1. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

HondaJet

I know this might be heresy, but I’m thinking of getting a HondaJet Elite. I have had a Phenom 100 for 7 years, and love it, but am constantly pushing up against range limitations. HondaJet advertises 1430 nm for the Elite, and this would make a big difference for me.

Any feedback? Has anyone flown or owned both? Of course, I’d really rather have a 300, but in this market, that just seems unrealistic.

Thanks
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    I know this might be heresy, but I’m thinking of getting a HondaJet Elite. I have had a Phenom 100 for 7 years, and love it, but am constantly pushing up against range limitations. HondaJet advertises 1430 nm for the Elite, and this would make a big difference for me.

Any feedback? Has anyone flown or owned both? Of course, I’d really rather have a 300, but in this market, that just seems unrealistic.

Thanks
    (Username Protected) - you can join our sister site www.hjopa.org for free and chat with HondaJet owners.
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 51 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Hi (Username Protected),
    We comparison shopped the HondaJet extensively before settling on the Phenom (primarily on cost, as there are not any 10 year old HondaJets that have depreciated down to $2m), so here's my limited $0.02.

Many of the HondaJets are listed for sale with Michelle at https://www.globaleliteaviation.com/, and I found her to be extremely knowledgable and helpful. We visited one of her listings in person (N72HJ, no (Username Protected)er on the market), and I was really impressed with the interior design and build quality, which seemed better to me than the well done Phenom. We didn't take it flying, just sat in cabin for awhile and powered up a GPU to look at the cockpit. For downsides, the ramp appeal is lacking for some, and a consideration for us was that the training and factory service are both in North Carolina (and our base is in the San Francisco area). Hope this helped!
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Hi (Username Protected),
    We comparison shopped the HondaJet extensively before settling on the Phenom (primarily on cost, as there are not any 10 year old HondaJets that have depreciated down to $2m), so here's my limited $0.02.

Many of the HondaJets are listed for sale with Michelle at https://www.globaleliteaviation.com/, and I found her to be extremely knowledgable and helpful. We visited one of her listings in person (N72HJ, no (Username Protected)er on the market), and I was really impressed with the interior design and build quality, which seemed better to me than the well done Phenom. We didn't take it flying, just sat in cabin for awhile and powered up a GPU to look at the cockpit. For downsides, the ramp appeal is lacking for some, and a consideration for us was that the training and factory service are both in North Carolina (and our base is in the San Francisco area). Hope this helped!
    Thank you! I have been talking to Michelle. Very knowledgeable. I appreciate the feedback
  5. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Does anyone sit in the back? I find the HondaJet to be really cramped feeling in the back.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 40 times
    Praetor/Legacy Owner & Pilot
    I looked seriously at a Honda Jet. Jeff Mossy is a Jet instructor you may have heard of. I never took instruction with him, but I did talk to him about the Honda Jet. He did not have good things to say about it. The biggest negative I heard was the fueling. I haven't done it myself but it happens at the top of the tail so requires a ladder. The bladder fills up, expands, and then spits jet fuel back out. Apparently the line guys don't like taking Jet-A showers - I can't imagine why. I guess it also takes a (Username Protected) time to fuel. This was 3 years ago when I was looking at a new Honda Jet and before I was competent in flying any jet.
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 16 times
    Other
    One consideration I have heard several times is the HondaJet has a "hard" crosswind limitation of 20 KTS. By "hard" I mean a Section 2 of the AFM limitation (thou shall not) not just a demonstrated value. Depending on the airports you use (availability of crossing runways of sufficient length), this could cause some diversions.

Here are the ranges from BCA's 2020 Purchase Planning Handbook for the Elite model...

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 3237
Size:  50.4 KB
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    The 20-kt crosswind hard limitation on the Hondajet is a deal killer, no matter the price. That would make it useless at an airport like Bozeman.
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    The 20-kt crosswind hard limitation on the Hondajet is a deal killer, no matter the price. That would make it useless at an airport like Bozeman.
    I believe that limitation will be lifted on the Elite S2 which is scheduled to be announced soon