1. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot

NXi G1000 data data base upload issues

Hey Guys:

We are having issues uploading a newer revision of the Nav data base in a Phenom 300 NXi G1000. Our maintenance normally does this but, this time the new revision will not load into the standby data base of the airplane. Initially, the revision appears to download but, when the system is powered down then up the older revision is in the stand-by. I did notice when our maintainer was trying to do the download the new data base he pulled the bottom disk from the MFD during the download process. Then he installed the disk with the newer revision in the upper MFD slot. Prior to power up he put the bottom disk back in. Guess my question is...should the lower disk be removed at all for a revision update? Should the disc with the newer revision remain in the upper slot? The airplane has flown without an upper disk for 3 weeks without any issues. Any advice? Any references you might suggest for updating data bases. I went through this website and didn't really see anything.

Thanks, Grizz
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Our maintenance normally does this but, this time the new revision will not load into the standby data base of the airplane. Initially, the revision appears to download but, when the system is powered down then up the older revision is in the stand-by.
    You can try to swap the standby with the active (it is a soft-key or menu option, don't recall). Then reboot and try to update. If that doesn't work you can delete all the databases (via the Menu key), but you then need to reload everything including terrain etc.

Then he installed the disk with the newer revision in the upper MFD slot. Prior to power up he put the bottom disk back in. Guess my question is...should the lower disk be removed at all for a revision update? Should the disc with the newer revision remain in the upper slot?
    I typically insert the SD card into the bottom MFD slot (I had some issues using the top MFD slot). After the update sync is complete (AUX > Databases), it is safe to remove the update SD card.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Thanks for the reply (Username Protected). It appears there may be older file on the system disk that is preventing the use of the standby data base. We'll fins out this weekend.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

NXi G1000 database up load

I also only use the bottom card slot on the MFD for updates . Before power up I remove the Garmin Connext card, which is usually kept in the bottom MFD slot to allow wireless access from my iPhone and iPad, and power up with the DB update card in the bottom slot. Once the databases are updated, I replace the Connext card and do a restart via the soft key buttons. Works well.

The only issue I have is that if I don't update the standby db before it's active, it loads into the active and keeps the older standby file. I wish there was a way to put the most recent DB file in both active and standby. Anyone figure out how to do that?

Best, (Username Protected)
  5. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Generally you don't want the same file for active and standby -- I suppose the theory being that if you had a corruption or data issue with the active, at least you could roll back to a standby if needed... that's why it always swaps them.
    Are you saying that the card upload is loading directly to active and leaving the (2 generation old) standby? Not sure I've seen that behavior... usually it copies to standby, sync's, and then they swap on restart.

I also only use the bottom card slot on the MFD for updates . Before power up I remove the Garmin Connext card, which is usually kept in the bottom MFD slot to allow wireless access from my iPhone and iPad, and power up with the DB update card in the bottom slot. Once the databases are updated, I replace the Connext card and do a restart via the soft key buttons. Works well.

The only issue I have is that if I don't update the standby db before it's active, it loads into the active and keeps the older standby file. I wish there was a way to put the most recent DB file in both active and standby. Anyone figure out how to do that?

Best, (Username Protected)