1. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Phenom Webinar - Tom Norton on Stabilized Approaches - Sep 23, 2021 07:00 PM ET

Phenom Pilots are excited to announce our first webinar!

Name:  fuel2.jpg
Views: 2975
Size:  267.4 KB

In light of continued runway excursions (Phenom 300 Elk River, Phenom 100 at Craig), Tom Norton from Norton Aviation (Phenom DPE) will host a refresher on Stabilized Approaches on Sep 23, 2021 07:00 PM ET.

Watch replay:

The webinar is free to Phenom Pilots members. If you join us live on the 23rd you can participate in the interactive QA following the presentation; the webinar will be record for replay afterwards.
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    This is wonderful! Thanks for getting this setup.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 13 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Non-Pilot
    Very proactive of you (Username Protected)! I hope to see a strong attendance.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected),

I agree with reiterating the importance of stabilized approaches, however I believe there should be emphasis added to this Webinar in regards to how the non conventional (electrical) Phenom braking systems work.

As pilots we are familiar with stabilized approaches regardless of what type of aircraft operated, however so many pilots are not familiar enough or understand how the electronic Phenom brake systems work. CAE tries to teach this in the SIM however the actual sensations a pilot will experience on a wet or contaminated runway in a Phenom product is far from the sim experience or of an aircraft with a conventional brake system.

I also believe adding some literature and training on the difference between un-factored and 60-80% factored landing distances is important. Many owner/pilots utilize unfactored numbers and on a wet or contaminated runway you are setup for failure.

In my opinion, Embraer should not post or provide unfactored landing distances for wet runway operations. Our Embraer fleet fly's roughly 15,000 hours per year and we only utilize factored landing distances. We however find that flight crews, no matter how experienced, report that any abnormally (such as water pockets or crack sealer) on a wet runway, significantly increases the stopping distance which is not necessarily accounted for in the factored landing distances.

Very few runways are in perfect condition and these unknown variables and lack of understanding the brake system seem to be what cause the majority of the Phenom overruns.
  5. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected) - Thanks for the feedback will make sure Tom addresses the brakes.
  6. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Looks like I'll be in the air during this webinar, but I look forward to watching the replay. Thanks Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    CAE tries to teach this in the SIM however the actual sensations a pilot will experience on a wet or contaminated runway in a Phenom product is far from the sim experience or of an aircraft with a conventional brake system.
    For sure. I didn't get to experience this at all until maybe 100 or so hours after getting my type rating, and it definitely gets your attention.
  7. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Thank you to Tom Norton for an excellent presentation and thank you to all 50+ live attendees that took the time to join us for the 1st Phenom Pilots webinar!

8. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Since he mentioned KSEZ in the presentation, I figured I'd bring this up because I posted this recently on COPA about KSEZ. If you find yourself using Runway 21 for landing, it's because you have at least a 10kt headwind, otherwise you'd be using Runway 3, which has an upslope rather than a downslope. But note that the AFD says this about runway 21:

WHEN LANDING RWY 21, DURING STRONG SW WIND CONDITIONS, STRONG DOWN DRAFTS ARE VERY PROBABLE NE OF APCH END OF RWY 21.

Most likely due to the terrain feature pictured here:

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 7.32.23 AM.png
Views: 2619
Size:  1.42 MB

I personally had a very scary experience in the Eclipse jet landing Runway 21 where I lost a ton of speed/altitude on short final runway 21 due to this phenomenon. Thankfully I had read this note in the A/FD ahead of time and was carrying extra speed, but I still got STALL STALL on short final and touched down way closer to the numbers than I would have liked. It was the most aggressive wind shear I had ever experienced.

Based on this, I think I'd want to be carrying that extra speed and/or altitude that we were judging the Jetsuite pilots for.

Is the answer really to just avoid KSEZ entirely if the winds are favoring Runway 21? That's pretty much the conclusion I'm coming to, which is sad because it's one of my favorite daytrips.
  9. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks Tom, had a chance to watch the rerun this morning.

A few years ago Neil did a presentation, I think it was at a Phenom conference, about runway overrun and the importance of knowing the runway construction: concrete, asphalt, grooved, ungrooved, etc. It was an excellent presentation and we should see if we can have him provide this to the PhenomPilots site. The takeaway is wet ungrooved concrete needs lots of margin.

Regarding the Vapp. I'm with you that I don't bug this number. I find the FLTPLAN app, TOOLS menu, Airport Winds tool very useful. This tool provides an adjusted VRef based on headwind and gust. I use this adjusted VRef as my Vapp.

Lastly, I'm new to the P300 and getting used to the brakes. Is there a good technique for the P300 brakes to prevent the sudden rapid deceleration that occurs around 70 KIAS? This event doesn't exist on the P100.
  10. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 77 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Lastly, I'm new to the P300 and getting used to the brakes. Is there a good technique for the P300 brakes to prevent the sudden rapid deceleration that occurs around 70 KIAS? This event doesn't exist on the P100.
    I know you and others know this, but that is all because of the carbon breaks. I would like to hear if others have a different technique, but seems like that is just the nature of the beast if you are trying to use maximum breaking. Otherwise if you have a really long runway, you can make the decision to just be more moderate on the breaking to avoid that.
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Hi (Username Protected),

Excellent webinar. Thanks for setting it up. Pass along my appreciation to Tom as well.

Tailwinds, (Username Protected)
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 13 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Just have watched recorded. (Username Protected) thank you for organising such a great event. Tom, thank you for sharing great information.
    Looking forward for new series ...

The topic I hope to see one day: Phenom systems for pilots. More detailed than standard type-rating course.
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 13 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks Tom, had a chance to watch the rerun this morning.

A few years ago Neil did a presentation, I think it was at a Phenom conference, about runway overrun and the importance of knowing the runway construction: concrete, asphalt, grooved, ungrooved, etc. It was an excellent presentation and we should see if we can have him provide this to the PhenomPilots site. The takeaway is wet ungrooved concrete needs lots of margin.
    This presentation is in one of the videos on this site:
    https://www.citatio(Username Protected)etpilots.com/safety/videos

I don't remember which one .. but actually all the videos there are great in my opinion
  14. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Yes the “factored wet” is the demon here for sure. Great webinar. I also believe that on short approaches of any kind we need to “plant the wheels” on those rather than grease the landings especially when wet.
  15. Username Protected

Thanked 15 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    Tom. Thank you!!
  16. Username Protected

Thanked 27 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I couldn't make the original webcast, but I thoroughly e(Username Protected)oyed the rebroadcast! That was fantastic. Thank you very much, Tom and (Username Protected).

Random thought on landing configuration — I wonder if it is useful to have a (Username Protected)er of some kind to remember whether you used flaps 3 or flaps 4 landing speeds so you don't inadvertently fly flaps 3 when you calculated flaps 4. Maybe that's a good use for the Vapp bug. For example, bug 203 for flaps 3 and 204 for flaps 4? Then the bug doesn't show on the tape, but when you confirm configuration and speeds at your stabilized altitude, you can see in your window exactly which flap setting those V-speeds apply to.
  17. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Phenom Pro Pilot
    Great video ! Thanks a lot for that !