1. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 42 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

NXi Upgrade and fly.garmin.com?

We had the NXi upgrade done and was wondering if we have to do anything in fly.garmin.com for the new avionics? I tried to add in the new "device" but since our system ID didn't change it says it's already loaded up. I also couldn't delete the device without contacting Garmin which seems weird. Is it the same DB downloads and doesn't really matter?

Thanks!

(Username Protected)-
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    You want to change it to NXi (I don't think the G1000 version includes IFR/VFR Charts since they can't be displayed). Call them and they will swap the type for you.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 20.40.20.jpg
Views: 3239
Size:  20.3 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 20.40.13.jpg
Views: 3151
Size:  53.4 KB
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 42 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thank you, I reached out to Garmin Aviation Support, hopefully they can square it away. The databases did update fine except for Obstacle for some reason.

(Username Protected)-
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 42 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    So is there a different way to do CMC downloads with the NXi upgrade? I've looked through every menu item and can't find it anywhere. I hope it's not something Prostar missed.

(Username Protected)-
  5. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    So is there a different way to do CMC downloads with the NXi upgrade? I've looked through every menu item and can't find it anywhere. I hope it's not something Prostar missed.
    It is under AUX - Maintence one the MFD. If it is not there they missed it, it is a feature that needs to be enabled during configuration.
  6. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 42 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Dang it, I had a hunch it was going to be something like that. I hate being a service centers first, lol

(Username Protected)-
  7. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I think it's actually an additional file they have to upload during setup. I didn't get it either, then had it fixed. Then I installed the GWX75 radar, which required a reinstall of the system, and they forgot to add it again.

The worst part is that I am literally at KIWA right now and Embraer is evidently "too busy" to spend the 0.5 hours to load the missing software. They want me to come back in 2 weeks.
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    What's the file that needs to be uploaded to fix the CMC issue? I have the same problem on the NXi on my P300. Embrear maintenance at FLL claims to have never heard of the problem and don't know how to fix it.
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Garmin made me cancel my old G1000 subscription and start a new one for the NXi.
  10. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 42 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Same and no refund.
  11. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    What's the file that needs to be uploaded to fix the CMC issue? I have the same problem on the NXi on my P300. Embrear maintenance at FLL claims to have never heard of the problem and don't know how to fix it.
    To get AUX - Maintenance Logs to show, the Service Center or Garmin dealer needs to follow the CMC configuration procedure listed in Garmin SB 1999 Rev B.

If they have any follow-up questions they can reach out to Rodrigo Soares ([email protected]), Garmin Field Service Engineer (OEM).

I goggled Garmin "SB 1999 Rev B" but the only match is... lol https://www.phenompilots.org/threads...-update-gotcha where Jared Gowlis explained the issue just over a year ago.
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Pratt & Whitney keeps sending me emails wanting me to upload CMC data. Since I switched to NXi, I'm not sure how to do that anymore. I tried to export it to SD card and it just sat there and did nothing. So I assume I'm doing something wrong.

Does anyone have a cheat sheet for pulling whatever files they need off of the NXi systems and uploading it to P&W?
  13. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 25 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    To convert a straight G1000 P100 to NXI, I understand that new displays are provided.
    Anything else as far as hardware?
    is it required to change the audio panel during conversion?
    what exact benefits does the NXI provide?
  14. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 51 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Two safety features:
    - Visual approaches (Garmin computes a virtual 3 degree glide path to give you vertical guidance/situational awareness)
    - Onboard Weather Radar displays on moving map or HSI. Legacy (pre TXi upgrade) systems only display the radar returns on a dedicated weather radar page without being able to overlay on anything.
    Other features: higher resolution screens, faster bootup after initial aircraft powerup, faster scrolling/paging user experience.

(Username Protected) did this awesome overview video:

I think the two safety features are worth it alone. Better screens and faster system seem like 'nice to haves', it's not a big deal not to have them. The visual approach in particular, because one of the Phenom's biggest safety threats is coming in too high/fast - there have been several overruns. Ideally everyone is committing to the stabilized approach concepts and going around when necessary, but having the 3 degree advisory can help you verify a stable approach well before having the airport environment in sight, even in VFR conditions. But since you're flown an Eclipse, this likely isn't a new concept and as big a challenge for you, so if you don't spend a lot of time trying to navigate thunderstorms, the Legacy G1000 might be suitable for you. I operate in California where I am rarely using the weather radar, and most airports we go into have approaches with vertical guidance anyways, so I am making do with the legacy system for now.
  15. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 25 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    (Username Protected),
    Thats a very concise video of the features that come with NXi. Thank you
    you are probably right. It’s not essential but sure would be nice to have those conveniences.
    Would I want them?….absolutely! But, you are right, don’t necessarily need those features.
    all in due course!
  16. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    - Onboard Weather Radar displays on moving map or HSI.
    I *think* the GWX-75 radar is required for this. Can someone that has NXi and the original GWX-68 confirm?
  17. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Anything else as far as hardware?
    is it required to change the audio panel during conversion?
    New keypad for FMS. Audio panels and radar are optional hardware components. Everything else (GIA boxes etc) remain.
  18. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 74 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I *think* the GWX-75 radar is required for this. Can someone that has NXi and the original GWX-68 confirm?
    Nope, I didn’t do the radar upgrade and overlays still work fine. I like having the radar overlay on the MFD MM and NEXRAD on the PFD insert for sanity checking.
  19. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Nope, I didn’t do the radar upgrade and overlays still work fine. I like having the radar overlay on the MFD MM and NEXRAD on the PFD insert for sanity checking.
    Agreed. Works as well on mine.
  20. Username Protected

Thanked 27 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Hi (Username Protected),

What’s the new keypad for NXi? I did the NXi upgrade in my Phenom 100, but it still has the original keypad, I believe. Is that a Phenom 300 thing perhaps?

(Username Protected)
  21. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    What’s the new keypad for NXi? I did the NXi upgrade in my Phenom 100, but it still has the original keypad, I believe. Is that a Phenom 300 thing perhaps?
    You should have gotten a new keypad too. It looks identical, the main difference is the panning joystick has more range of motion.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 16.49.31.png
Views: 2803
Size:  43.0 KB
  22. Username Protected

Thanked 27 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks (Username Protected). In that case, I probably did get the new FMS hardware — it just looks the same.