1. Username Protected

Thanked 15 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

Can you fly Pt 91 without the terrain database

I'm wondering if it's possible to use the aircraft without a terrain database installed. Obviously TAWS won't work, but I don't see anything about the terrain database in the MMEL. (Most of the others are mentioned in the MMEL) I'm asking about this both from a legal standpoint and I'm wondering if the airplane will even let you go if you don't have a terrain database installed.

Why am I asking? Twice now I have went out to the airplane after the NAV database has expired and I think I powered down too quickly to activate the standby databases. When I did that, PFD2 didn't get a clean copy of the new NAV database and the only fix I found (after spending a long time on the phone with customer support) was to completely delete all databases and reload from scratch. That's not too bad except terrain takes nearly an hour to reload.

I was thinking about keeping two SD cards. One with all the current databases, except terrain and another SD card with terrain. Then if I manage to do this again, I can just reload all the databases except terrain, restart the avionics and start loading the terrain and finish the terrain download while flying to my destination. That would save over an hour on the ramp with a GPU.

Thanks,

(Username Protected)
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I mean the plane will fly fine Legally not sure if not called out in the MEL.

My Phenom 300 MEL states that GPWS may be inoperative if a) The (O) procedures are used, and b) Repairs are made within 2 flight-days.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 25 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    <Twice now I have went out to the airplane after the NAV database has expired and I think I powered down too quickly to activate the standby databases.>

Make sure you do not remove power for 60 seconds after shutting down the engines -- FADEC needs that time to record its data.
  4. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    <Twice now I have went out to the airplane after the NAV database has expired and I think I powered down too quickly to activate the standby databases.>

Make sure you do not remove power for 60 seconds after shutting down the engines -- FADEC needs that time to record its data.
    I was trained to wait until the N2 reaches 0. Do other people actually start a timer?
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 25 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    I just click on the stopwatch on the PFD.
    Not sure the time for N2 = 0; I’ve heard others use “accumulator pressure drops to zero”, but that is well short of 1 minute. FWIW.