1. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

AD 2021-24-21 - Minimum Operation Speeds below -54C (both P100 and P300)

The FAA has posted AD 2021-24-21 which goes effective January 25, 2022.

The FAA is adopting a new airworthiness directive (AD) for certain Embraer S.A. Model EMB-500 and EMB-505 airplanes. This AD was prompted by a report that the operational envelope does not contain airspeed limitations and procedures for operating the airplane at static air temperatures below -54 °C. This AD requires revising the airplane flight manual (AFM) to incorporate new and revised airspeed limitations and procedures. The FAA is issuing this AD to address the unsafe condition on these products.
    The minimum speeds are needed because:

Although the affected airplanes were designed for operation at temperatures below -54 °C, the operational envelope in the AFM does not contain the necessary limitations and procedures to operate safely in these colder temperatures. The MCAI states that operation of the affected airplanes at static air temperatures below -54 °C without these limitations could cause several systems and components to operate inadequately, resulting in multiple systems failures.
    The resolution involves:

(1) For Model EMB-500 airplanes: Revise Section 2 Limitations and Section 5 Performance of the existing AFM for your airplane by incorporating the information in “V–OPERATING INFORMATION,” of Embraer Phenom Operational Bulletin No. 500-001/20, dated March 9, 2020. You may use a different document provided the language is identical .

(2) For Model EMB-505 airplanes: Revise Section 2 Limitations, Section 5 Performance, and Supplement 2 of the existing AFM for your airplane by incorporating the information in “V–OPERATING INFORMATION,” of Embraer Phenom Operational Bulletin No. 505-005/13, Revision 1, dated March 9, 2020. You may use a different document provided the language is identical to the language.
    The good news is that the EMB-500 AFM 2656, Revision 24, dated March 17, 2020, and EMB-505 AFM-2665, Revision 21, dated March 13, 2020, already incorporate the minimum speeds. So if you use those AFM revisions or later you are good, just a logbook entry required!

Thanks John for notification of the AD.
    Attachments Attachments
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Here are the numbers for the P300. Minimum speeds from O.B. N°: 505-005/13

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 08.04.17.jpg
Views: 2682
Size:  90.3 KB

Minimum speeds from AFM Rev 21 and later:

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 08.05.21.jpg
Views: 2689
Size:  67.7 KB
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Any suggestions on how to best print the pages for insert into the AFM? I'm assuming the paper copies are a paid subscription - not sure what it costs but like everything jet-related it's probably really expensive and no worth it for the few updates we have per year. Also where to get a hole punch that will match the holes in the factory binders?
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 42 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I’m assuming the recent operating temperature envelope update incorporates this update as well?

(Username Protected)-
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    This item is showing up on my Sierratrax as an overdue item. Do I need an A&P to enter this item into my logbooks (and Sierratrax) or is this something a pilot is able to do? For my upcoming recurrent training, I am required to present an airworthy aircraft, and as part of this they require "..an AD compliance sheet issued within the previous 14 day period that shows all issued AD's against aircraft and components and method of compliance".
  6. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 51 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I've been digging into this too (Username Protected). I think it will require an A&P signature (someone please confirm or correct) but you can probably do some of the work yourself to keep the labor time to near 0. If you have a digital only subscription to the operations manual, I'm not sure the validity of printing and in inserting into the AFM yourself...seems logical of course, but my instinct says it the page has to come from Embraer in some form. Per the 2022 Tech Pubs price lists, it looks like there's a 'hard copy only' AFM for $400, but there has to be a way just to get the new pages?

In general, if anyone could explain the best solution(s) for making updates to the AFM/POH as required by ADs such as this, that would be helpful. I assume this situation is fairly infrequent as getting the latest AFM/POHs as they come out would typically solve for this issue, but do any of the digital-only subscriptions have add-on capability to get single page updates like this, or do people rely just on the digital versions?
  7. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Has Embraer provided a placard for the temperature limitations for the P300. We have made them for the P100 and P100EV and if operators want, we can do the same for the P300.
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    What happens if you go below these speeds? What systems are affected?