1. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

Low Utilization Inspection

At 12 years, if you have not yet had an engine overhaul, Pratt forces you to do a low utilization inspection. You have no choice, it must happen at annual.

Unfortunately, JSSI has an exclusion for any repairs that are needed as a result of this borescope inspection. During the inspection, they found a small hole in my combustion liner. This is a $200,000 repair that JSSI says is not covered. Not because they question that the repair is not needed, but because the failure was discovered through a factory mandated repair that they chose to exclude.

I bought a used 100 which already had a JSSI contract. It would have been foolish for me not to continue on with contract, as the previous owner had already contributed for over 1800 hours, around $500,000. When you take over another contract, you take what’s in the contract, exclusions and all.

If you don’t fly on average of 291 hours per year, you will need an LUI at 12 years. If you have JSSI, and they have find problem, you are screwed.

My advice? Find a maintenance problem before they do this inspection which would require a borescope. I’m not smart enough to know what this might be, low oil pressure, high temps, etc.? If they discover it during maintenance, or at a hot section, it’s covered. If they find it during LUI, you are SOL.

While I think this exclusion is deceptive and wrong, I will say that they are paying 75% out of the “generosity” of their hearts. It’s still costing me $60,000 for what should be a covered repair.

Just a heads up.
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    FYI on the Phenom 300 (PW535) the Low Utilization Inspection start at 10 years, then every 2 years.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    And also excluded?
  4. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    And also excluded?
    I have ESP and I know the cost of the Inspection itself is excluded. I don't know about findings, their contract is headache inducing to parse through.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    It’s a license to steal!
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I’d ask. As you know, the inspection is the cheap part. I figured ECP would cover, since it’s a Pratt plan and a Pratt requirement to do it.
  7. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    I’d ask. As you know, the inspection is the cheap part. I figured ECP would cover, since it’s a Pratt plan and a Pratt requirement to do it.
    They classify it as a periodic inspection, like the 12mo inspections which are not covered either. If you step up to ESP Platinum (new in 2020), all periodic inspections including the LUI are covered (not sure on findings).
  8. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    When I was shopping for planes I was advised to avoid JSSI due to exactly stuff like this. Sorry this happened to you.
  9. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Check that the low utilization applies even if you've done a HSI within 10 years.
    I believe that is how PWC originally designed the maintenance program for the 615F which is very similiar.
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    In the past, P&W has offered significant discounts on cans during HSI and OH. I would try to get a recent quote for an HSI or OH and see if you can get P&W to play ball. The cans on the 615 and 617 haven't been performing well and P&W likes to replace them at HSI and OH.

Unfortunately, I have had to lawyer up on two recent P&W issues for two clients.

One of the items went in my cvor after a letter campaign. The other item is TBD.

If it's a PWC engine, it needs ESP. JSSI and PWC are not playing nice with each other.
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 10 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Just got an email from JSSI complaining about my post. Typically other owners would not be sharing information with vendors if they want honest feedback in a user group. Extremely bad form.
  12. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 34 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Yet another reason we’re upgrading to Platinum. The buy-in was low and the additional per hour is less than the cost of the annual inspections that will now be covered. We’ll be required a LUI if we still have the jet in 2 years.
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 27 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I recently did my low utilization inspection in the Phenom 100. The inspections weren't covered on ESP Gold. But one thing that surprised me was that my service center charged me for 100 gallons of fuel for the inspection (and apparently the inspection used more than 100!). Not a big deal in the scheme of inspection costs, but still surprised me that the inspection would use so much fuel, and I wish they would have asked so I could have bought contract fuel onsite. Did others need 100+ gallons for the inspection too?
  14. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Yep, they billed me for 116 gallons last year. Also, KIWA (Mesa) only has one fuel provider, so even a fuel release wouldn't have helped much.