1. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 51 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

Carry spare oil in nose/baggage?

I'm curious if I can carry a sealed can (quart) of Mobile Jet II in the nose compartment. The product specs say the "Operating range is -40c", but I'm wondering if it's a problem to fly around exposing it to colder temperatures (e.g. -60c) as long as it warms back up before we actually put it in the engine.

I doubt we'll ever use it, as preflights should catch declining oil levels with enough lead time to make sure can get oil at an FBO, but I think I want to carry this spare one incase we're ever at an airport without FBO services and somehow urgently in need of the oil.
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Hi (Username Protected),
    I recommend a 1L aluminum water bottle. It holds enough oil to top off both engines. The narrow bottle neck is easy to pour, no need for a funnel. The oil doesn't get very cold in the nose, plenty of elect(Username Protected)ics keeping things warm. Put the bottle in a heavy plastic ziplock bag or small plastic tote in case you forget to tighten the cap (ask me how I know).

Here is an amazon link to what I use. AmazonSmile : Laken Futura Aluminum Water Bottle - Narrow Mouth, Screw Cap with Loop - Leak-Proof, BPA Free, Made in Spain - 34 oz, Plain : Sports & Outdoors
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    The baggage compartment has a holder that specifically is the shape of 2 oil cans. At least mine does? I figured everyone keeps 2 oil cans in it ...
  4. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    The baggage compartment has a holder that specifically is the shape of 2 oil cans. At least mine does? I figured everyone keeps 2 oil cans in it ...
    Please post a pic.
  5. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    It is on the rear side of the aft baggage compartment, just inside the door. Fabric wrapped cover.
  6. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 51 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks (Username Protected) and (Username Protected)! And no concerns to your knowledge about exposing the oil in its can (or Phillip's water bottle method) to the cold temps at altitude?

On a separate line of curiosity - how cold do those baggage compartments get? Do they match OAT or stay warmer bc of exposure to the avionics (nose) or elect(Username Protected)ics bay (aft)? I put our a damp canvas windshield cover in there last week and all the water droplets were ice when I landed. I may have to get one of those wireless thermometers to collect some data
  7. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I suggest a 1L MSR Liquid Fuel Bottle. Plastic cap is safe with petroleum and it has proper warnings as hazmat, flammable, etc. , https://www.amazon.com/MSR-Liquid-Fu...pt=BOTTLE&th=1

MSR Liquid Fuel Bottle

8. Username Protected

Thanked 32 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    The nose gets pretty chilly (I know, very scientific). I just let the oil cans ride in the dedicated oil can cubby in the aft baggage. Basically the f(Username Protected)t will go below freezing at altitude and the aft baggage usually stays above freezing. There aren't as much avionics up f(Username Protected)t as you're thinking.
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 29 times
    Other Services Provider
    Hi (Username Protected),
    Here's that oil can storage location in the aft bag compt. Many have stains on the wall below the location from storage of open cans. I've seen a number of people empty open cans into metal water bottles and store them in plastic bins. Although it gets very cold in the FWD bag compt, there are components like a PDU up f(Username Protected)t and I don't believe the compartment cold soaks to outside air temps.

Name:  IMG_1754 (1).jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  99.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1757 (1).jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  48.6 KB
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I see the bottles the others posted, I prefer this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It has a long spout so it makes pouring easy. I've kept this along with a spare can (and can opener) in the nose of my two 100s for 11 years.
  11. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 39 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Personally, I’m not a fan of the secondary container for oil. I know it’s done safely and cleanly, but I have seen more than a few Phenoms with oil stains in the baggage compartments. My technique is to utilize the cubby in the aft baggage designed for two unopened cans and then, when needed, split a quart between the engines. No mess, no fuss.
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I utilize a tightly packed leather duffel bag to hold everything including a roll of blue paper towels. I keep all of this in the nose compartment so that it's in a small space and doesn't move around. I've never had a problem except for once after maintenance when the crew just threw everything back in there and the ferry pilot didn't notice. In that case I just tossed the duffel and replaced it, the nose area was fine.
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    For the last three years, I have always carried several quarts of oil as well as two Gatorade bottles filled with oil in the nose compartment and have had zero issues. The Gatorade bottles make it so I don’t need a funnel to add oil to the engines.
  14. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I have carried spare oil as long as I have been flying. I carry a small ladder, a funnel from Sportys with the screw on caps and 3 or 4 quarts of oil. It does not matter if the oil is in the nose or in a heated compartment. It is often enough that an FBO is out of the specific oil or too busy to bring a ladder. (Username Protected)
  15. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Phenom Pilot
    I keep a one liter metal water bottle filled with oil and a can opener in the nose just like other people have suggested. I keep two unopened cans in the aft baggage oil can storage location. Since 2014 ,700 plus hours in the 100 , lots of coast to coast trips, this has always worked beautifully. I have yet had to add more than that while on a trip away from home. Usually the 1 liter bottle will suffice without having to open a can on the road.

The oil getting cold in the nose compartment is not an issue , the limitation applies to starting/operating the engine. I know of nothing about the storage of oil temp limits. My experience is that the oil in the nose or aft baggage will not freeze. I have taken many high altitude flights over many years and for hours at a time. In an effort to answer passengers questions about the temperature of items in their luggage, I have tested many aircraft by putting water bottles in the nose compartment as well as aft baggage and I have yet to have one totally freeze on me. We just aren’t typically up there that long. 3 hrs max.

In 1998 I used to fly BE1900D in ND in the winter time for United Express. Sometimes the next morning it was so cold the tires would be frozen and stuck to the ground. We had to gently rock the aircraft and put it in a hanger so that we could meet the operating temperature to start the aircraft. We always kept a spare quart of oil onboard. Lessons learned from a coastal N.C. boy. ?
  16. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Researching Phenom 100
    A coffee thermos for the oil (and folding step stool) work well.
  17. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Talking about ladders, I use this for servicing oil. Super light weight at 4.6 lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DPVAPO

Name:  71mY+Gy25pL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  40.4 KB
  18. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I am familiar with the oil can holder in the rear baggage; I thought you all were referring to one in the f(Username Protected)t baggage.

I've had oil cans fall out of that storage location and the cover tends to fall open. Besides, pouring oil out of a can is a royal PIA!

Never had an issue with "cold" oil in the nose baggage.
  19. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Phenom Pilot
    I too have had the oil cover come open during a hard braking/short field landing. We had the heavy duty hook and loop/Velcro replaced over three years ago during a maintenance event and I have not had an issue since. I only use the cans to refill the 1 L bottle. Works great. No spills no mess. ?
  20. Username Protected

Thanked 27 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I bought this 18” step stool. It fits in the nose compartment and weighs 3.5 pounds:

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...gQIARA-&adurl=
  21. Username Protected

Thanked 15 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Some people were asking about how cold the baggage compartments are. I remember a post back in EJOA form from Keith Masserang from about a year ago when he studied the issue. Hopefully it's OK for me to repost his work.

[/COLOR]Name:  FwdBaggage.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  82.5 KB
    Name:  AftBaggage.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  73.3 KB