1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

First CAE Recurrent

Hey all--

Going to CAE in mid-January for my first recurrent and also first time ever in a real simulator, as I did both the Phenom and previous type rating in-airplane.

Any recommendations on what I should study or brush up on ahead of time to get ready for it, if anything?
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Expect the oral to be as detailed as your initial. Know the limitations and memory items down pat.

For the v1 cuts, take your time and make sure you are heading straight down the runway before you rotate.

The sim will feel more mechanical. During strep turns you won’t feel the g-forces you are used to. Expect weather to really be at minimums, after approach lights are in sight go back on the PFD and fly the glide slope - too easy to ballon otherwise. Don’t use the excuse that the sim doesn’t fly like the plane, the instructor knows
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 74 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    If you haven't been to CAE, trust me when I say folks aren't kidding about memorizing the memory items and limitations (which they give you in a handy flipbook for the initial, not sure about recurrent). My examiner just took out the flip book and went through the entire thing card by card. The rest of the oral was pretty straight-forward systems knowledge, no real "gotchas" except where the examiner clearly wanted to help explain an more esoteric part of the system that we may not have fully understood so asked a difficult question.
    On the sim, one nice thing is that it's more or less exactly the same between the practice and the checkride... you'll have flown all the approaches and maneuvers in the exact same conditions, so it's really just a matter of having your procedures down, using your checklists properly, and knowing how to work the avionics (which shouldn't be an issue for recurrent).
  4. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 104 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    The advice provided above is spot on. Start memorizing the flash cards now!

Are you attending in-person ground school or doing it virtually? At the recent EJOA conference CAE said it was rolling out virtual ground school at the end of this year. I am planning on taking the virtual route if available in February. For your 1st time at CAE the in-person may be a good idea provided the class is taught by an experienced Phenom pilot. The interactive systems simulator used in the classroom is pretty cool.

They are a stickler for paper work. Make sure you have your medical, pilot license, and passport.

The cafeteria is only open for the 3-meals of the day. The food is pretty good and reasonably priced. Keep a healthy snack handy if you have an early or late sim session.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I also did my initial in my plane (a Phenom 300) and went to CAE for my first recurrent.

Flying in the Sim was the most challenging aspect for me; I would suggest doing a bunch of seat flying b/c the instructors I had were not pilots. As such, there was zero instruction . . . they were basically just looking to see if you are following the standard operating procedures for each maneuver. I found it to be pretty stressful and not at all helpful to make me a better, safer, more competent pilot.

I have not been back to CAE since.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    My suggestion is to hand fly your airplane for 10 or 15 hours to tighten up your instrument skills.
    The sim generally seems more sensitive.
    (Username Protected)
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 15 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    For me, the most difficult part of the recurrent was getting comfortable with the G1000 since my a/c has the G3000. They have G1000 desktop avionic simulators that are generally available at all hours so I spent some time in there before heading into the sim. And yes, know the aircraft limitations. I think I was asked every card in the book.

--(Username Protected)
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    I also did my initial in my plane (a Phenom 300) and went to CAE for my first recurrent.

Flying in the Sim was the most challenging aspect for me; I would suggest doing a bunch of seat flying b/c the instructors I had were not pilots. As such, there was zero instruction . . . they were basically just looking to see if you are following the standard operating procedures for each maneuver. I found it to be pretty stressful and not at all helpful to make me a better, safer, more competent pilot.

I have not been back to CAE since.
    Every instructor and tce is a pilot!
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I did both my initial and my first recurrent in the plane, but had a chance to do a 2-hour sim session with my Phenom instructor while my husband was at CAE for his recurrent last spring. The physical feel and mechanical feedback in the sim is very different from flying the plane. It's mostly a system that is geared for flying the systems and the procedures. And how well you will do in the sim is entirely dependent on how well you fly those.
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    I did both my initial and my first recurrent in the plane, but had a chance to do a 2-hour sim session with my Phenom instructor while my husband was at CAE for his recurrent last spring. The physical feel and mechanical feedback in the sim is very different from flying the plane. It's mostly a system that is geared for flying the systems and the procedures. And how well you will do in the sim is entirely dependent on how well you fly those.
    The only really different thing is the brakes, the sim replicates extremely well the airplane, it’s maybe a little bit more sensitive and in the sim you generally don’t fly in turbulence or bad weather conditions, making the whole thing a lot easier.
  11. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 74 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    The only really different thing is the brakes, the sim replicates extremely well the airplane, it’s maybe a little bit more sensitive and in the sim you generally don’t fly in turbulence or bad weather conditions, making the whole thing a lot easier.
    Don't forget the ground steering... *barf*
  12. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 104 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Don't forget the ground steering... *barf*
    You have to keep one eye closed on the ground....
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 40 times
    Praetor/Legacy Owner & Pilot
    I just finished my recurrent at CAE. I did the remote ground school. When you do this, you have to pass a test on site. The test is from a bank of 50 questions. You get two chances to pass. Some of the questions are somewhat esoteric and I didn't pass the first time. I got 72% and 80% is required to pass. The second time became a bit more instructor helped/open book because a second fail would have meant repeating ground school. IMHO this is silly because I do have good knowledge of the aircraft systems. Remember when you took your commercial test? Like that except phenom systems. Of course, with the commercial you can study to the question bank. (You may be thinking I'm a dummy to fail but I recently got 97% on the commercial. So, I'm not that slow.)

Also, I would highly recommend not doing the 61.58 check right away in the simulator. Unless you are totally sim current and it will be easy, you likely will fail. I have relatively low hours (1200 total, 400 in the 300) and I failed the 61.58 check. I was with another pilot that has 10k total time in lots of other jets and around 300 in the Phenom and he also failed. I would have no problem passing this checkride in the actual plane. They did a 2 hour session or remedial training in the sim and then the checkride went fine. I highly recommend you book some training and then the checkride.
  14. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I came back from CAE last week and agree with many of the comments above about the simulator. I enjoyed the instructors both classroom and simulator and that makes a major contribution to the experience. One suggestion I've made to CAE is to make all landings on contaminated runways and/or shorter runways--6000 feet. We aren't seeing engine failures, but we are seeing too many aircraft going off the end of side of the runway. This is something you can't practice safely in the airplane. I know the reaction will be the "FAA won't let us change the curriculum..." but if CAE and FlightSafety collaborated on the issue it could be possible.
  15. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    I am going to my first recurrent next month and for the first time in my career I do not know what is going to be. Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to fly the aircraft much. The Captain I fly with do not allow me to fly the aircraft. I mostly flew as PM/PNF. Up to now, we have a total of 83 sectors flown and a little over 100 hours on type. I did 14 landings and 15 hours as PIC only in nine months of operation. My last flight as PF was in April 8th and we had 19 sectors after that. From january to now, I flew two (2) sectors as PF and 38 sectors as PM. I lost my recency last january and it is really hard to be in a situation like this. You are in the aircraft, but you do not get the cance to fly it. Probably, I will downgrade to SIC. Let's see what happens...Good luck to all of us !
  16. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), don’t worry. think PIC. you’re not graded on smooth landings. They’ll let you get the feel of the simulator, do some stalls and steep turns. Remember there’s no rush to do anything. You’ll know what you’re doing before they have you do it. Just get the memory items and limitations down before you go so that’s behind you. Enjoy
  17. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Thanks (Username Protected) ! thanks for your reply. I look forward to have the opportunity to learn more, be able to have the hands on the controls once again and get the feeling/grip back. The few opportunities I had, I did six touch and goes, in the begining, for training; one ILS approach, four RNP approaches (LNAV/VNAV) and three visual traffic patterns and landings.
  18. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I'm scheduled to go to CAE next year for a recurrent, but last thing I want to do after flying a 100 for a couple of years is fail a checkride for a blunder I'm sure to make or because I forgot a couple of obscure oral questions. I expect great things for my investment in time and money at CAE, and to come away from the experience a much better pilot. But from this thread I'm not hearing that is the case.

Am I missing something?
  19. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), i wouldn't worry about it. they want you to pass. they give you everything you need for the memory items.
    if you make a mistake on the check ride, you can do that one item over.
  20. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    (Username Protected), take your time and do the best you can. That's what I am going to do! I brought the subject because for the first time after 10 years in aviation I am not getting the opportunity to fly the aircraft even with flights going on (the other pilot does not like to switch sectors, he flies 99%) and that is something to consider before going to the sim. Fly as you train, train as you fly...right? If I do not fly...we have to work with what we've got.
  21. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    To close the loop on this thread, I didn't find the experience at CAE to be stressful or hard. Just know what you're supposed to know.
  22. Username Protected

Thanked 27 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I just finished my first recurrent at CAE last week, and it was a good experience. I agree they want to help you pass. The main advice I have is to have all the limitations and memory items memorized before getting there.
  23. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I just finished my first recurrent at CAE last week, and it was a good experience. I agree they want to help you pass. The main advice I have is to have all the limitations and memory items memorized before getting there.
    Agreed on this and all of the comments. I will be going for my fourth 300 recurrent and will be my 7th visit there. If you show that you know the items above and that you care and want to learn, they will take on the roll of a teacher as well and look to provide you tips and guidance.

As an aside - my 300 is down for the 10 year still due to some bearings being on backorder for the gear. I will be going there cold turkey end of June without flying since mid April. Not my favorite.