1. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Phenom 100 overrun (SSZR)

Another Phenom 100 overrun happened in Brazil on Dec 14th, 2021. No one was hurt according the news reports.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/270648

An Embraer EMB-500 Phenom 100 jet, sustained substantial damage when it experienced a runway excursion after landing at Santa Rosa Airport (SRA/SSZR), Rio Grande do Sul, and came to the rest in a ditch at the end of the runway.
    The two pilots and passenger were not injured.

Name:  FGpxvkQXMAMJ-Oy.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  59.9 KB
  2. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Looks like the plane was still very fast 3/4 of the way down a short 3937' runway...

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 5.52.24 AM.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  70.7 KB
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 51 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Surprisingly little deceleration in the video, it looks like they’re just gliding at 30kts the whole way. Wet runway or brake fail? Also curious what caused the yaw/spin motion at the end, pilot input to turn before end of runway? I would think continuing straight would be preferable
  4. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    We don’t know the facts yet on this accident so this comment is general in nature. It should be a high priority for PWC to work with EMB to develop a low ground idle thrust like (Username Protected) has with the CJ3+ And CJ4 to reduce thrust after touchdown and runway requirements. We have no thrust reversers, thrust attenuators, spoilers (on most of the fleet), split vertical stabilizer, dual wheels. This is a fix that should be explored. Also update the NXi to include high speed warning for runway length.
  5. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    It should be a high priority for PWC to work with EMB to develop a low ground idle thrust like (Username Protected) has with the CJ3+ And CJ4 to reduce thrust after touchdown and runway requirements.
    We have a bunch of IDLE modes today, including Ground Idle. You think they could tweak to an even lower setting?

• Flight Idle without Anti-Ice;
    • Flight Idle with Anti-Ice;
    • Approach Idle without Anti-Ice;
    • Approach Idle with Anti-Ice;
    • Ground Idle.
  6. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Also curious what caused the yaw/spin motion at the end, pilot input to turn before end of runway? I would think continuing straight would be preferable
    It looks like the runway is elevated ~30ft at the end. I can understand not wanting to go down the embankment and kicked the rudder hard (better to go into the grass than downslope I guess). Momentum had a different idea though....
  7. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Yes. I believe CJ3+ is 8%
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 13 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    We don’t know the facts yet on this accident so this comment is general in nature. It should be a high priority for PWC to work with EMB to develop a low ground idle thrust like (Username Protected) has with the CJ3+ And CJ4 to reduce thrust after touchdown and runway requirements. We have no thrust reversers, thrust attenuators, spoilers (on most of the fleet), split vertical stabilizer, dual wheels. This is a fix that should be explored. Also update the NXi to include high speed warning for runway length.
    I think a warning about unstabilized approach is something that could be done easily. It's probably doesn't require complicated certification and testing. Moreover, Embraer presented this feature for g3000 aircrafts a few days ago and they could just adopt it to NXi.

The question is will a pilot care about that message. When we analyse many overruns we can see that approach was DEFINITELY unstable. And most likely pilot knew about that and kept trying to land :(
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 26 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    I cringe everytime I hear of these accidents. A look at the environment and the POH landing performance can be telling. Wet asphalt 3937 ft runway in a Phenom 100 with four people on board. If everything was flown to perfection (highly improbable) and maximum braking (probably not done initially), the unfactored landing distance will be ~3500 ft. I predict the brakes performed exactly as designed. This is another great example of why pilots should consider using "factored" landing distances for their real world planning. The factored landing distance comes out to ~5300 feet.
  10. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 39 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    (Username Protected) nailed it.
    Fly the plane by the book all day every day and she’ll treat you well.
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    The Captain and I were scheduled to fly to that destination on same day. We had to change the DEST due to the overrun. We received the information via whatsapp from other pilots. There were no notams or any message from ATC about that. The pilot network did the job.