re doing well! As your Client Relationship Manager for the subject aircraft, I have completed your account annual review for the recent contract year.
    JSSI remains dedicated to stabilizing your maintenance budget, reducing your overall maintenance costs, and providing a personalized, dedicated service. So that we may continue to provide the best support and maintain our own high standards, in accordance with Section 4.2 of your Contract, we adjust our rates annually to reflect the increases we experience in both parts and labor.
    The following engine rate adjustment will be in effect for your December 2022.‘

Best part is ‚reducing your overhaul maintenance cost.‘ Maybe I missed something… 9% is another increase after 8% last year.

Same/similar for ESP Gold?

(Username Protected)
  9. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Yes, my ESP went up by 11% this year.
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 19 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Same. $395/hr to $450. (both engines of course)
  11. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 56 times
    Aircraft Broker
    I’ve sold a lot of Phenoms over the last 10 years and I often get asked about escrowing for HSI/OH vs enrolling in engine programs. The loaner engines & the residual value impact usually sway the buyer to enroll (or stay enrolled). Unfortu(Username Protected)ly loaner engines are much more difficult to secure today. I don’t think the residual value is as impacted as when the Phenoms were young in production, however, there is a decent segment of the market that will not look at a plane without engine programs. And they tend to be the premium buyers.

As far as ESP vs JSSI - overall I have not noticed a difference in service. Mostly it’s been very good w a couple isolated incidents from either. There is still a small % of buyers that are confused about JSSI. Usually they can be educated on the program.