1. Username Protected

Thanked 11 times
    Researching Phenom 100

First Experience with Embraer Maintenance Issues

I am not sure if this is for Phenom Flying or for Maintenance, but either way I thought it was worth sharing. If it is posted in the wrong place, the moderators should feel free to move it!

After four months in the airplane and about 100 hours, I had my first mechanical issue that left me AOG on Sunday. I was preparing to take my family from FLL to HKY and upon power up, I had a flap fail. After multiple attempts to trouble shoot, it became clear that it was a real flap fail.

I called Embraer AOG service and they answered right away. They offered to send out a team to perform a download, but before they did that, they checked to see if they had the parts that were the likely culprits in stock. They did not and wouldn’t be able to get any until Tuesday morning, so it made no sense to send out a team, which saved me the cost of doing so.

My airplane was sent to the Embraer Service Center on Monday morning, the failed flap control unit was confirmed and the part, which was covered by EEC Standard, was ordered. It was received on Tuesday morning, installed and I am about to do my reschedule flight to HKY.

I have to say that I am impressed with the excellent response, service and turnaround time that I saw. Despite the AOG, it really made me feel great about my decision to purchase the Phenom 100!

(Username Protected)
    N685AS
  2. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Maintenance Provider
    Thanks for sharing your experience (Username Protected). It not only helps other owners and operators but maintenance technicians as my self who although not new to business aviation, is learning to love and appreciate the Phenoms. If ever have any AOG situation be sure to contact me I’d love to help.
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Aircraft Broker
    Hopefully the new Flap Control unit due out soon will resolve the flap fail issues that have been showing up more frequent for the last 2 years.
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I had the new flap control unit (FSCU PN 8025B0001-05) installed by Eagle Creek about 4 weeks ago and have had no flap fails since.
  5. Username Protected

Thanked 8 times
    Maintenance Provider
    All,

as reminder from a maintenance point of view , it is always good practice to make sure your MRO does a wiring check of the system affected if applicable. In the case of a “FLAP FAIL” or “FLAP NOT AVAIL” CAS message. It is troubleshooting practice per AMM to check the wiring for any faults (continuity) before replacing an electronic component , in this case an FSCU. True, Embraer did come up with a later version of The FCSU with an updated software version 5.0. Make sure you get the -05 FSCU as (Username Protected) mentioned.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I'm AOG in KPHX with a Flap Fail message. Rebooting hasn't helped. Uploaded the CAS_CMC file to Embraer support but nothing yet.
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 17 times
    Aircraft Broker
    Looks like you had a flap calibration fail, with a GIA2 HSDB fail.
  8. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Anything I can do to clear it? Westar is the only one that can get to it - 8am tomorrow.
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 44 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    West Star has concluded it must be a failed FSCU, so we have the new one coming tomorrow (the updated one PN 8025B0001-05 to replace my -04) so hopefully that will take care of it. We were unable to clear the CAS Flap Fail message using any method. But thanks to all the people who tried to help me clear it including (Username Protected) (Username Protected) and Chris Grinnell!
  10. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Interesting that you ended up with West Star instead of Embraer out of their KIWA base. Did you try them and they were unable to help?