1. Username Protected

Thanked 35 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

HHR Hawthorne. California advice

I’m flying to LA area next Monday 11/29 for a couple of quick days of golf then up to the Monterey peninsula for some more torture.

I have planned HHR as it is closest to the two places we are playing. Anyone have any good or bad comments on the airport? Its close to LAX. We’re planning to go to Hawthorne Hangar Ops. Thanks!
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected) - We were there a month ago and can’t say enough good things about Hawthorne Hanger Ops. Great service. C.A.A. pricing. Stayed late for us on a night time departure. You’ll see all the SpaceX hangers behind their operation. Follow the SpaceX departure closely when you take off.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 35 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks (Username Protected), the departure looks pretty straight forward.

Wondering, as well, coming from the East, if they bring you down early. Thinking about fuel planning.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Yes. They route you usually to PDZ VOR (if approaching from the East) and then start the decent just prior. You’ll be low from PRADO on in to HHR. About 30 miles below 8,000.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 35 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    About 30 miles below 8,000.
    Perfect, (Username Protected). Thanks for the intel. Happy Thanksgiving!
  6. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 39 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    I regularly fly a 300 out of HHR. All previous advice is correct. You almost always get the visual. The haze can make that difficult. The 105 fwy makes a bend that points you right towards the runway. Other than that, I always back it up with the RNAV. You be around 4000’ or so ft. by PDZ VOR. Pretty straightforward. The runway isn’t super long so just concentrate on getting her on the touchdown zone at book numbers. Have fun!
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 14 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Hey (Username Protected) just land at LAX and pull up to a gate at the United terminal. They will have a jetway waiting…LOL…

Have fun and post some pics…

-(Username Protected)
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 35 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    All, here's the report.

I was given route that included Palm Springs, then V16 to PDZ VOR. I was told to depart the PDZ VOR on a 270 heading and intercept the LOC 25. I think that might be the first time I've had to intercept a localizer since I got the NXI. I did ask if I could fly the RNAV and they said, NO!

I set up heading for departure from PDZ, pressed heading just as I arrived, had already dialed in the CDI for the LOC 25 and then pressed NAV. It intercepted perfectly. I know I could have faked it out with the FMS but I was enjoying this. Once I had intercepted, I was cleared for descent to 2600 and then cleared for the visual. I had the environment in sight - had really spent a bunch of time studying what it would look like - but I first thought the runway was the highway to the right - as I got a little closer, it became evident where the runway was!

There was no mistaking it for LAX. Great experience. It was a tad hazy but was not a factor.

Thanks everyone for the advice. (Username Protected) - United at LAX said they'd like to have a chat with you!