1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Flap Fail

Wanted to share a unique scenario that happened to me a few flights ago where on battery on, I was presented with a flap fail CAS plus a yellow indication on the MFD as seen below:

Name:  flapfailsmall.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  366.7 KB

As some of you may have found just like any kind of systems, sometimes a simple cycle of the batteries switches on and off and things clear themselves. This did not resolve the issue. While the batteries were on with this indication, I moved the flap lever to Flaps 1. Turned off the battery, and waited about 30 seconds, and turned the batteries back on. To my surprise the MFD indication was no longer yellow, however the CAS message persisted. In that exact same state, I moved the lever back to Flap 0 and the FLAP FAIL indication cleared and flaps were operational. The first time this happened I did not think much of it, but on a flight a few days later, the exact scenario came back. After talking with Embraer, it appears there is a start-up system test that is failing because of something going on with the expected timing for a task to be completed by the system. Here was a snip-it from Contact Center:

With the FLAP FAIL message active on CAS, get access to the CMC status page of the FLIGHT CTRLS - FLAP (ATA 27-53) (AMM TASK45-45-00-970-802-A), and check if the fault code observed in the FAULT CODE and MONITOR TRIPPED fields is Fault Code 23 – Brake Hold Monitor; Refer to the FIGURE 2 for further details.

NOTE: the information provided on the FAULT CODE and MONITOR TRIPPED is not related to the LH or RH side. The FSCU has two channels, Channel A and Channel B. Both channels must reflect the same FAULT CODE and FAULT DATA information.

RECOMMENDATION FOR AN AIRCRAFT EQUIPPED WITH THE FSCU PN 8025B0001-04

In case the fault code observed in the FAULT CODE and MONITOR TRIPPED fields is Fault Code 23 – Brake Hold Monitor, remove the FSCU PN 8025B0001-04 and install a FSCU PN 8025B0001-05 (AMM TASK 27-53-02).
    Elliott will be digging into my issue to confirm this, but all indications are that a test is taking longer than anticipated for whatever reason. I am not posting this to provide people a way avoid visiting a service center and I am not advocating that the system does not have some other type of lingering problem and that the system is fully operational. That's my disclaimer as my intent was to share what you could decide to do in the event this happens to you by surprise and potentially can avoid an AOG scenario and get to a place that can service it.

Hope this helps someone. I am aware of another 300 that has the exact same issue as me.
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I got the dreaded FLAP FAIL message this morning on my 100. Maintenance coming this afternoon, meanwhile my 6 day trip is on hold. Anyone know how to get to the CMC DIAGNOSTICS STATUS PAGE? I'd like to check and see if it is a Fault 23 (which I believe would require replacement of the FSCU). If I can get a jump on it, hopefully we could order the part today and get it by Monday.
  3. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    You need to boot the MFD up with the CMC file on the lower SD Card slot (this is different from the typical CMC data download we do). I can't get into myTechCare at the moment but it used to be available in the Downloads section.