1. Username Protected

Thanked 15 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

Frozen Fuel Cap Locks

Hello,

After sitting in the rain in Florida, I flew north and landed in freezing weather and found the keys unable to go into the fuel caps. I worked with the lineman and we were able to get some glycol down inside the locks to free them up again. But is there an easier way to prevent this problem from happening?

Are there alternative fuel caps that can be kept unlocked unless needed?

Thanks,

(Username Protected)
  2. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Hi (Username Protected),

I was able to make my fuel caps unlocked all the time. I used the key and pushed it in about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way and was able to slowly wiggle/turn the cylinder to open. I surprised myself as It was really too easy - took 30 seconds. Now I never need a key.

(Username Protected)
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 13 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    Hi (Username Protected),

I was able to make my fuel caps unlocked all the time. I used the key and pushed it in about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way and was able to slowly wiggle/turn the cylinder to open. I surprised myself as It was really too easy - took 30 seconds. Now I never need a key.

(Username Protected)
    Some people just put key into the lock and break it there. That's what I got on my Phenom 100 from the previous owner. Don't understand if I need/want to fix it
  4. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Some people just put key into the lock and break it there. That's what I got on my Phenom 100 from the previous owner. Don't understand if I need/want to fix it
    Thats how I got it from the previous owner . It never bothered me, unlocking the fuel caps for the fuelers is a pain.
  5. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Are there alternative fuel caps that can be kept unlocked unless needed?
    Mine came with fuel caps that have no key at all. I know they're after(Username Protected)et of some sort, but couldn't tell you where to get them.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Take your fuel caps to a local locksmith shop (with the key). They can pick them open and leave them open. When I did this, I took them about 5 minutes.
  7. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 56 times
    Aircraft Broker
    Many owners buy after(Username Protected)et fuel caps - just keep the original ones for when it comes time to sell.
  8. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 39 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    All of the above tricks work or you can order the unlocked ones from Chris Grinnell at Aerostar. I did a contract trip where the fuel keys were misplaced and someone on the field used a random tool box key off of his key ring and it worked perfectly. Super security!
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Same happened to me bringing a Phenom 100 across the North Atlantic. Rain all night in Iceland and freezing temps in Greenland. Had to pull the aircraft heater out and blow hot air on the caps for several minutes before I could get the key in to unlock. On the Phenom I managed and flew I replaced the original locking caps with after(Username Protected)et caps that do not lock. For 99% of my operations the locking fuel cap serves zero benefit.
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I had the same problem, rain and freezing temps, flying from Iceland to Greenland (BGSF). Nobody could find a heater so we used the truck's exhaust to heat the key to unthaw the lock. Major pain. I'll try (Username Protected)'s wiggle trick to extract the key.
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected)

I tried your method with no joy! I have an EV as well. Maybe I'm not holding my mouth right
  12. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Hi (Username Protected) - were you standing on one foot? I forgot to put that in the original instructions.

Sorry to hear it didn't work.

At the next Phenom get together I'd be happy to try and pick everyone's fuel key locks!

(Username Protected)
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Aircraft Broker
    Please do not drill the lock out and fill the hole with a sealant. I have seen the sealant come out, and the wind act as a vacuum and suck the fuel out the wing. Makes for a fight on landing.
  14. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Got a key made today that wasn’t the same blank for the fuel cap but locksmith said to try it. It would only go in one way but to my surprise with a little effort it unlocked the cap and I was able to remove the key with it unlocked and I was standing on both feet?. Problem solved!!!!!!
  15. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Awesome - glad it worked. So I guess I'll take "stand on one foot" out of the checklist.
  16. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    These covers work great. They completely cover the fuel caps so the caps don't get snowed on or freezing rain on them.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...t_13-21885.php

The covers have a sticky underside to stay in place on top of the caps. That handles the snow case but doesn't help the scenario where you're taking off in the rain and then land at an airport below freezing. I've found that just pouring a little hot water into the key hole melts any ice that forms in there. The hot water doesn't get in the tank, just like the rain doesn't and it melts the ice within seconds.

I still can't find a fuel cap that is unlocked. If anyone has found that, please post.