1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

Airtext

Have any of our members installed Airtext. If so, can you share if you're satisfied with the product. How complicated was the instillation, (it apparently connects to the iridium antenna), actual costs? https://goairtext.com/
    Thank you.
  2. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 47 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Don’t know what exactly your need is, but I use https://www.iridium.com/products/iridium-go/ . Device about $700 and $150/month. With that unlimited free text, calls (Bluetooth with Bose headset and any mobile phone with App) and if you want international weather with the additional Golze This is fully mobile with a lithium battery for use in any aircraft. Installation close to pilot window or with optional antenna at different place. The optional Antenna supports Iridium only, no GPS (tracking) support than. I have it close to the side pilot window and it works great.

(Username Protected)
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thank you, (Username Protected), primary requirement was to have texts for truly urgent issues. I don't want the distraction of emails, calls, etc. when flying.
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 47 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    You get no emails as it’s not your normal email, and calls if you not share your Iridium tel number ;-) and it’s 10 times cheaper with many more options if you don’t need them by now.

Making outbound calls sometimes helpful while flying, but this is my view.

(Username Protected)
  5. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks (Username Protected). I believe all the Phenom 100s are prewired for the iridium, correct?
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 28 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), if you only need to text, take a look at the Zoleo. It is $200 for the device and around $35 per month. Also uses the iridium network, but automatically switches to cell or wifi if available in the background. There are different text packages for different needs. Works great. Connects to the iPhone or iPad and uses the iOS keyboard.
  7. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thank you, Will do.
  8. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 47 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Thanks (Username Protected). I believe all the Phenom 100s are prewired for the iridium, correct?
    That’s a good question, never thought about that. Maybe somebody knows the answer in this forum?
  9. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 47 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), if you only need to text, take a look at the Zoleo. It is $200 for the device and around $35 per month. Also uses the iridium network, but automatically switches to cell or wifi if available in the background. There are different text packages for different needs. Works great. Connects to the iPhone or iPad and uses the iOS keyboard.
    Does this work in the cockpit? Guess you have to stick it somehow close to the left/right window. Under the windshield it will not work when heating is on.
  10. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    You're getting good reception without attaching an external antenna?
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 28 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Does this work in the cockpit? Guess you have to stick it somehow close to the left/right window. Under the windshield it will not work when heating is on.
    Zoleo works no problem in the cockpit under the windshield heat mesh when it is on or off.

I used to have the Garmin inReach and that did not work under the windshield heat mesh.
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    For whatever it is worth, I use the Garmin InReach device for texting. It's cheap and easy. My only desire is to use it to text someone on the ground if plans have changed while enroute. I put the device on the side window and connect it to my ipad, and type the message on the ipad. For my purposes, it works perfectly. I have no desire to be connected to the internet while flying, nor to be able to call people.
  13. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thank you, I'll look into that as well.
  14. Username Protected

Thanked 16 times
    Other
    My PC12 had a factory installed Aircell 3100 satphone which I almost never used. So at my last annual (just completed), I had them disconnect the Aircell and run a cable from the Iridium antenna on top of the plane to the cockpit for connection to an Iridium Go. I also have it connected to a charging cable connected to a USB cube behind the co-pilot seat so it is always charged up. I have it velcroed in a little nook of the cockpit where I can reach it easily, but it is not in the way and the antenna and power cables are tucked away and secured.

So far it works great…always 4-5 bars reception and sending and receiving text or email messages via the iPhone app is easy. If I want to make calls, the app connects to my Bose A20. So far I have only used the phone to call digital ATIS numbers to get an early heads-up on runways and approaches in use.

Like (Username Protected), I also have the Gloze weather app for global weather when outside the US.

I got a $800 prepaid subscription that provides some combination of 500 minutes of voice calls, 1000 minutes of data, or 5000 text messages. You can roll over minutues year to year so I am guessing this subscription will last me at least a couple of years.
  15. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Don’t know what exactly your need is, but I use https://www.iridium.com/products/iridium-go/ . Device about $700 and $150/month. With that unlimited free text, calls (Bluetooth with Bose headset and any mobile phone with App) and if you want international weather with the additional Golze This is fully mobile with a lithium battery for use in any aircraft. Installation close to pilot window or with optional antenna at different place. The optional Antenna supports Iridium only, no GPS (tracking) support than. I have it close to the side pilot window and it works great.

(Username Protected)
    I use this exact setup. I've texted several times during flights and even made calls. Calls have mostly been reliable. If you are calling an FBO, be prepared to just tell them what you need all in one go as the delay sometimes can be bad. I also use the external antenna and found it to be a requirement.
  16. Username Protected

Thanked 13 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    I appreciate hearing about all the options for inflight phone/text capabilities. Our 300 had the Garmin connect and we got used to being able to make calls and send texts right from the GTC. Unfortunately, our 100 though it has the G3000 avionics does not have that installed and I am looking into what we can do. The Iridium Go sounds nice in that I can take it with me from the plane and use it from the hotel when we go out of the country (right now I am in Cancun and have no phone or text service, only email while on wifi). Though that could be fixed by getting an international sim card. Thanks again to everybody for their input.

(Username Protected).
  17. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I'm ordering the Iridium Go. There are dozens of resellers and service providers in US. Has anyone done the research on the best options.
    thank you
  18. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Well now i see that it's a three month wait at best for new one and used ones are pretty impossible to get.
  19. Username Protected

Thanked 13 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    I ordered an iridium go a couple of months ago and got it in less than a week from satellitephonestore.com. It cost an additional $50 (I think) for expedited delivery, but we needed it quick, so it was necessary.

(Username Protected).
  20. Username Protected

Thanked 16 times
    Other
    I got mine from Blue Cosmo and they are showing in stock.

https://www.bluecosmo.com/iridium-go...ne-access.html