1. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Barry Lerman 1957-2022

I am sad to report that Barry Lerman, a frequent contributor to Phenom Pilots and dear friend recently passed away.

From Barry's friend Ed Watters:

I am very saddened to report that longtime COPA member Barry Lerman, aged 64, unexpectedly passed away tonight, as the result of a cerebral hemorrhage, in Bradenton, FL. He was an accomplished aviator and well known and respected in the Cirrus, Eclipse, and Phenom communities.

Barry enjoyed great success in all his life endeavors and is going to be sorely missed, we were the closest of friends and aircraft partners. My wife and I were able to get here quickly yesterday so I was able to say goodbye and thank him for taking me on my first Cirrus flight. I know I am not the only one he introduced to COPA and the airplane we fly.

The family is requesting privacy at this time and I will post later regarding additional details.
    When Ed called me this morning with the news I was just stunned. We just saw each other last week when Barry and Maura came up to my son’s high school for a charity event.

Name:  IMG_3418.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  148.7 KB

Barry and I first connected when we both had Eclipse 500s and later we stepped up to the Phenom 100 around the same time. A lot of joyful conversations while researching planes together, and then often calling each other after flights to share learnings. In recent years after I got Internet on my plane, Barry would often iMessage me in-flight as he listened along on LiveATC!

Outside I flying, Barry was an immense resource helping me with the emotional process of selling your company (he had sold his company just a few years earlier). He often talked about how proud he was of his family. Life well lived but too short.

Still numb. Godspeed friend.
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 14 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    This is terrible news. Barry was a great friend and a total gentleman. He was gracious enough to take me flying in his beautiful aircraft and let me fly and land it, and I was instantly hooked on the Phenom. My heart goes out to his wife and family…
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 56 times
    Aircraft Broker
    I was travelling last week for the NBAA Leadership conference and am just catching up on the forum. This is such awful news. Barry was a gentleman who cared about the Phenom community. When he was first looking I met him in OKC to see a P100 that he ended up passing on before he bought his current one. I took him to Cattleman's Steakhouse - an old OKC standard and ordered us Lamb Fries. When Barry found out what they really were his enthusiasm waned but he stayed committed to try them. Funny how the small talk becomes difficult with a mouth full of lamb fries. We ended up finding him a great bird in the UK and the OKC experience became a fond memory. My condolences to his wife and children. He loved them very much and always centered his conversations around their activities. Godspeed, Barry.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Never met him, but followed his comments in the Eclipse community, and then Phenom. He was a great contributor It is very sad to see someone go early, my condolences to his family and friends.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    That is such sad news! I met Barry in Sarasota during my first round of training in the Phenom, and we exchanged a few emails since then. He was a super-nice guy and very willing to help out a fellow pilot - he gave me his business card which I still have in my drawer. He will be missed by all.