1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

Anti-skid fail cas message

Has anyone that installed the BCU-08 received intermittent ANTI-SKID FAIL CAS messages.
    There appears to be no pattern as to when they arise.
    Embraer is aware of the problem and believes it may not be an actual fault since it isn't appearing on CMC.
    Please share any feedback if you're having the issue.
    Thank you
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Well, I've had one actual ANTI-SKID FAIL that absolutely was a real failure. I know because I stupidly tried to brake anyway and immediately blew a tire. I wrote about this in another post.

In addition to that, several of us have reported random BRAKE FAIL and ANTI SKID FAIL right at engine start which then immediately clears. These don't seem to be real failures.
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected),
    which Brake Control Unit, BCU, did it happen with, I know you have -08 now.
    did you post it to phenompilots.org? Not seeing it.
    thank you
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 51 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    With BCU-8 I’ve been getting intermittent BRAKE FAIL, on maybe 20% of startups. I think it’s random, but I’m maybe noticing a trend of it happening after engine start right after GPU disconnected. Stays on for no more than 3 seconds. ANTI-SKID FAIL has happened less frequently (5% of startups?) but the timing seems to be even more random. The most concerning was several minutes after startup on a taxi roll and it did not disappear until I pulled into a run up to shutdown and restart. Embraer said to ‘check the wiring connection’, so I’ll do that at the next service, but that seemed like a low confidence answer and so far I can live with the messages as long as they continue to disappear. It does show up in CMC logs but they said it is ‘not connected to an event’ which I think means is not correlated with any other faults or supporting data. I’ll monitor closely for a month and update here if I notice any more trends.
  5. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), I might have posted it in the Facebook group. Anyway, yeah, on my 2nd flight after installing the BCU-8 I got a real ANTI-SKID FAIL that appeared in the air after the departure roll. Diverted to an airport with a long runway and a service center on the field and my plan was to let the plane slow down considerably before applying brakes, figuring that the BCU would do the right thing. Did that and managed to blow a tire anyway. In retrospect, I obviously should have used the emergency brake instead of trying to touch the pedals at all. Lesson learned.

I suspect that was due to my first BCU-8 being based on "inspected" returned bad BCU-7 hardware where the failure wasn't detected on a bench test and the unit was returned to service as a BCU-8.

And yes, my other issues are similar to (Username Protected)'s.
  6. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thank you (Username Protected), very much appreciated.
  7. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thank you (Username Protected). We get the brake fail that flashes and then goes out. Brakes are always fine.
    i don't think the emergency brakes would have done anything for you that the light braking wouldn't do.
    I'm considering going back to -06 if possible.
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 35 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Since BCU-08, I get an anti skid fail cas message on nearly every startup. Lasts about two seconds and then disappears. Brakes are working fine.
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I get the break fail CAS on nearly every startup right after engine start and the gen kicks on. It’s very consistent for about 3 seconds then goes away an everything is normal.
  10. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Embraer issued a Service Letter related to the issue basically saying if messages extinguish 30 seconds it's not a concern and stay with BCU-08SL500-32-0014_1637548543380.PDF
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 13 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    What I heard from the maintenance that BCU-8 shouldn't be installed if you don't have NXi. I understand that BCU is a separate computer and not sure how they connected, but they say that g1000 doesn't have enough power to handle it.

After that I heard that many people have problems with BCU-8 even with NXi. It's probably too early to switch.
  12. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    This doesn't make sense to me. Other than the spurious CAS messages described in the service letter, BCU-8 works fine. IMO, it is a big upgrade over BCU-7.

The Service Letter above specifically says despite this possible situation, Embraer recommends that the operators install the BCU-8 because itcontains fixes and improvements. Refer to the SB for more details.
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I've got the BCU-08 and the NXi. The BCU-08 does throw out a brake fail CAS message (for 2 seconds) right after the engine start and the generator goes on. The braking with the BCU-08 works much better than the BCU-07 and have no more 'shuffle' when hard braking after landing. I had to unlearn my shuffle compensation from before. Also, that first second or so of braking seems a bit more light but the the remainder of the braking seems much more effective. Solid improvement in overall braking in my opinion and glad I've got it.
  14. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I don't see the connection...but there are stranger things.
    i would suggest upgrading to NXi. it's excellent value for the money and comforting to be flying at 41k with new computers and screens