1. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

AD 2021-23-12 - Radio Altimeter Flight Restriction / 5G Wireless (all Embraer Models)

This AD requires an update to the AFM by Embraer by January 4, 2022 adding Radio Altimeter Flight Restrictions to the Limitations Section.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 10.55.51 PM.jpg
Views: 1902
Size:  100.4 KB

2021-23-12.pdf
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks (Username Protected). I(Username Protected)ically I think very few (if any) Phenom can do SA CAT I, CAT II, CAT II or RNP (AR), so the AD limitations don't really apply?
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Ahh yea, that is a very good point!
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 34 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    While not technically applicable, since our jet is on a 135 cert we still had to post it to meet their maintenance program standards. Still doesn't make sense to me.
  5. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Embraer just released Flight Operations Letter FOL PHE505-001/22: 5G C-BAND POTENTIAL INTERFERENCE ON RADAR ALTIMETERS

Summary

The Phenom 300 airplanes are optionally equipped with Honeywell Radar Altimeter model KRA-405B, which may be affected by 5G C-Band interference below 500 ft AGL.

The interference of the 5G C-Band signal may cause the Radar Altimeter to:
    – present er(Username Protected)eous indication,
    – indicate “no computed data” (like an altitude above 2500 ft AGL, where there should be no radar altitude indication on the PFDs), or
    – declare a failure condition (RALT FAIL message displayed on the EICAS).

The systems and functions affected by er(Username Protected)eous Radar Altimeter indication are:
    – Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance System
    – TCAS II (OPTIONAL)
    – Terrain Awareness and Warning System
    – TAWS-A (OPTIONAL)
    – Reactive Windshear (OPTIONAL)
    – Predictive Windshear (OPTIONAL)
    – Landing Gear Aural Warning
    – Runway Overrun Awareness and Alerting System (ROAAS) (OPTIONAL)

All operators are encouraged to report events of anomalous radar altimeter behavior to Embraer without delay. Reports of consistent anomalous radar altimeter behavior in approximately the same location could be an indication of potential interference.
  6. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I was told that to comply with this AD you simply need to add the paperwork to your AFM. Does that sound correct? I have not looked deeply through it.
  7. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 34 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    That is correct. Specifically see section g and it states adding a copy of the AD to the AFM demonstrates compliance. Add an entry to CAMP or whatever program you use and it’s all done.
  8. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Is there any evidence that 5G interferes with ANY avionics? The technology has been around for sufficient time in a number of countries and should be very easy to test. The FAA had people turning off phones and PEDs for decades before finally agreeing it makes no difference. This site provides some answers from those promoting the 5G.
    https://www.5gandaviation.com/?gclid...BoCSToQAvD_BwE
    ...and this is the best I could find from the FAA
    https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/faa-statements-5g
    and
    https://www.faa.gov/5g
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 25 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    (Username Protected), I’ve witnessed cell phone interference. Flying a LNAV/VNAV approach with a G1000 and my copilot (the owner) had left his cell phone on. When it began receiving signals (probably also transmitting/receiving mail and messages), his CDI/GS (PFD2) became quite erratic and unusable for the remainder of the approach.
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 15 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    That is correct. Specifically see section g and it states adding a copy of the AD to the AFM demonstrates compliance. Add an entry to CAMP or whatever program you use and it’s all done.
    I recently switched my subscription to all but the QRH in elect(Username Protected)ic format only. Therefore do I need to remove my paper AFM from the cockpit to be compliant? I don’t think I’ve ever looked at it in flight so it’s not necessary other than it has the original W&B in it. Do I remove those and leave the W&B in the a/c or can that be elect(Username Protected)ic copy only as well?

Thanks,

(Username Protected)
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor

5g Radar Alt interference

I am seeing a lot of unusual readings now on the P300 Radar Alt setting. Will jump around between 150 and 950 feet taxiing on the ramps at KCLM in particular, but also observed at KCOE.

Thanks
    (Username Protected)
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 25 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Thanks (Username Protected) --- I can't emphasize too much, make sure those get reported, both to ATC as well as to Embraer.
    Perhaps most importantly, the FAA at this address:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/nas/RADALT_reports/

My airline had an Airbus significantly impacted in Denver yesterday. (Remember, RADALT ties in to many systems, such as EGPWS. Embraer provides a list in FOL 505-001/22.