1. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Garmin 3000 Upgrade

Does anyone know anything about G3000 updates/upgrades? I have 2016 P300 with G3000 and at this point, my Cirrus avionics are more sophisticated. I've been in the 300E sim at CAE and am impressed with the G3000 update/upgrade. Is there an easy path for me to update my avionics? I've never been contacted by Embraer about an available update to my G3000 and there seems to be no discussion about it at EJOA. Actually, there is no discussion about anything on that website!

(Username Protected)
    N858EE
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected),

In October last year Embraer wrote this in the QA following their virtual TechCare session:

Can you give us any idea about when new load for G3000 might be available for the fleet?
    We know how important it is for the customers to update their avionics suite and include the latest and greatest features, this load update is on our road map right now. Unfortunately, we don't have the date yet for this service bulletin to be released but we will inform everyone as soon as we do.

I haven't seen anything since then, but I assume we will get an update at the Techcare Event in October. As you may have seen over at CJP, Textron/Garmin recently released V4.8 for the CJ3+ that added lots of functionality to the old hardware. They are are also selling the new G3000 hardware (faster processors) but that doesn't seem to be a popular option.
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 123 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    (Username Protected)-

I'm not totally sure I understand the scope of your question, in terms of if you're talking about hardware or software, so I'll try to answer both.

There have been several software upgrades to the G3000 in the P300 since 2016. The most recent ACFOG lists 7 major versions of the G3000 software since it was first installed. So first check might be which version you're running, and if it's the latest.

The 300E sim probably impressed because the hardware is newer with much faster processors, so I'm guessing this is what you mean? As (Username Protected) mentioned the upgrade in the CJ3+ to the faster hardware hasn't received a lot of traction. Price is a big part of it- I think it pushes $200K, but I'm not at all confident about that number.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Researching Phenom 300
    (Username Protected) - the 300E w/3305 software included a number of physical user interface changes related to the FMS - mostly removal of panels or buttons (CVDR panel, TAWS override, HF and SELCAL) and the addition of a selector on the AFCS panel to allow manual setting of the speed bug via the speed knob while in VNAV mode. In addition to the Garmin display and processor changes, there are probably numerous behind-the-panel hardware changes, too. I think these extensive changes, plus a suspect business case, make it unlikely that the 3305 software will be "ported" to the older 300s.

(Username Protected)
  5. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 123 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    (Username Protected)-

Yes, agreed, I have been flying a 300E since they were delivered and I agree that making all the changes might not be cost effective, but as I think you pointed out, you could certainly leave some of the physical controls in place, and perhaps just change the AP control panel.

But what is a fact is that earlier this year Textron released many of the features we are discussing to the CJ3+/ M2, even older planes with "Gen 1" G3000 hardware. They also offered an option (near $200K I think) to replace the hardware. If you've flown the pre-300E G3000 and the newer version, you know how much faster the processing is, which is why some pilots are calling it the "G3000 NXi" version...

I would be surprised if Embraer doesn't make most of the features available without a hardware change given that Textron is.