Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

P100 - SB500-2-0019 - BCU 08 New Brake Control Unit for P100

Update, BCU -07 has been superseded by -08
    The most current service bulletin is attached.
    Apparently, -07 wasn't well received.
    Hope this helps.
    Attachments Attachments
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Wow I had not heard of the BCU8, thanks (Username Protected). I miss the TechCare newsletter that came out once a quarter, it was very informative for SB updates.

Note that all BCU replacement, including this one, are done on Embraer's dime as long as done during the SB campaign period.

(1) WARRANTY COVERAGE

(a) Parts
    The BCU-8 will be provided at no charge.

(b) Labor
    Embraer will compensate for customers under warranty coverage 2.5 man-hours for the SB incorporation if it is performed at an Embraer-authorized service center.

(c) Expiration
    The terms expressed in the warranty coverage will be valid for 36 months after the SB issue date (Apr 23, 2021)
  3. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I have BCU 6 on my PHenom 100. Will they do 8 upgrade as part of this program, as previous owner didn't do 7 upgrade.
  4. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by (Username Protected) View Post
    I have BCU 6 on my PHenom 100. Will they do 8 upgrade as part of this program, as previous owner didn't do 7 upgrade.
    They should, let us know if you hear otherwise.
  5. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    We are checking that right now. We are in same situation and BCU 6.
  6. Username Protected

Thanked 28 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I had BCU-7 and all costs were covered to go to BCU-8. BCU-6 or older costs are not covered from what I understand.

When I upgraded from BCU-6 to BCU-7, I had to pay.
  7. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 62 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (post removed)
  8. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    How do I find out what BCU version I have installed?
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 5 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Several years ago Phenom 100 owners complained about the aircraft's handling characteristics during gusty c(Username Protected)wind landings and the ease with which pilot induced oscillations (PIO) got started in yaw and roll. Two of us flew to Brazil and demonstrated this in Embraer's heavily-instrumented serial number one. It is typical for a pilot to work the rudder pedals back and forth to compensate for varying c(Username Protected)wind conditions during landing rollout. The problem arises if the pilot is on and off the brakes during this time.

It starts this way: The upwind wing is down, and that main wheel being firmly on the runway has greater braking effectiveness... the plane starts to turn into the wind. The pilot may release the brakes and the plane yaws and rolls in the downwind direction. The cycle repeats when the brakes are reapplied with the other wing low. Any time delay as the brake computer measures brake pedal angle, computes and re-computes braking pressure exacerbates the problem. Over the years Embraer has made several changes in the pedal angle versus brake pressure curve. It rises steeply at first but flattens out at the high end.

My sense is BCU 7 did not improve the situation much. The work-around is this. Put on your ballet slippers and learn to stay on the brakes evenly while modulating the rudder pedals back and forth during a gusty c(Username Protected)wind landing. Don't pump the brakes.
  10. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    How do I find out what BCU version I have installed?
    Easiest would be to look in your MX tracking tool (CAMP, Traxall etc). Search for BCU or Brake Control Unit. This is version 10 on my P300 but should look similar.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 10.43.39.jpg
Views: 2608
Size:  23.0 KB
  11. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I picked up my plane from Mesa today with the new BCU-8. I experienced a lot of weird directional issues with braking before and I'll be really curious to see if that improves. I'll post back some thoughts after I've done several more flights. Anecdotally, the braking action seems much smoother on the landing rollout than before, but that could just be because I'm paying super close attention.
  12. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot

Bcu-08

Let me start by saying our technique for landing the P100 (-06) with the least amount of Phenom Shuffle, is to land….pause, let the plane settle down, then brake hard with significant forward yoke to get maximum directional control and lose lift keeping significant pressure always on both rudders. Stay on the center of the center line. If the tires hit the paint ABS comes on and/or plane then veers to side with effective brakes. The pause makes a big difference vs. other jets I’ve flown, were the wheels spin up and then do their thing with no drama.
    It appears what they did with the -08 is put the “pause” in the computer and the first time, not expecting it, it is very disconcerting. We installed the -08 and after doing some taxi testing and a landing. The lag that was probably a second or so of zero brake effectiveness…but it felt like an eternity. Sent it back. The second -08 did the same thing. You brake hard and nothing, zero…and then the brakes come on hard. We haven’t gotten an answer to exactly what EMB did with the -08 vs. previously attempts but it appears they built this “pause” into the computer. Once you expect it, it’s fine and the phenom shuffle appears to be reduced slightly. You do have to be careful around the ramp or turning off the runway. To avoid the lag, and moment of anxiousness, you need to drag the brakes slightly before you plan on turning, otherwise, brake delay, then hard brakes come on, and if you’re turning, quick hard turn.
    Hope that helps.
  13. Username Protected

Thanked 28 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), what BCU version did you have previously?
  14. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected) if for me, we had -06 previously
    (Username Protected)
  15. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I had -7 previously. Even taxiing, the -8 feels more natural so far in terms of it doing what I expect it to do. I wonder if that's just because it better emulates the behavior I was used to (Eclipse).
  16. Username Protected

Thanked 28 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    When I bought my 100, it came with BCU -6. Braking seemed normal for the most part. I then "upgraded" to -7 to get the latest and greatest. Oscillations during braking after touchdown were expected from that point on. I immediately upgraded to -8 (after seeing (Username Protected)'s post above) and landings have had minimal oscillations after brake application. (Username Protected) and (Username Protected), thank you for the pointers too. It seems tremendously important to get full weight on the mains asap after touchdown before the brakes start doing their work.

Another thing to mention, my plane came with -1 brake (pads). The left side was ready for replacement before the right side. The new left side brakes were replaced with -3 and the right side still had -1. Confirm what pad series you have, because the -1 wear pin measurements are different than the -3 wear pin measurements. If you take the -1 wear pin measurement down to the the same as the -3, you may have little brake pad left. This can cause asymmetrical braking. It is optimal to have both sides as -3.
  17. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Well, now I'm AOG back at KIWA (Mesa) because the "new" BCU failed during its second flight. We're going to try swapping it out for a different BCU-8. There goes my plan to go to Oshkosh.
  18. Username Protected

Thanked 14 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Bummer (Username Protected) was it overhauled, repaired, or new when you received it?
  19. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 103 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    What is the most current BCU version for the Phenom 300?

According to the maintenance logs I have DAP00100-10; which I assume means BCU-10.
  20. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    Correct BCU-10 is the latest for P300, which came out in 2017 via Service Bulletin 505-32-0019.

HISTORY

(a) Instances of aggressive or indocile brake behavior during smooth brakeapplication have been reported.
    (b) Instances of CAS message BRK FAIL triggered during engine start or engineshutdown with brake pedals fully applied have been reported
    (c) Instances of CAS message BRK FAIL triggered during landing have beenreported.

EXPECTED BENEFITS

(a) BCU relations among brake pedals, brake pressure and aircraft decelerationwere modified to improve brake smoothness, linearity and predictability withoutaffecting maximum braking behavior.
    (b) BCU logic changed in order to avoid brake failures during engines start orengine shutdown.
    (c) BCU logic changed in order to avoid brake failures during landing.
  21. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Ok, 20 landings so far on the BCU-8. This is a clear and noticeable improvement over the BCU-7 in terms of directional control for landing. Really happy I got this accomplished.
  22. Username Protected

Thanked 28 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I agree. BCU-8 is a tremendous improvement over BCU-7.
  23. Username Protected

Thanked 7 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I have bcu 6, which EEC is saying they will not pay for the upgrade to 8. I bought it with 6 as previous owner didn't upgrade to 7 as he was told not an improvement from 6 to 7. Any advices on how to get Embraer to pay for this upgrade as I had no control over having 6 vs. 7?
  24. Username Protected

Thanked 1 time
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I'm just curious. This BCU SB came out in May of 2021. My plane went to an Embraer authorized service center in January of 2022. The service center made no mention to me of BCU 8 being available. When I read this thread a few days ago, well over a year after the SB came out, I asked my service center why I hadn't been made aware of an upgraded BCU being available for my Phenom, an upgrade that Embraer would pay for (as long as it was accomplished within a specific timeframe), here's the answer I got. "Research of Service Bulletins that are not regulatory or associated with an AD is an aircraft management function. We do not provide this service."

Am I out of line to expect my service center to have told me about this Service Bulletin? What was your experience with your maintenance facility?
  25. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 507 times
    Phenom 300 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected),

I wouldn't except a service center to research and propose SBs unless you engage specificallyfor that task, although I think that a great service center sales team would help you prepare the upcoming scope and put as many relevant things on there as needed. As you mentioned it is critical to get some SBs done during the open campaign window.

On the right side of the desktop version of Phenom Pilots under "Phenom MX News" I try to link to relevant threads as they come up.
  26. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 64 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    (Username Protected), I think most service centers would talk to you about SBs because it’s more business for them, however the BCU is a unique situation. If you have BCU 6, I wouldn’t change. I gave a lot of thought to switching back to 6 from 8.
  27. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 47 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    I had an issue with the 7 by indicating brake fail in air until arrival. At the end was no brake issue at all. Was updated about four weeks ago with SB500-32-0019 to 8 BCU. Issue did not came back but saw ones a CAS flash of brake fail but went away after a second. 8 BCU is good by now, as (Username Protected) wrote you have to ask for.

28. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 58 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    Issue did not came back but saw ones a CAS flash of brake fail but went away after a second
    A known issue with the BCU-8 is that you may get Brake Fail or Anti-Skid Fail CAS messages during engine start. These may be safely disregarded. There is a FOL to that effect that stresses that the presence of these spurious CAS messages should not be treated as a reason to avoid the BCU upgrade, which is otherwise an important safety upgrade.
  29. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 42 times
    Phenom 100 Owner & Pilot
    What is the safety benefit of the BCU-8 vs say the BCU-6 or 7?

Thanks!

(Username Protected)
  30. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 123 times
    Phenom Instructor/Mentor
    (Username Protected)-

From the SBs:

SB to convert -7 to -8:

EMBRAER has received reports of perceived low-braking performance during landings with airplanes equipped with BCU-7. Flight Data Recorder (FDR) analysis has shown that the hydraulic pressure measured in one of the brake assemblies was lower than expected during the landing run, leading to an unannounced asymmetrical loss of normal brake system...
    The new Brake Control Unit software removes the switching between independent and paired control that could lead to an asymmetrical braking during landing. It also adds field loadable property and corrects the locked wheel function implementation.

SB to convert -6 to -8:

The new Brake Control Unit incorporates improvements regarding the lateral controllability of theaircraft and also revision of some failure monitors. It also adds field loadable property.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast