1. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

Engine Flushes

Any advice on engine flushes. I fly a 2012 Phenom 100 (SN 218) and am based near a beach. I've asked for recommendations from more than one maintenance shop. The feedback I have received is everything from once a month to once a year. Any feedback will be useful.
    Regards
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    (Username Protected), I did the same research a few months ago since I started flying a Phenom based in Miami, I read many things on the internet and asked a lot of people, the average answer was between 15 and 30 days, based on our operation I decided to do it every 30 days.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thank you (Username Protected). I appreciate the feedback on both duration and the rationale for your decision.
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 51 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Is an engine flush the same as a compre(Username Protected)or wash? For the latter, I’d been told every 6-12 months, so I’ve been doing every 6. The last shop charged 6hrs labor which seems a bit long…might have to shop around.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks for the heads up and the correction. I'll start calling it compre(Username Protected)or wash and I will check on pricing before I take it in.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    (Username Protected), they are charging me 1.5 hours for the compre(Username Protected)or wash, should not be more than that.
  7. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 34 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Consult what is recommended by P&WC and the conditions set by your engine program. It is recommended to do them more often if the aircraft is based in a coastal area, but there is such thing as a too often. Our 300 is based in a coastal area and is hangared full time. We do every 6 months. (Username Protected) had a case involving a pre-buy on a 100 last year where they found significant corrosion damage and a very large bill to fix it prior to sale. He stated that it had more washes than any aircraft he’d done a records review on before. If you are concerned about po(Username Protected)ible corrosion and are on ESP, take a look at Platinum coverage. The additional cost is negligible and covers corrosion/envi(Username Protected)mental damage.
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 29 times
    Other Services Provider
    Thank you (Username Protected), Confirmed. The previous owner, the owner before him and the original owner of the aircraft performed compre(Username Protected)or washes as much or more than recommended.

Before working with Embraer, I was a Powerplant Engineer working for a large regional airline flying PWC Turboprops around the Gulf Coast states. A prop instead of fan is different, but the engine compre(Username Protected)or & hot section are very similar. The airline flew hundreds of hours between compre(Username Protected)or washes. In fact, I achieved authorization to move three models of this fleet of engines from a hard time of 6500 hours Time Before Overhaul to "On-Condition". This extended the overhaul interval to an average of 13,000 hours, with a couple hot section inspections between the overhauls. Corrosion was rarely found and not to this extent.

I don't know that too many compre(Username Protected)or washes was the i(Username Protected)ue. When performing the records review, my client wanted to forego a pre-purchase inspection based on this aircraft's exemplary maintenance record. I begged him to have a few items inspected, including a look inside the engines. The boroscope inspection would be expensive if the engines were clean, but unexpected results revealed considerable corrosion.

When the aircraft was purchased a few years prior and the boroscope inspection during PPI had a few findings within limits. Then was based in a coastal envi(Username Protected)ment and continued to have regular desalination washes recorded. I can't pin point the cause, but the corrosion looked like blisters, po(Username Protected)ible spots of water.

I don't recommend reducing your desalination wash schedule, but do recommend a short run following the wash; not just dry motoring. A heat cycle will thoroughly dry it out and get rid of any liquid.

Please let me know if this helps.
    (Username Protected)
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Thanks for sharing your experience (Username Protected)! It’s a really good idea to do a short run after the wash.
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Hi Guys,
    Newbie here. I'm reading much of this and really gaining valuable insight into the proce(Username Protected)es and more-frequent areas of concern --- Thank you all for your kind sharing.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if P&WC approves of any Dry-Ice cleaning proce(Username Protected) for Engine Wash?

https://blog.coldjet.com/turbine-eng...y-ice-blasting (quick-reading reference)

Initial costs seems high - but from an ESG standpoint - i'm a(Username Protected)e(Username Protected)ing on the long term benefits of this technology and how it could be applied for a Phenom fleet..

Your thoughts most welcome. Cheers!