1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

N-Number Blocking - LADD vs PIA

I am considering blocking my tail number and have looked into the various methods/levels. From what I can tell there are three levels of privacy/security with two options for the least secure method. I am curious if any of you all block your tail number and/or ICAO code and what method you employed as well as your reason for doing so.

Here is my quick synopsis of the various ways of adding privacy:

The 1st least secure option is the fake N-number/Call Sign. Foreflight and Fltplan offer N-number privacy by providing a temporary random call sign, FFLxxxx or DOTCOMxxxx; which, you must plug into your transponder flight ID field. With Foreflight you must have the Performance level package. I wasn't able to tell if FLTPLAN charges a fee for the basic service. They do charge a fee for Subscriber level N-number tracking via the LADD program (below). I don't think you need to have the FAA-LADD program (below) to use the fake N-number service.

The 2nd least secure option is the FAA LADD (Limited Aircraft Data Display) program, formerly known as BARR, which blocks your N-number but does not protect your ADS-B broadcast ICAO (hex) address. The LADD program has two options, Subscriber and Source. The Subscriber level is basically a 'do not track' list and relies on the various tracking sites to not publish enrolled N-number data. With this low-level blocking you can request specific tracking sites (e.g. Fltplan) to allow authorized individuals to see the tracking data for a fee; Fltplan charges $15/month for 10 aircraft.

The next level of security/privacy is the LADD-Source program which blocks N-data from being transmitted to the various tracking sites. Hence, there is no option to allow selective tracking. Again, this does not protect your ADS-B broadcast ICAO (hex) address.

The LADD program only works in the USA. It does not require you to alter your transponder ICAO code. You do not have to update your Flight ID each flight unless you combine LADD with a fake call sign. In the end your ICAO code and the flight information is still traceable in the governments database. A suitably equipped person can also see your code and track your flight manually.

The most secure method is the FAA PIA program (Private ICAO Address). This program requires a 3rd party to provide a 'fake' call sign (see above) combined with a unique ICAO code supposedly not traceable to your aircraft registration. This method requires having your transponder's hex code changed to the untraceable ICAO code. Each flight you will also have to update the Flight ID as assigned by the fake N-number provider, e.g. DOTCOM1234. You cannot use the PIA program when flying outside of CONUS. If you plan to fly outside of CONUS you must re-program your ICAO code to the original.

I've flown a number of Veteran's Air Wing and Mercy flights and having a different call sign is a pain in the butt. I miss radio calls and use the wrong call sign. So for me the fake N-number method #1 is not an option. Professional crews who are used to unique call signs and who fly different aircraft routinely probably don't have as much of an issue with this option.

For me the LADD program is the easiest; same ICAO code and same Flight ID (tail number). I'd like to know just how effective the Subscriber level really is in protecting privacy from prying eyes, in particular local or state level governments. I'd go with the PIA but that just seems likely to be a bigger PIA then its worth. Nice choice of acronyms by the FAA; you think that was accidental?

Sorry for the long post. Please private message me if you don't want your reason to be public.
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    So this topic landed with a THUD..

For what its worth I decided to block using the LADD - Source program. The form is very simple and it activated (blocked) within a couple days.