1. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

Phenom 300 NXI / TCAS in TA/RA on ground after start?

On my last couple flights, my the TCAS on my G1000 NXI is suddenly starting up in TA/RA mode on the ground and giving traffic alerts while parked.
    Oddly this was not the case after the install was originally done in April, it just started happening in the last couple weeks.
    I recall reading a forum post (here or elsewhere) with someone else reporting a similar problem, but for the life of me I can't find it.
    I'll ask the SC about it when my annual is done next month, but figured I'd post in case whoever else was seeing this issue found a cause/resolution.
  2. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    My 100EV has done the same since new. I'd be interested to hear what you find out!
  3. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected),

This occurs sporadically for me with NXi as well. Have not figured out the logic yet. In the beginning I had another issue where it wouldn't au(Username Protected)atically sequence from TA to TA/RA once airborne, but I haven't seen that in a while.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 11 times
    Phenom Pilot
    We’ve had this happen a couple of times too. Garminism I guess.
  5. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I received an e-mail from (Username Protected) Schuh at Embraer with some gui(Username Protected)ce on the issue passed on from Garmin. It was directed at G3000 users, but seems like it may apply here. I'm not going to post the full details as it may be considered confidential, but in short it sounds like the radar altimeter can be confused on the ground by reflections or calibration issues at times. If it registered 1000ft agl at any point, the system au(Username Protected)atically switches to TA/RA mode.
    The gui(Username Protected)ce provided a few suggested troubleshooting steps for a SC, but didn't feel like anything definitively fixable, especially if it doesn't happen every time you start (it hasn't happened on my last two trips).
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot

TCAS callouts on ground.

Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    I received an e-mail from (Username Protected) Schuh at Embraer with some gui(Username Protected)ce on the issue passed on from Garmin. It was directed at G3000 users, but seems like it may apply here. I'm not going to post the full details as it may be considered confidential, but in short it sounds like the radar altimeter can be confused on the ground by reflections or calibration issues at times. If it registered 1000ft agl at any point, the system au(Username Protected)atically switches to TA/RA mode.
    The gui(Username Protected)ce provided a few suggested troubleshooting steps for a SC, but didn't feel like anything definitively fixable, especially if it doesn't happen every time you start (it hasn't happened on my last two trips).
    (Username Protected), did you ever post the suggested fix from Embraer? The TCAS warnings are very annoying during setup. Is there a particular FL area avionics shop that has experience dealing with this gremlin? Thank you.
  7. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    On my 100EV, G3000, we replaced the Radar Altimeter and that solved it.
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    It's the Radar Altimeter not initializing properly. When this occurs, you'll notice there is no Radar Altimeter altitude on the PFD. Nxi uses that to determine if the plane is on the ground (and then silence the TCAS Warnings). It happens randomly. When this happens, I just manually put TCAS into standby mode while getting ready and then enable it on taxi.
  9. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    It's the Radar Altimeter not initializing properly. When this occurs, you'll notice there is no Radar Altimeter altitude on the PFD. Nxi uses that to determine if the plane is on the ground (and then silence the TCAS Warnings). It happens randomly. When this happens, I just manually put TCAS into standby mode while getting ready and then enable it on taxi.
    Thanks that explains why it is random. I wonder if Garmin can add additional ground/air logic (airspeed, WOW etc) to make it more consistent. Will drop Joey Ferreyra an email.
  10. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Yea, I've noticed it fairly consistently in certain places, for example in the taxiway between two hangars when starting... the RA will often show something like 500ft until I start moving... then drop to zero (which is kind of odd.... having it count down 400...200..100... 40... 10... as you start to taxi).
    So far it's been nothing but a minor annoyance. RA seems to work fine otherwise. I'll probably wait to see if we have to do a RA replacement due to 5G anyway before worrying about it.
  11. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Garmin has asked me if we can get a video recording of the PFD with the RA issue occurring on the ground. I am going to try to capture it the next time it happens to me, but if you manage to record it share with me. Thanks!
  12. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    I have videos (Username Protected). I sent them to Garmin in February of 2021. Send me your email and I'll send them to you.

(Username Protected)
  13. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 73 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Garmin has asked me if we can get a video recording of the PFD with the RA issue occurring on the ground. I am going to try to capture it the next time it happens to me, but if you manage to record it share with me. Thanks!
    No video, but here are some pics showing the RA reading off shortly after power on, on the ground.
    Name:  PXL_20220408_223011111.jpg
Views: 2097
Size:  3.29 MBName:  PXL_20220429_174018685.jpg
Views: 1937
Size:  2.38 MB
  14. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Phenom Pilot
    We have had similar, if not the same issues with our NXi upgrade and have been in contact with Garmin regarding such. They suggesting doing the calibration/testing Service Letter on the Radar Altimeter. We did the SL and it tested normal. Now they want to point to other possible reasons. The fact remains that a LOT of Phenoms that upgraded from G1000 to NXi are having the same issue. I believe the startup doesn’t give the Radar Altimeter enough time to zero. The slower processing speeds of the G1000 gave it enough time. We’ve essentially added (to our checklist) putting the transponder in the proper mode (manually via soft keys) for each phase of startup/flight. The fact that the test bed aircraft for the NXi has the same issue tells me that Garmin either doesn’t communicate internally or truly believes each of these aircraft, or their existing systems are to blame rather than the NXi. The former is the only plausible answer.
  15. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    FYI I checked in with Garmin today about a resolution for the TCAS issue and they are still in the investigation phase. Will keep checking in with them once a quarter until we get a resolution.
  16. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Garmin finally acknowledge this issue and will be fixed in 2024.

Name:  IMG_3066.jpeg
Views: 1530
Size:  1.56 MB
    Attachments Attachments