1. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

PTRIM BKP FAIL message on Phenom 100

On startup yesterday I had a PTRIM BKP FAIL message in the CAS. It did not appear to be a no-go item so I departed as usual

Then, in my descent into KBZN I received a FLAP FAIL message on my base leg. The flaps were somewhere in between 3 and 4 when the message was received. Based on where the donut was on my airspeed tape, I figured it was closer to the Flaps 3 setting so I knew I was fine for the landing.

Upon landing, I cycled the flaps and they worked normally and the FLAP FAIL message disappeared. The PTRIM BKP FAIL message remained.

Anyone else run into this problem, and what was the fix?
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    On startup yesterday I had a PTRIM BKP FAIL message in the CAS. It did not appear to be a no-go item so I departed as usual
    Thanks for sharing. I don't have a solution but I recommend that you treat any CAS message on the ground that doesn't clear on a power cycle as a NO DISPATCH item unless the MEL has an allowance (the latest Phenom 300 POH has a section on GROUND RESETS 5-55, the P100 may have the same).

You probably came the conclusion of the go status by following the QRA (been there!), but QRA only applies in flight (per the QRA there are no further actions to be taken unless you also see PTRIM NML FAIL).

On the ground however, if you look at the MINIMUM EQUIPMENT LIST (MEL) GUIDE under CAS MESSAGE LIST, PTRIM BKP FAIL is a NO DISPATCH condition.

On the P100 the Backup Trim is controlled by TAC 2 (Trim Actuator Controller) and the flaps by the FSCU (Flap System Control Unit) so there shouldn't be much interaction between the two, unlike the P300 where the FCE (Flight Control Elect(Username Protected)ics) controls both Flaps and Trim.
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I can help you on your first problem It's related to testing your trim too quickly and there's a FOL (Flight Operations Letter) about it. Essentially what you need to do is wait 3 seconds after you flip the backup trim switch before changing the trim and then I wait 3 seconds after flipping the backup trim switch off before moving any trim adjustments. FOL PHE500-009/15

FOL PHE500-009:15.PDF

Took me a while to figure that one out!
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 15 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Yep, that has caught me before too. Required a complete electrical shut down to clear once it's tripped. I give it a four count in my head between testing the normal trim and flipping the switch and again on the way back and it has never shown up since then.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks for the help guys! Shutting down the aircraft and restarting everything cleared the message. As a test I ran both the normal and backup trims to the stops in both directions, and everything is working perfectly. Same with the flaps.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Hi Guys,
    On the Phenom 300 the FCE 1 (Flight Control Electrical) controls the flaps and the pitch trim backup.
    We had both the FCE1 and FCE2 (controls normal pitch trim and spoilers) go out on us on different flights.
    Worth checking before your next flight.
    (Username Protected)